Two new Samsung CPO phones are available in the CPO Store. They are:

Samsung A13 $259

Samsung A03s $159

https://www.publicmobile.ca/phone-section

14 REPLIES 14

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am my tablet has 2gb and does pretty well

Buuuuuut that said, I've rooted it and removed all the stock crap I don't use/prefer 3rd party alternatives that I know is safe to remove, and I hibernate much of the rest. You can also disable certain processes/services of an app you do otherwise want to keep. It would likely chug if I hadn't put effort into doing this. Twitter on browser (not app) can chug after a bit of browsing, even crash and refresh. But that's everywhere. Tablet, phone, even desktop which I think has 8 gigs ram. I think it's a twitter thing lol

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LeePublic wrote:

@computergeek541  Agreed, it seems like the low-mid range Samsung phones we get in Canada the past year have fallen off the cliff in terms of quality and value because there's virtually no competition. Like there's no A23 or A33 in Canada. Sure there's TCL and Motorola but those aren't as popular.

I'm with you here 100%.  Android device selection in general in Canada has become quite spartan.  There are very few "unlocked" models now being sold through the mainstream retail channels (Costco, Staples, BestBuy), and most of the decent mid-range and up are only sold through carriers wanting to look one into a 24 month financing arrangement.

Motorola/Lenovo has provided excellent value in the low-mid landscape but the selection sucks compared to the US and newer releases continue to see downgraded components...like Snapdragon SoCs --> MediaTek.

I don't like the Samsung bloat and UI skin, so that really leaves me/others with Motorola or Pixel.  

Kristowhy

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am @LeePublic 

The A03s is a really bad device.  It is so slow that you'll experience random 10 second freezes. It's too the point of unusability.  Even if the the device was good (which it isn't), the $159 price for a this as a used device is awful.  It can be found for less on a regular basis elsewhwre with the same warranty.  Brand new, this device is only about $10 more.

4GB ram is a bare minimum these days.  It is best to avoid anything that has less ram.  The temporary freezing is due to lack of ram.  

6GB/128GB is the minimum recommended spec from Google for an Android 12 based device.  That hasn't stopped the few remaining Android handset makers from still producing 4GB/64GB or 4GB/128GB A12 devices.

However, to get a well spec'd mid-ranger for more heavy use requires a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

LeePublic

@computergeek541  Agreed, it seems like the low-mid range Samsung phones we get in Canada the past year have fallen off the cliff in terms of quality and value because there's virtually no competition. Like there's no A23 or A33 in Canada. Sure there's TCL and Motorola but those aren't as popular.

@JL9 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, how competitive is that price?

Neither are priced well. You can't really blame Telus for trying to secure as much as possible for the shareholders, but if warranty isn't a concern, variants of the A13 can be had brand new for less.

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am @LeePublic 

The A03s is a really bad device.  It is so slow that you'll experience random 10 second freezes. It's too the point of unusability.  Even if the the device was good (which it isn't), the $159 price for a this as a used device is awful.  It can be found for less on a regular basis elsewhwre with the same warranty.  Brand new, this device is only about $10 more.

4GB ram is a bare minimum these days.  It is best to avoid anything that has less ram.  The temporary freezing is due to lack of ram.  

The Canadian version of the Galaxy A03s only includes 3GB of RAM. Samsung could have just have easily grabbed an older device from 4 or 5 years ago and re-relased it with a newer operating system.  It would have performed better. They just didn't do that becuase they would get called out for it.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am @LeePublic 

Kristowhy

The 1+ year old Moto G Play 2021 at Costco for $190-$200 is a far better choice.

@will13am @LeePublic 

Pawprints1986

Only problem with these (cpo in general) is the battery... I have an s5 neo that I use as a tablet for games and web and stuff. Battery goes to crap, I buy a replacement and off I go. But these? You have to either be confident enough to heat it up, open it up, place the delicate cable properly without breaking any other delicate cables, and somehow seal it back up. Or, go somewhere and pay someone to do it, in which case you may as well buy a new device especially budget models. 

It's so much easier to remove a click battery door, shove in a rectangle with metal contacts and be on your way lol. 

On the plus side at least they're getting away from the curve edge displays. I use an s7 as my phone currently. It's the newest Samsung non budget flat screen device, until the very new ones are finally flat again like s22 but $1000+ new. it stinks having the non user removable battery though. I'd love to see user removable batteries come back along with the flat displays. I never trust the water resistance anyway. It would be my luck I've got the one with the factory flaw in the seal lol. 

Bit of a ramble. Lol. Without brand new batteries, most people know how to reformat a device and could renew it and buff out slight scratches themselves 🤔 I get why they won't sell them "as is" with other people's info still in it though. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@LeePublic 

I gave seen prices are the same or $50 more on Staples back to school deals for the same model but they were spanking brand new.

There is also a $10 off if you order online for orders over $100.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

In that case maybe a touch on the high side then lol

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

These two phones are extremely basic to the point of being slightly above a flip phone.  @computergeek541 can provide some personal experience.  

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for the heads up, how competitive is that price?

Need Help? Let's chat.