cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked phone

Lindag2853
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I bought a new phone and gave my old phone to a friend and it will not accept her SIM card from another carrier as it says the phone is locked

12 REPLIES 12

Lindag2853
  1. I don’t know who the original provider was but it worked fine for me With the card from public mobile however when I gave the phone to my friend and she put in her Sim card from another provider it provided the message that the Sim card was not supported

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lindag2853 

Yes that means the phone was originally from telus or koodo and locked to the telus network previous  to the changes to the WCC that ruled after December 2017 all phones sold must be provided unlocked or if locked the customer must be given the unlocking code upon request, without delay and without charging a fee.

Telus and it's flanker brands have a no hassle policy when it comes to unlocking older model phones. Bell and especially Rogers can be difficult to deal with in this regard if you are not a customer or recently been a customer despite the WCC legislation.

All is good now I presume?

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

Hi @Lindag2853 PM does not sell lcoked phone.  But look like the phone was originally Koodo or Telis, which PM SIM will work without problem since they are the same family.   

Have you open a ticket with PM yet?  CS agent will be able to provide you the unlock code

Lindag2853

So the phone was originally given to be. I put a pm sim in it and everything was fine. However when I gave it to another friend it didn’t work saying SIM card not supported 

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@Lindag2853 wrote:

I bought a new phone....ok

and gave my old phone to a friend and it will not accept her SIM card from another carrier as it says the phone is locked....so you need to get your old phone unlocked by PM. But put your PM sim back in your old phone then contact a CSA to unlock. Wait until unlock process is done, remove your PM SIM, THEN give back to friend. Your old phone was locked to Telus, Koodo and PM. 

For the purposes of getting a Telus phone unlocked through a Public Mobile CSA, there isn't any requirement for a Public Mobile SIM to have ever been in that phone.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Lindag2853 wrote:

I bought a new phone....ok

and gave my old phone to a friend and it will not accept her SIM card from another carrier as it says the phone is locked....so you need to get your old phone unlocked by PM. But put your PM sim back in your old phone then contact a CSA to unlock. Wait until unlock process is done, remove your PM SIM, THEN give back to friend. Your old phone was locked to Telus, Koodo and PM. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Lindag2853 

If you remember who you old carrier where you got your phone.

Either you or your friend can contact them to have it unlocked but have your old account number ready.

Worst comes to worst, she can bring it into a mom & pop cell shop to have it unlocked for a fee.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

The good news is this process is usually pretty painless especially compared to years ago when it was much harder if not impossible to get an unlock code depending on the carrier. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Lindag2853 

If your old phone worked with public mobile then contact customer support to give you the unlocking code. Have your friend dial *#06# n the phone to get the IMEI# that you will need to give the CSA to get the code.

To contact customer support : Submit a support ticket via SIMon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you cannot submit a ticket via SIMon then Click here   ....for additional member supplied info.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Your new phone could be locked to previous carrier. You or even better your friend will have to contact previous carrier and ask for unlock code. Be aware that some providers require active account or at least to have an account within last year.

Samsung will unlock your new phone if it is Canadian version.

Your new phone could be blacklisted by accident. Check it here:

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If your old phone is a Samsung then they can unlock it for them. Otherwise you'll need to contact the support people to get it unlocked. What is the actual message on the old phone?

Adding - I'm interpreting that the old phone was your phone working here and that the friend is with another provider.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@Lindag2853 hi you will need to contact the carrier you bought it from to get it unlocked😀

Need Help? Let's chat.