cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PM Story :) :) :)

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My life with PM since I've joined less than one and a half months ago. The roller coaster ride by Michael77 🙂

- after almost 7 years with FM I made a tough decision to switch from FM to PM 🙂 😞

- paid off my extremely large FM tab 😞

- gave up a really good plan for a better network 🙂 😞

- my PM port failed 😞 

- it took almost 48 hours for PM to fix it 😞 🙂

- had no data so I had to factory reset my phone 😞

- lost some of my docs on my phone from the reset 😞

- finally got everything up and running- happy! 🙂

- PM starts Chatr pricing 😞

- the community starts to talk about losing the 4 gig - $40 plan 😞

- the community talks about PM raising our plan price 😞

- my tethering did not work 😞

- tethering fixed quickly by PM 🙂

- Koodo makes a $50 5 gig plan offer 🙂 😞

- I didn't get the text Smiley Indifferent

- Community talking about PM closing down. 😞

- PM and Telus say PM is not going anywhere 🙂

I'm sure I missed some things, I just can't remember everything. It's felt like I've been a PM customer for years. 🙂 I just can't wait to see what's coming next. 🙂 I guess I should just enjoy the ride. 🙂

11 REPLIES 11

Michael77
@skmkenn, thanks for your replay and information.

Michael77
@will13am, thanks for sharing. 🙂

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for sharing your story @Michael77. Hopefully you'll have a smoother experience going forward now that the dust has settled.

I've had a pretty good experience so far. The only issue I've encountered was with the tethering outage last week, other than that it's been smooth sailing and the moderators were able to get a few things on my account taken care of quickly and exceeded my expectations. 

I've been on the other side of the wireless industry in the past (sales, service, and back office) and have to say that I really like the cooperative model that Public Mobile employs. Personally I'd much rather deal with online support than wait on hold and get transferred around multiple times if there's an issue.

In terms of pricing, I think that Public Mobile's plans are fair when you look at the current state of wireless services in Canada on a national scale, especially for a data heavy user (I'm not going to discuss regional carriers because let's face it, their coverage generally fails to deliver) and take into consideration that the service is prepaid.

Public Mobile:

Unlimited nationwide calling, international text messaging, and 6 GB of LTE data

Cost: $80 ($240 on a 90 day plan)

To put the pricing into perspective:

Fido Prepaid

Unlimited nationwide calling, international text messaging, 2 GB of data

2 cents per MB overage rate x 4096 MB additional data

Plan Cost: $70.00

Additional data: $81.92

Total cost: $151.92

Does not include tethering!

Koodo Prepaid:

Unlimited province wide calling, international text messaging, 1 GB of data

Add five 1 GB data add-ons for a total of 6 GB of data

Plan Cost: $55

Additional data: $150

Total Cost: $205

I won't discuss the prepaid offerings from Bell, Rogers, and TELUS because you might as well throw your wallet on the ground and burn it for the amount you'd have to pay, or at least prepare to chop off a limb or two.

Even when compared to a monthly plan on postpaid service (Bring Your Own Phone), Public Mobile is still less expensive. For the same plan as listed above, the cost on the big three brands (Bell, Rogers, and TELUS) are higher:

Bell$105/month plus tax.

Rogers: $105/month plus tax.

TELUS: $120/month plus tax.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Glad to be here, enjoying the service and happy to be a part of the Community. Smiley Very Happy

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Michael77, I was a Wind customer for more than 4 years when I joined last year.  My ride has been more like a trip through the Bonneville salt flats.  The only hiccup for me during activation was trying to use the same credit card more than 2 times.  More recently, I lost a batch of referrals in error.  The folks in the back office are still hard at work trying to figure this one out.  The failed tethering last week was a strange one.  I didn't know until I saw it reported in this forum.  I don't always tether.  The resolution was beyond expectation.  Tech support actually called me and we did troubleshooting while conversing.  I received a followup call after the problem was resolved.  This was five star customer service. 

As for the Koodo offer, none of my accounts received the offer.  It doesn't matter, I don't use more than 4 gigs per month consistently and so the 12 gigs over 90 days is like 5 gigs a motnh to me anyway.  So, I am not willing to spend one red cent more for that extra data.  If once in a blue moon, I run out of data, then so be it.  I am not paying extra every month to have the peace of mind of having 1 gig more.  I have better peace of mind knowing the money is safe in my wallet.  Who cares about Canada wide calling.  Thanks to google, all my calls are local calls. 

Michael77
@pulp74,

Thank you! 🙂

pulp74
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Thanks for sharing your story. Even though your story was a roller-coaster I am sure you will enjoy the service now. You cannot even compare your previous provider to Public Mobile in terms of reception quality and coverage! Welcome to our community and enjoy the service!

Michael77

Thanks, @NDesai 

Michael77

@stonechucker

Thanks for the good laugh! 🙂

Imagine how I feel at 14 months!  Kidding, very few issues, always during quick response service levels.

im not switching, if I get the text... sort of feel left out though lol...

I hate all the negative PM bashing, the will PM close, will PM make us pay more, will PM force me to change plans.  ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Michael77
I guess I was just trying to have some fun with my experience. I am definitely happy. 🙂 🙂 🙂

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

I cannot seems to figure out if you are really happy or sad, but thanks for the summary 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.