cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone number is registered as a landline, how can I get this corrected to show it's a mobile?

Taiyell
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm trying to register for ChatGPT and they don't support landline numbers for account verification. This is how I discovered my mobile phone is registered as a landline. I need this corrected, who do I talk to in order to get this done?

21 REPLIES 21

PublicRob1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi ! Trying to register as well with ChatGPT and get the same message :  "It looks like this phone number is a landline. Please provide a valid, non-landline phone number to continue."

My guess is that my number WAS originally a land line that I ported in to a cell phone but for some unknon reason, is still identified as a landline. If I try to submit it a few times for registration, I then get a message to contact CGPT help service...which is not interactive and where you cannot speak to someone... If anyone has any idea how to solve this, pls let me know.

Taiyell

I'm curious, where are you getting the information that this is due to ChatGPTs database? It seems when anyone looks up my number it shows up as a Bell Canada Landline. Why do you assume the issue is on ChatGPTs end rather than on the carriers side of things?

Taiyell

I guess I'm not going to resolve the issue and just need to accept that I've been **bleep**ed over by flawed automated systems with no ability to talk to a real person. Just the world we live in today 😕 

It doesn't seem to be important to anyone who could do anything about it, but it's definitely important to me. 

I receive texts and 2fa without issue, if it weren't for ChatGPT refusing to even try and send me a verification code, I wouldn't have known my number was registered to a landline. 

Nobody but chatgpt can do anything. They have a database that tells them that that number is a landline which implies no texting. They need to change that for you. But if and when you stop using chatgpt then they might not know to change it back to original.

The designation is inherent to the number. But as I said, I stored an inherently cellular provider number and it got changed to being a landline. So weird things happen with moving numbers around.

@Taiyell   519-535-xxxx is a Bell Canada number and not Bell Mobility number.  I wonder if it is the reason

Again, if it is truely a landline number, I still think there is nothing anyone can do.   All those systems if they want to check if  a number is a landline or mobile, they only check the number's original owner, which is a landline. 

Now, see if ChatGPT is smarter to fix it  🙂

@Taiyell wrote:

So it would be bell Canada that I need to contact to get this issue resolved?

I am very interested HOW are you going to resolve this issue. Your number is defined as 'land line'. I doubt Bell will change designation to 'mobile' as the whole prefix is 'land'.

If you want your number to be 'real' mobile number you will have to pick one of available PM numbers.

But you never know?!

Keep us in the loop as this is very important issue.

Can you receive SMS on this number? Can you receive 2FA?

Taiyell

So it would be bell Canada that I need to contact to get this issue resolved?

This is pure LAND line

Meow_0-1682090008157.png

I was afraid that porting 'land' line will get somebody in trouble as companies sending 2FA codes will recognize number as 'land line' and will not do SMS.

That number originates from Bell Canada. There's also a Bell Mobility. So maybe chatgpt has it right. But I would think they should be able to alter for these cases where a number has been moved to a cell service.

Taiyell

My apologies, I misunderstood, 519-535

Taiyell

My apologies, I misunderstood. 519-535

@Taiyell   

if 519 is the area code, please give us the next 3 digits as well

6 digits. Not the last 4.

Taiyell

Taiyell

@Taiyell wrote:

I did not, I ported in my mobile number that I've had for a decade and a half that I've only ever had on mobile phones. 

Please provide area code and ONLY first 3 digits of your phone. I will let you know where your phone number belongs to (land or mobile).

Can you share the area code and first 3 digits?

I know of a number that started out as a cell number then went to a holding service that turned it into what looked like a landline.

If you got that number as a new number from a cell provider then you need to talk to chatgpt to update their system. It seems they're the ones that have this wrong.

Taiyell

I did not, I ported in my mobile number that I've had for a decade and a half that I've only ever had on mobile phones. 

Taiyell

The number I ported has only been associated with a mobile phone in the decade and a half I've had it. I'm not sure how or why it is registered as a landline, nor how long it's been registered as one. There has to be something that can be done, this registration information is kept somewhere and someone had to register it initially, I don't accept that this isn't possible to fix. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Taiyell   if you ported a landline to PM, I am afraid that is not much you can do

Many systems validate the phone number simply by where it came from originally (they check the area code plus the next 3 digits), they have no ability to check which provider currently owns the number,  There is really nothing Public Mobile can do.    You might need to register with a friend's mobile number instead in this situation

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Taiyell , did you port a landline number to this service recently?

Need Help? Let's chat.