cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lag on long distance voice calls

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Over the last year I've had to make quite a lot more calls to the US (California) than I ever have in the past, and one thing I've noticed pretty consistently is a delay in the speech going back and forth. It's not a long delay, but long enough to make conversations awkward when both parties are trying to talk.

At first I assumed it must have been in the other end, maybe a bad VOIP connection; but over time I've realized that it must be in my end because it happens all the time.

I don't ever remember this issue in my 20 years with TELUS, but to be honest I also didn't make nearly as many long distance calls back then. Is this normal? Is it a Public Mobile deficiency? Or would I likely experience something similar on TELUS a well? Is there a fix?

If it matters my phone is a Pixel 5a, but I had similar results on my previous Pixel 3a as well.

6 REPLIES 6

@DennyCrane wrote:

Thank you @DennyCrane for feedback. Yes, it will be nice to know if you have same issue with different provider.

@Yummy VOIP on the receivers end.

I have already had the same experience in two different phones with my PM sim. I'll try my Rogers phone and add if that's any different. 

@esjliv I meant a VOIP connection in the receivers end.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane wrote:

At first I assumed it must have been in the other end, maybe a bad VOIP connection; but over time I've realized that it must be in my end because it happens all the time.

Which side has voip? Do you use it or other side or both?

Can you try your SIM in other phone to see how connection behaves? Could somebody else with different provider call same US number and then compare call quality?

I doubt it is something to do with PM service as it uses Telus network and we would hear complains already.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DennyCrane you said above "maybe a bad VOIP connection" are you using a voip app, or is the recipient using one?

If so, the services on these apps could be contributing to your issue, not relating to Public Mobile.

@DennyCrane wrote:

Over the last year I've had to make quite a lot more calls to the US (California) than I ever have in the past, and one thing I've noticed pretty consistently is a delay in the speech going back and forth. It's not a long delay, but long enough to make conversations awkward when both parties are trying to talk.

I don't ever remember this issue in my 20 years with TELUS, but to be honest I also didn't make nearly as many long distance calls back then. Is this normal? Is it a Public Mobile deficiency? Or would I likely experience something similar on TELUS a well? Is there a fix?

If it matters my phone is a Pixel 5a, but I had similar results on my previous Pixel 3a as well.

Other than the fact that Public Mobile voice calls are forced to be on the HSPA network, I don't picture this as being a specific Public Mobile issue.  I very much doubt that it's your phone causing this, and this is very likely something that you have no control of.  You could ask a CSA for help, but quite honestly, they'd likely ask you do do a bunch of things that can't possibly fix this type of issue and then foward the concerns to the Telus DNA team.  I suspect that even if the issue does get fixed, you might never hear anything back from that department.

Need Help? Let's chat.