cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My friend is thinking about switching to public

Auntie-audi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My friend is thinking about switching to public mobile but she needs to keep her number that she has. She is currently with Telus if she switches to public can she keep her number??

8 REPLIES 8

viveksingh905
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

yes she can

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@robvic21 wrote:

My whole family switched over from TELUS, and we all kept our same cell numbers.  We went to a Koodo kiosk, and they did everything for us.  It was. $35 per phone to have them switch us over, but, including the prepayment on Public for the first month, plus all the activation and switch over costs, we still paid LESS for the month than what TELUS was charging us.  Going forward for 3 phones, we are SAVING $150 per month! 

@robvic21

Welcome....xtra money now for Champagne and party hats..😀🍷

Happy New Year

robvic21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My whole family switched over from TELUS, and we all kept our same cell numbers.  We went to a Koodo kiosk, and they did everything for us.  It was. $35 per phone to have them switch us over, but, including the prepayment on Public for the first month, plus all the activation and switch over costs, we still paid LESS for the month than what TELUS was charging us.  Going forward for 3 phones, we are SAVING $150 per month!

@Auntie-audi wrote:

My friend is thinking about switching to public mobile but she needs to keep her number that she has. She is currently with Telus if she switches to public can she keep her number??

Just make sure that you follow the correct number porting procedure in the sense that you need to make sure that your Telus service is still up and running when you have Public Mobile make the number portability request.

Many here believe that you should get your service up and running with a brand new number, and then at a later time, request the phone number for the other carrier to be transfered.  I do, however, believe that it makes little to no difference.

The one scenario that the above tries to avoid is the situation in which the number gets fully ported over to Public Mobile, even though the new Public Mobile service never got activated properly.  In that sense, you would not have any working Public Mobile service, and the Telus service would have also stopped working.  But, that's really only one possible scenario.

Even when activating at Public Mobile with a brand new number, the same could happen, the only difference being because you had not yet requested a phone number transfer, the Telus service would still be working.

Problems with activation and number porting do happen.  They aren't supposed to, but things do occassionally fail.

With the idea of taking a brand new number and then porting over at  later time, that assumes that the failed activation but number still gets transfered over problem is more likely than a system glitch that causes some type of failure with a delayed number portability.  We don't actually know that to be a fact.  For all we know, the probability of a failure by porting over at a later time could (but might not) be higher.  In fact, even when porting over at a later time, Telus might fully release the phone number to Public Mobile, but Public Mobile's system could cause an error making it so that incoming phone calls don't get received (at either brand's service).

What I will say is that by taking a new number and then porting over later, that's actually an additional step that increases the changes of something going wrong, although I understand that we're trying to decrease the risk of others not being able to reach us.  Mathematically, we customers really don't know which method of number porting has a higher or lower success rate. 

Danitoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just set up account yesterday, i chose "use my own number" and it worked perfectly, PM service worked almost instantly. no need to get a new number and then change it. make  sure you have your account # or PIN# and the account holders name. easy peasy.

TMS
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Auntie-audi wrote:

Activate sim/account and select a phone number that Public Mobile gives you. 

Then after, when account is active, PORT her number over to Public Mobile. 😉

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

She sure can keep her existing number if she comes to PM. When she signs on, just select a new number. Once the phone is up and running, then she can port over old number from Telus. Could take a few minutes to several hours for a successful port to complete.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Auntie-audi wrote:

@Auntie-audi

Yes she can keep her number by porting it from telus to PM

Need Help? Let's chat.