cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone plan changed without any notice! Getting charged extra

waqarb85
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello experts,

I have been on a grandfathered $10 monthly plan for over 3 years now. This plan is for my mother who rarely uses the phone, it perfectly fits our need. I get the loyalty and autopay bonus and up until now I have been very happy with this.

Just recently, I see that the plan has changed to $13 per 30 days. It used to be $10 per 30 days. There was no communication from Public Mobile stating the increase in the plan. I see that the $3 extra is for the 50 texts and 50 minutes, which should already be part of the plan. I am extremely confused

Date Transaction Type Credit (Payments) Debit (Charges)  

May 23, 202250 Texts/50 textos pour $1.50 
May 23, 202250 Minutes /50 minutes d’appel $1.50 
May 23, 202230-day plan/Forfait de 30 jours $10.00 

Would greatly appreciate your support with this

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@iliketotalk 

You have the $10 plan? Are you accepting the code breach by public mobile and agreeing to pay the higher price?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx you could search it on the community and see several threads about it from pissed off customers over the last few months.

edited by computergeek541:  removed inappropriate language.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@waqarb85 

Don't change the plan yet. Complain to customer support that your terms of service are for the $10 50/50 legacy plan. When they give you the completely unjustified excuse for this unreasonable 30% rate hike tell them you have no choice but to complain to the CCTS.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yet another no-known-notification forced plan change. This was all done unlawfully. If your mother doesn't do or notice any texts (like mine) then she may not have noticed a text from 5129. If she also doesn't do any email then same thing with this one from the account email. I have 3 of these plans. One got email. Two others got text.

However, as we are seeing with inflation and this impacting seniors and fixed income or low income people to the point of making uncomfortable financial adjustments elsewhere due to this price hike because they should have a phone...this is all kinds of wrong to impact this plan only. If the company is so hard up for cash then stop with the promos and freebies. Or increase all rates across the board. Then everyone can share in the pain. But no. The least plan for the most marginalized people gets impacted. Few people here care about those people.

You're seeing an effective rate increase from 37.5% up to 100% just for being loyal and making use of their customer rewards having a credit card registered for autopay. Complain to the CCTS.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@waqarb85  - there was no Announcement posted here on the forum, just other customers reporting they received communications about it.

There should have been some communications (text, email..) sent to these grandfathered customer back in March giving a notice about this change.

If you see no record of this notification, you could let CSA know.

Public Mobile Representatives customer support agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

Does your mom currently have her services working and is the account showing active?

There seemed to have been some customers on this rate plan that it did not renew on renewal due to this change. Not sure how their payment methods were set up though.

If she does not show an active account, ensure to add the minimum owing manually to the account, then reactivate the services.

edit: if you switch to a new plan you will not lose the loyalty bonus or refer a friend rewards, autopay, etc.

NOTE: I suggest you make sure NOT to opt into the PUBLIC POINTS rewards system. At this rate plan, it will not be as good as the old rewards system.

And, once you opt in there is no opting back to the old rewards.

waqarb85
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for the reply. Do you have the link to the announcement?

Also, do you know if I switch to a different plan, will my current loyalty bonus also count towards the new plan or will I be starting over with the new plan?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

This was announced months ago. PM increased $10 Plan to $13.

Everything stays the same with the plan features except 30% price increase.

I believe current $15 is better choice for low use but it is up to you to switch or not. Unfortunately that was PM decision.

Thus be careful how do you pay for the plan. If you pay manually add $3 extra to $10 payment. I you are on autopay you should not be worried.

Search through Community for heated discussion regarding this increase.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@waqarb85  hi unfortunately we are all paying 13 dollars now I feel your pain you can complain to 

customer support submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Need Help? Let's chat.