cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing text messages

nbosscher
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Between morning of Dec 8 till shortly after 4pm on Dec 9, I didn't receive any text messages even tho 2 of my friends on different carriers texted me. I checked my usage on self-serve and they didn't show there either. What's going on?

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShaunVancouver wrote:

@srlawren As a person using their phone for business and as a primary means to communicate with clients  I can't even believe its possible.

@ShaunVancouver I agree that it's not acceptable and should have been fixed long, long ago.  Any sort of data loss bug should be super-high priority.  That said, typical community* recommendation is to avoid using Public Mobile service for professional/business use.  There are just too many quirks like this, combined with the inability to just pick up a phone and call in for support when things go awry, and the lack of statements/invoices except by manual request each and every time, and it's just not a great idea for professional use.  Your mileage may vary, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.  If your like is mission-critical, I'd honestly consider going with at least a 2nd-tier brand (Koodo, Virgin, Fido) if not 1st-tier (Telus, Bell, Rogers).  

*and remember, anyone with a "PM" or "MOD" badge beside their user name is just a customer like yourself and not a PM employee.  PM may not like anyone recommending their customers not to be customers, but nothing is ever "1 size fits all".  PM is great for personal usage for many people, but for business use I wouldn't recommend it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@ShaunVancouver  Public Mobiles shortcomings can be frustrating when they directly affect you and may feel this is a deal breaker for you because you use your phone for business. I do believe this is a goal mentioned in "A letter from Dave" to be finally fixed in 2020. However until that's done and now that you are aware of the problem it leaves you with two choices. Choose a different mobile provider with a higher cost but a more reliable system or employ different work around until the problem is finally fixed. The $60 US /Canada roaming plan would have suited your needs and I don't remember anyone reporting this issue on that plan once returning to Canada. There have been many requests for its return....i would snap it up if that happens. For your next trip if you use the roaming add ons again and know the approximate date and time of your return you could message a moderator to fix the issue within a certain time frame ahead of time so the texting downtime would be minimized. Unlike voicemail I  don't think you can leave a message directing texters to call during a certain downtime but it could just be chalked up to being on airplane mode for an extra few hours. Alternatively  if you have or are due to get a new phone having a dual sim phone will allow you to have a cheap US SIM card and plan (some are as low as $10 per month with calling, texting and data) to conduct your business and return calls and texts recieved on your pm phone (currently incoming texts and reportedly calls are recieved on your phone you just cant make outgoing ones). This would be cheaper than purchasing roaming add ons but would require having an American phone number. Although not ideal these are possible ways to minimize the disruption of text messaging until the problem is fixed or the $60 US plan reappears.

ShaunVancouver

@srlawren Yup you're unfortunately right about this, I spoke to the mods and those text messages are lost forever and the sender has no idea that I didn't recieve their text message. As a person using their phone for business and as a primary means to communicate with clients  I can't even believe its possible. I don't know how anyone at this company thinks this is acceptable. It's completely unprofessional and Public Mobile should be ashamed of themselves. This stupid glitch should never exist in the first place but the fact that this same problem has been around since 2016 with no one fixing it is ridiculous.

edited by computergeek541: community terms of service

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShaunVancouver wrote:

it seems to be fixed now but all those missing text messages still haven't come through and its extremely frustrating

@geopublic wrote:

@nbosscherand @ShaunVancouver My understanding is messages are stored for a period of 5 days on PM's servers. If the message is not delivered within 5 days (no service, device off, airplane mode), the message is purged. So maybe ask the moderators to check. 

@ShaunVancouver @geopublic unfortunately contacting the moderators will not help.  Those messages are lost forever.  This is the worst part of this incredibly frustrating 3-year-old bug.  You never know what you missed (unless the sender later asks why you haven't responded) and they sender never know the message disappeared into the void.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

nbosscher

Thank you folks!

@nbosscher wrote:

That's interesting because I was just in the states a week or so ago...

How can I contact a moderator? - I'm new here

@nbosscher 

stpm-new.png

@nbosscher wrote:

Use SIMon chatbot to submit a ticket to Moderators

1. Click the green "?" on the lower right of this page

2. Type "Contact moderator"

3. Click "Account-specific question"

4. Click "No, I want a human"

5. Click "Submit a ticket"

6. Login if your username/password are not filled in.

7. Click the drop down menu (in the white area).

8. Pick the topic that fits your issue and follow the directions to submit it.

9. If none of the topics are correct click Other/Something Else until you reach the blank form.

If you encounter problems with submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to Moderators, but this alternate contact method may have longer response time.

nbosscher

Ya, the messages aren't in my usage history, so I don't think that will work. Thanks for the suggestion @geopublic 

nbosscher

@nbosscherand @ShaunVancouver My understanding is messages are stored for a period of 5 days on PM's servers. If the message is not delivered within 5 days (no service, device off, airplane mode), the message is purged. So maybe ask the moderators to check. 

Note: The messages must be in your usage history, if not something else is wrong.

ShaunVancouver

I'm having the exact same problem, it started when I got back from the US. I contacted a Mod and it seems to be fixed now but all those missing text messages still haven't come through and its extremely frustrating. Contact a mod and let them know if you purchased any addons, they'll reset your account and it should start working again, not sure if you'll be able to receive those missing texts though.

iliusfaisal
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It can be for several reasons...

1.  Network issue

2. Misconfiguration in your phone’s settings.

3. Memory issue

4. Message settings issue

You can try restarting your phone first. then reset your message cache and check message settings...

By the way, Which phone you are using. iPhone or Android?

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nbosscher wrote:

Between morning of Dec 8 till shortly after 4pm on Dec 9, I didn't receive any text messages even tho 2 of my friends on different carriers texted me. I checked my usage on self-serve and they didn't show there either. What's going on?

Are you able to text out now? Calls in/out working?

Did your plan renew recently?

Have you recently travel to US and purchased US Roaming Texting Add-on?

There is a known glitch with incoming texts when this Roaming Add-on expires.

PM is attempting to fix it.

Did you recently port your number from another carrier?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@nbosscher wrote:

Had you recently returned from or had the US Roaming package expire?  It is a known issue, other that that were there anytimes you could have been without service in a building or out of antenna range?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.