cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most networks will be getting 5G, what does that mean for PM?

Phebz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have recently heard that Canadian mobile networks will soon be getting 5G. That means that those who are on 4G/LTE will be on the new 5G networks. Ultimately, this means that 3G customers will be upgraded to 4G/LTE. Does anyone have some more facts or insights on how accurate this rumour is? I know some of the US networks have already been running on 5G for quite some time. I’m curious to know why Canada is so far behind in the technology.

7 REPLIES 7

Not sure if your question has been answered to your liking. If not, can you rephrase it? I'm having a hard time understanding what you're asking.

Phebz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was only generalizing 3G networks, and did not state specifically just on PM networks. Yes, I am aware PM customers are currently throttled on LTE already. I was more generally stating how the “upgrade” system will ultimately work for all networks from LTE to 5G, and 3G to LTE. In my opinion many of PM customers have heard from online reviews that they will ultimately be on LTE, hence why they would be on PM compared to Lucky, Chatr etc.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@Phebz

Ultimately this is up to Telus, but I can speak on what I know.

5G NSA (non standalone) is launching in the US soon. It's not live yet. NSA requires a phone with simultaneous 4G LTE and 5G NR connectivity to the network. Currently there are no mobile phones available, but will be coming in the next half year.

Canada can't launch mobile 5G for now, because our spectrum auctions haven't taken place yet. Auction for 3.5 GHz in Canada will be in 2020, and 28 GHz will be in 2021.

We will be about 3-4 years behind the US when it comes to mobile 5G. We may or may not get fixed 5G before that time, but those would be for home internet connections, not for mobile phones.

By the way, what do you mean by 3G customers being upgraded to 4G? All 3G Telus customers can use LTE today. There's no account restriction on the technology.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There is an off topic thread about how out of touch Public Mobile and other third tier brands are trying shill "3G data".  This is Canada.  By the time 5G fully rolls out, it could easily be a decade down the road. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

do you really need 5g?  most people are happy on the capped lte speed plans. I doubt there will be any 5g at PM in the near future.

Out of curiosity do any phones use 5g?  I think there is a mod for the moto z line, but that is all i know of at the moment

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Just my opinion but for what it's worth...Big Cdn Telco's usually don't get too busy unless they get $ome help from govt...lot$ of help.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Phebz wrote:

I have recently heard that Canadian mobile networks will soon be getting 5G. That means that those who are on 4G/LTE will be on the new 5G networks. Ultimately, this means that 3G customers will be upgraded to 4G/LTE. Does anyone have some more facts or insights on how accurate this rumour is? I know some of the US networks have already been running on 5G for quite some time. I’m curious to know why Canada is so far behind in the technology.

@PhebzPublic mobile 3G is already 4G/LTE (but throttled). ((Unless you actually manually connect your phone to 3G or a old / incompatible phone)) Maybe the 3G / LTE Lite users, will be moved over to 5G with the same speed throttling that is already in effect, no one will really know until not only the network is introduced, in place and available and we have official statements and documentation.

It's up to the people in charge to decide what kind of speeds and technology they offer the bottom barrelers on their lowest tier service. Everything else is just speculation and what someone heard from some guys room mate doesn't mean anything.

Now instead of being able to use up your 5gb LTE plan in 3 minutes you can theoretically use your entire monthly data plan in 1.8 seconds. Great. Sure hope no one clicks a speed test.

Need Help? Let's chat.