cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance in my province

70challenger
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I have the new promo plan and live in Vancouver. I am in Tsawwassen Mills and tried to phone but it is saying it's a long distance phone call and I need to add-on. I should have province wide calling, is this a catch it a error?
13 REPLIES 13

Thanks for the response @srlawren, I didn't think about the testing option.. didn't consider it as roaming isn't something I'm interested in.

70challenger

I was connected to Public Mobile when it happened, we were a party of three and it depended where we were in the mall. I am not sure if data was working but I believe it was and used wechat to make a call successfully. I was using their free wifi but it kept shuting off.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

Your phone should not be interfering with a US tower, as PM still does not have roaming available, and therefore should not even see the US tower.

@stonechucker actually....  PM could be doing some final testing before the rumoured launch tomorrow of US roaming add-ons....  or they may have flipped on some of the functionality already as part of the work.  If the rumoured date is correct, that is.  

@70challenger I'm not sure of the best resolution.  If it is indeed your phone picking up a US tower, this may be an ongoing issue as soon as the US roaming is launched.  You may have to try a few times to get the call through.  When you had the outbound calls fail, did you happen to notice if your phone was showing as roaming?  Or if the network name said anything other than Public Mobile or Telus?  Was your data still connected?  If you had a working data connection, could use Hangouts Dialer or Fongo as a workaround, perhaps.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

70challenger
Yes, maybe not just my problem but what is the solution?

The exchange is the second set of numbers.  For example, 226-922-XXXX is the area code and exchange for a number in my city.  226-227-XXXX is another number exchange for my city.

these are not long distance calls, however I had to ask PM to fix the problem for me.

as I read your last message, it appears this isn't your particular problem, as you say it's intermittent.

70challenger
It happened again later so it is not making sense to me why. I am not sure what a different exchange means? I brought three phones numbers from Telus to PM and was calling one of the other numbers that I brought over. It's a real pain to hear this message and obviously it was being intermittent depending on what I do not know? The same number that was not working, started working, then wasn't working.

Your phone should not be interfering with a US tower, as PM still does not have roaming available, and therefore should not even see the US tower.

i had a problem calling a number in my area code, but a different exchange, still same city.  I had to get PM mod to have the tech team allow the number to work, as it was the most local call I could make.

70challenger
OK thanks

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

yeah.. Tsawwassen  has always been a "grey" area as sometimes it is trying to log into an USA server due to closeness of border...same as ferry terminal or even on the ferry......signals from usa and canada are crossing eachother once in a while....

70challenger
I did not add a one(1) but it does work now.

A10A
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Im in Ontario and I had the same problem. I saved the number wrong which was why it stated that it was long distance. Check that before contacting PM. 

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi..

i was just last week there and had no problems.... make sure that if you call using your phone book feature, that the phone did not add +1 by default...

if you checked that, then yes, this might be a glitch...

cheers

70challenger
The message is " This call is not covered by your plan and you need a long distance add-on."
Need Help? Let's chat.