cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE 700 MHz lower freq for building penetrating

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Regarding the LTE Telus 700 MHz bands (12/13/17/29).  If my phone (oneplus 5), doesn't have band 13, but has bands 12, 17, and 29,  will it still be able to use the lower 700 MHz frequencies when needed, for example in high rise buildings where signal is very weak (provided a 700 MHz tower is nearby)?  Even without band 13?   I notice not many if at all phones do actually support band 13, strange.

5 REPLIES 5

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@sheytoon Thanks Sheytoon, that's the answer I was looking for. Yes I understand it's for data only until they shutdown the 3G in 2024-2025 I think.  Then they will be forced to enable VoLTE.  Maybe by that time we'll be at 6G or something and there can be other alternatives.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@keepasa you would still be able to use B12, which is always deployed on sites that have B13.

This won't help with voice calls though, unless VoLTE arrives.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@keepasa , the direct answer to your question is very simple.  Your phone would never be able to connect to a tower using band 13 if such a tower were to be preferentially located near you.  Having said that, it does not mean your phone will have no connection.  All cell towers operate on more than one frequency.  Personally, my phone does not have any of the 700 Mhz frequencies and I have no problems using the service.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@keepasa   for LTE, it should have B4 and B12 as a minimum requirement..

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@keepasa wrote:

Regarding the LTE Telus 700 MHz bands (12/13/17/29).  If my phone (oneplus 5), doesn't have band 13, but has bands 12, 17, and 29,  will it still be able to use the lower 700 MHz frequencies when needed, for example in high rise buildings where signal is very weak (provided a 700 MHz tower is nearby)?  Even without band 13?   I notice not many if at all phones do actually support band 13, strange.

I am not sure I can help answer that fully....so I will just provide the 'boiler plate' info.

2 and 5 bands are the important ones with Public Mobile.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

• 3G or WCDMA 2 and 5 bands  makes the phone compatible, which is needed for phone calls, and can also be used for text messaging and data.
  • LTE can be used for text messaging and data.
Need Help? Let's chat.