cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice - Koodo Talk & Text offer $20

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I received an offer for Koodo Talk & Text for $20 /month plus $120 in bill credits ($10/month). 

- Already have a phone, so don't need one. 

- Currently on the $25 provincial calling + text plan. No data.

- Don't travel to other provinces, so the addition of Canada wide calling is not a big deal.

- During the past 8 months, have averaged about 5$ in rewards, so my 30 day cost is about $18 (with $2 auto-pay).  Will drop by $1 (Loyalty bonus) in Jan 2019.

My main concern is MMS.

- Koodo says that MMS is included, but I DO NOT want any data.  From what I can see on the Koodo community, MMS won't work if you don't have data (unlike PM).  Posts on Koodo community, and here in the PM community indicate that there is an add-on ($2) that allows MMS but blocks data.

I went through the sign up steps on the Koodo web-site(without actually ordering), and when I got to the add-ons, I only had a long distance choice.  Nothing about Data block with MMS for $2.  Would I be able to add that through Koodo self serve before incurring any charges?  Don't want to call Koodo support and have to pay $10(?) for them to do it.

Koodo bill credit is after tax, so for me in QC, that's actually equivalent to about $8.70/ month.  So, I would theoretically be paying 20 - 8.70 + 2(MSM without data) = $13.70 (+tax).

Are there any other gotchas with Koodo? 

- I know US LD is more expensive (compared to $8/200 mins with PM), as is US roaming.  Koodo has Int'l roaming, but it is $12/day Man Sad  None of these are particularly important for the time being. 

- There was something about a Tab charge when I went through the order process(but no amount actually shown), but since I am using my own phone, I assume there would be no Tab charge for me.  Would that be correct?

- I actually called Koodo, and the rep said there was no problem with MMS with a talk & text (only) plan, but I have little faith in his response.  He said nothing about having to buy an add on for MMS ($2).

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated.  Are there any referral bonuses I could take advantage of?

Once the $10 / mth bill credit expires, or PM has a better promo, might be back...

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@matbasm, for what it is worth, I just got off the phone with a Koodo rep.  She said the $20 migration talk-and-text offer includes the data block for $0.  She said the block is added to make the Koodo plan like the Public Mobile talk-and-text plans (ie. you don't pay for data so no chance of accidentally using data).  She did say that MMS will continue to work.

I hope the above helps with your decision.  I am still trying to make mine...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile is the low cost carrier.  For customers with basic talk and text plans, I don't believe Koodo is the place.  The idea of these migration offers is to have customers move up the food chain, i.e., try to get customer to buy into a more premium service.  With respect to the data concerns, Koodo supposedly has shock free data where the customer has to authorize overages.  If a plan has no data and no authorization is given for overages, then there should theoretically be no concerns of extra charges for data.  All the points made about how it is advantageous to stay with this service makes a whole lot of sense to me. 

@matbasm wrote:

@mimmoit was JOINKOODOAUGTT.  Offer ends Sept 4 (in my case).

This will most likely be like the $35/5gb plan where you need a pin code as well as the promo code.

@Jorno wrote:

I received the same offer and have similar concerns with regards to data.  The details of the offer says additional data is $7/100MB.  With Public Mobile, there is no chance I can accidentally use data.  How does it work with Koodo if a talk-and-text plan attempts to use data?

If you are concerned about accidently using data just turn your celluar data off on your phone for everything but MMS. 

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I received the same offer and have similar concerns with regards to data.  The details of the offer says additional data is $7/100MB.  With Public Mobile, there is no chance I can accidentally use data.  How does it work with Koodo if a talk-and-text plan attempts to use data?

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mimmoit was JOINKOODOAUGTT.  Offer ends Sept 4 (in my case).

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What was the promo code number? I might see if my parents are eligable.

Need Help? Let's chat.