cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade current 3 month plan to another

blayr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently changed my plan to a 90 day plan. I've been enjoying the great outdoors more lately and I've been using up a lot more data than I had planned. Is there a way for me to upgrade to a new plan (same features, expect with more data) without paying the entire 90 day fee?

Current plan details:

- 3GB at 4G LTE Speed /90 Days
- Unlimited International Text
- Unlimited Provincial Talk

$120 per 90 Days

I've apparently already used up my 3GB. Would it be possible to upgrade to:

- 9GB at 4G LTE Speed /90days

pay the $30 difference and carry over the data usage?

9 REPLIES 9

Bell3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My suggestion is also to go with 3G speed and try $40 monthly plan. Only draw back is changing the plan in the midstream will not get any credit for unused period. Good luck.

chelsealzl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Unfortunately you can't just carry over on a new plan. Like the others suggested, definitely weigh your needs to see whether the 3G or LTE suits you better. You can get quite a bit more data on 3G for the same price. And the speed is acceptable for general usage like browsing and social media. If you are trying a new plan next time maybe consider doing a 30 day cycle first to see if you like it. If you are continuing current plan for a bit longer, purchasing a data add-on is always an option too.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@blayr wrote:

I recently changed my plan to a 90 day plan. I've been enjoying the great outdoors more lately and I've been using up a lot more data than I had planned. Is there a way for me to upgrade to a new plan (same features, expect with more data) without paying the entire 90 day fee?

Current plan details:

$120 per 90 Days

@blayr  Unfortunately no, it will cost you another $150.00 per 90 days to do an immediate switch of plans. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

One more thing do you really need lte? Most of people claim that throttled lte to 3g speed is more than enough.

Why don't you take a look at some discussions in the community about the speed and maybe borrow a phone from a friend or family member who is on pm to check it out. Maybe even visit one of those kiosks if you have any close to you maybe they'll be able to show you the difference in speed, you could potentially save a lot or get much more for the same.

Just a thought

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blayr If you are in your first 30 cycle of your 90 days plan, you probably should not change to another plan right now. Because you lose the remaining talk and text plan. However you are paying $40 in 30 days cycle. You will be getting more data in 30 days cycle of $40 plan. Maybe you can change it afterward. I am expecting the plan with data will be lower as we are paying a very high cost in data plan in Canada. 

In the meantime, you may buy an add-on data for temporary use until next cycle. Have fun in outdoor activities!

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@blayr wrote:

Current plan details:

$120 per 90 Days

You could try $50 8.5GB at 3G for 30 days. Or you could build your own plan.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/50for8GB-3Gspeed

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@blayr, Public Mobile is not that cost effective for heavy data users on LTE speed plans.  My suggestion is to renew to a 3G speed plan.  The $40/5GB plan would seem about right.  The cost per 30 days is identical and data allotment a lot higher.  With data add-on being so expensive, I would suggest just biting the bullet and switching right away to the $40/5GB plan.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire
@blayr You can update immediately if you wish, however just be aware that there is no prorated plan and you will forfeit your prepaid amount, so you cannot just pay the $30 difference, but the whole plan.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I suggest once you use it up switch to the plan that better suits you, you can do immediate change. As everything is prepaid here you will not be reimbursed for unused portion, so to get the max for your money first use up what you have and then switch to something that suits you better. Keep in mind the is lot of summer left and once your plan is up or even before you can switch back to your usual usage by postdating the switch

Need Help? Let's chat.