cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making Calls to the US from Canada, is it free?

LegusY
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

According to this help article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/long-distance-and-us-roaming-add-ons

Making a Call to someone outside of Canada ---> In Canada: Canada-wide and to the U.S. ---> Excluding calls to the U.S., you will require a Long Distance Add-On

Does this mean calling a US number while you're in Canada is free? Since it says excluding calls to the US, then I'll need long distance add on?

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Regarding clarity.....please can you interpret this catch-22 for me?

Can the terms of service change? Yes, Public Mobile has the right to change any of the terms of service, including rates, without notice. Changes become effective thirty days after being posted at publicmobile.ca/plans. By purchasing service after a change is posted, including by continuing to top up your account, you accept the current terms of service. 

@hTideGnow   Yes, you are right but the wording could definitely be updated to stop any confusion, me thinks.. 😊

@dabr wrote:

@LegusY   I'm assuming you are referring to the following part regarding calls to the US, and yes that wording is a bit confusing/misleading..

In Canada: Canada-wide and to the U.S.Uses plan minutes before Long Distance Add-On minutes.Excluding calls to the U.S., you will require a Long Distance Add-OnUses plan minutes. If your minutes have been used, time will be taken from your Long Distance Add-On minutes.

HI  @dabr   it's confusing but not misleading, just need to read different lines on the table.. LoL

HI@LegusY     if you just joined, look forward to December.  PM has been giving Long Distance call bonus in the last 3 Christmas.  Those Long distance bonus minutes can be use to call some countries and US is one of them.  

If you are in limited minutes plan ($15 and $13), the add-on can be used as outgoing minutes to call Canada as well

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@LegusY   I'm assuming you are referring to the following part regarding calls to the US, and yes that wording is a bit confusing/misleading..

In Canada: Canada-wide and to the U.S.Uses plan minutes before Long Distance Add-On minutes.Excluding calls to the U.S., you will require a Long Distance Add-OnUses plan minutes. If your minutes have been used, time will be taken from your Long Distance Add-On minutes.

LegusY

@hTideGnow 

Oh I read it as it is.

I didn't think of the wording as the feature/name of the plans. It makes sense now thank you!!

@LegusY wrote:

I appreciate the support but the help article's language suggests that it should be free. Don't you think so?

HI @LegusY  NO, the wordings are no problem.

when they say In Canada: Canada-wide and to the U.S., it means if your plan include Canada-wide and to the US calling  (plans $50, $60 and $70)

if you have a plan ($15, $25, $35, $40), you should read the line above:   In Canada: Canada-Wide

those plans are "Canada-Wide" plans

LegusY

I appreciate the support but the help article's language suggests that it should be free. Don't you think so?

@LegusY wrote:

PM won't charge me for services that I cannot use right? Just asking because I don't want to get charged if it ended up working haha

Yes, you are perfectly correct.    PM is prepaid, you pay before you use the service.  So, if it is a chargeable calls and you don't have the add-ons, it won't work.  If it works, then you won't get extra charge

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Check before you buy the USA calling add on.....there are some numbers that you cannot call. Likely won’t affect you.....but check the list. 

LegusY

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and try calling my friend from the US.

PM won't charge me for services that I cannot use right? Just asking because I don't want to get charged if it ended up working haha

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@LegusY    No it's not free but you can purchase US LD minutes add-on $15/1000 minutes to call the US from Canada (not roaming add-on which is to be used only in the US).  Remaining minutes from the add-on stay on your account until depleted.   Make sure to first add funds and then back to purchase the correct add-on (2 step).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LegusY   No, calling to US require US calling Add-ins  (UNLESS you are on $50 plans and above, which include US calling)

1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)

but you can call for free if you don't mind using app.  Download VoIP app TextNow and you can call US and Canada for free

Need Help? Let's chat.