cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My sons are not getting my text messages

MartinS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My whole family has Public Mobile plans.  In the last few days, whenever I send a text to either of my two sons, they don't get the message.  When they send a message to me, it works no problem, but when I reply, they do not receive anything.  Strangely, my wife gets my messages without problems.  What is going on?  Everything worked just fine before my trip to NYC last weekend, and when I came back there are these problems.  Any help would be appreciated!

23 REPLIES 23

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

Did you tap on SMS app/Messages? When I tap on it I have :

• Textnow

My stock messaging app is chosen. It's also listed as my SMS app under the app info in the Settings>>Apps& Notifications>> Messages>>Advanced>>SMS app>> Yes 

Both Messenger and Textnow have SMS app>>No

MartinS

How do I check that?  If I go into my settings, then Apps, then Default apps, it does not list WhatsApp at all. It only shows a few apps, including Chrome for Browser app, Google for digital assistant app, and Messages for SMS app.  Messages has the same logo as my texting app, so I assume that's what its called. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

So is WhatsApp your preferred messaging app?

MartinS

The 'SMS app' is shown as my default Messages app.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

Check your app settings. Do you have WhatsApp set as your default messaging app? Or your stock messaging app? This could be over riding your stock app.

MartinS

My son went through rebooting his phone and deleting my contact.  That did not work.

Today I tried something different - deleted his contact and then he sent me a WhatsApp message.  This message showed up as from a number, not from any of my contacts.  Then I added this number to my contacts through the WhatsApp application.  I then went into my contacts app, and sent him a text message.  He finally got it!  So adding a contact normally did not work (even though it always worked before), but adding it though the WhatsApp application did work.  I don't understand this at all, but at least I have a workaround that actually worked!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

You might as well ask your son to run thru the troubleshooting list 

• Reboot phone.
  • Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  • Clear app cache 
  • Delete contact/messaging thread. Add contact. Test.

@dust2dust 

Thank you. Fixed.

MartinS

I will ask him to give deletion of the entire message thread with me a try.  I don't think he has access to another phone easily, he is a student in Montreal and I am in Toronto.

Do it on your sons phone. On his phone click in the conversation and delete the whole history of your conversations. That is of course if he keeps things. He could back things up to keep the history. And any pics.

Or can he try his sim in another phone as suggested earlier?

MartinS

Thanks for those suggestions, I will submit a ticket.

MartinS

I have definitely tried communicating when both phones were on wifie, it did not make any difference. 

I don't really understand KamWest's suggestion - all I am trying to do is to send a reply to a text from my son, so there is no long string of text messages back and forth, it is only one message from him, and he does not receive my reply even though my phone says that my message was sent.  I have also deleted that message and just composed a new message to him, not as a reply, and it goes out on my phone as normal, but he does not get it.

@darlicious- So the thread was refreshed by the OP and I had a read and I see that your MMSC is incomplete. But that shouldn't affect the OP. It needs a .net .

@MartinS- Did you try the idea from KamWest? On all phones? If you're on wifi do any messages get through to your sons?

@MartinS  

At this point, I would suggest you open ticket with PM Support , they could reset some settings on the server and that should resolve the issue:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

MartinS

I have reset my network settings, and also rebooted my phone with the SIM card out and then back in again, and I asked my sons to do the same. Unfortunately it did not help.  SMS messages between my sons and me only go through one way - I can receive them but they don't receive my messages.  I gave up and I am using WhatsApp to communicate with them right now.

i also tried deleting the contact and adding it back again. I added it without the 1 or +1 in front, since their area code is the same as mine, and other numbers worked fine if I just added the contact without editing the number after the person has texted me.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS  - I would suggest to try your sons' sim cards into another another compatible working phone, try and see if you have any services. If so, put the sim card back into your sons' respective phones. 

Did this help ?

If it didn't help and you did have service in another phone try performing a reset of the device's network settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

Go to your Settings>>Apps>>Messages>>Storage&Cache>>clear cache

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

There have been a couple similar issues to yours recently that involved some travel and it came down to their APN defaulting back to the phone's original provider as I recall. That does not seem to be the case for you. Try clearing the cache of your messaging app before trying the removal and re-adding of your son's as contacts.

MartinS

I have rebooted the phone, and my son's, plenty of data still available to me, and it works when I text with my wife.

The phone reports Android 12 software updated August 4, 2022.

How do I clear cached data on my text app?  I don't see that option anywhere.

Thanks!

MartinS

Thanks for your message.  My phone is a Motorola Moto G(60) XT2135-2. The weird thing is that it worked just fine a week ago. One of my sons is using a Samsung Galaxy S8+, while the other son is using an iPhone 10, both say that I am not on their blocked list... 

My text bubbles are a pale blue, while the son with the Samsung has green bubbles, not sure about the iPhone since he is away.

I have rebooted my phone, and the Samsung phone of one of my sons, no help. We all have sufficient data remaining on the account.

I checked my software, it is running Android 12 last updated August 4, 2022.

I checked the APN settings, nearly identical to what you posted, except the APN protocol is listed as IPv4/IPv6 on mine.

I have not tried to delete the contact and add it again, but I checked the number and it is correct.  In any case, I am just trying to respond to a text received from him.

This is super frustrating... especially that it just happened out of the blue, and I can text other people, though obviously I have not checked with each of my contacts.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

What is the make and model of your phone? And the rest of your family? Have you enabled chat features (RCS) by accident? Are your chat bubbles in your messaging app dark blue (RCS) or light blue (SMS)? Or has the opposite happened? Do you normally communicate with RCS or iMessage thus using data? Has your APN or carrier settings changed to default settings in your phone? Check your APN. Here is a comparison pm APN from my motto g7+ though there are a few slightly different versions that can be used for Public Mobile.

Name

Mobile Internet

APN

sp.mb.com

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

Not set

Password

Not set

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy

mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

Not set

APN type

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol

IPv4

APN roaming protocol

IPv4

APN enable/disable

APN enabled

Bearer

Unspecified

MVNO type

GID

MVNO value

4D4F

Edit:

Corrected MMSC

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had the same with my wife, I had her delete the entire text string and after that it worked.

Who knows, maybe the string was too long, we had it for 4 years

@MartinS wrote:

My whole family has Public Mobile plans.  In the last few days, whenever I send a text to either of my two sons, they don't get the message.  When they send a message to me, it works no problem, but when I reply, they do not receive anything.  Strangely, my wife gets my messages without problems.  What is going on?  Everything worked just fine before my trip to NYC last weekend, and when I came back there are these problems.  Any help would be appreciated!

There used to be an issue with incoming text messages when coming back into Canada. However, that past problem was stated to be fixed, and even then that problem with was for all incoming text messgaes and only last for 24 hours.  I can only hope that a similar bug hasn't surfaced.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@MartinS 

rebooting all devices.

add +1 or 1 in front of area code,

your device is Android,

• turn off device take out SIM card and inserted back and turn on,
  • Airplane Mode on/off
  • go to your text app clear cache/clear data,
  • updated version of Messages app,
  • if outgoing texts messages from specific contacts

Delete the contact and Verify that their phone number is correct,