cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo store refused to sell Public sim

Jennalynn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has had this experience.

Went to a koodo store, same place I activated 4 lines to Public over the past 3 years, an the "manager" told me that they dont sell the Public sim cards nor do they activate for Public.

When I told him I had done 4 phones at his store, he changed to 'they dont do it anymore, and, they dont have the cards for Public'.

Im thinking he was lying, he then told me to go to Walmart.  I called Walmart amd the girl said yes they will do it, then asked me if the Koodo store was on Lundys lane in Niagara Falls, I said yes and she said thats where Walmart gets their sims.  And this guy does this all the time.

Can Koodo just refuse to set up Public or sell the cards? Is there any course of action to take when they pull this stunt?

Thankyou everyone!

14 REPLIES 14

@darlicious wrote:

Koodo stores do stock and sell pm sim cards. Just take a look at the store locator and see how many koodo retailers are listed.

But I do not recommend you buy from a koodo retailer as they have been unscrupulous in the past.

The store locator isn't the most accurate tool, it seems to exaggerate a bit, it seems to always be offering slightly outdated listings. And I suspect it automatically includes Telus/Koodo stores by default, whether they're relevant to PM or not.

I've had good and bad experiences at a Koodo outlet. And at a Telus store. And at a Walmart, a Loblaws, a little local cellphone shop. I've only had good experiences at my local London Drugs, though to be fair I have heard others complain about it. I think it depends on the individual retailer - the sales rep at the counter, the sales manager behind the counter - some are less scrupulous than others and all earn "incentives" for selling things other than Public Mobile. If you look at the job advertisements for these places you'll see that they generally aren't very particular about who they hire - sometimes they get a superstar, sometimes they get a lazy smiling liar.

I think it has to do with the sales person too.

The SIM only profit goes to the store only

The activate commission goes to the sales person as well.

So, it is an easy math for the sales person in the store  🙂

@AE_Collector 

There is still profit in selling a sim card as evidenced by the low prices CCS sells theirs at....there used to be bulk sales of pm sim cards priced at $1 each on eBay. I'm sure koodo gets similar pricing from their parent company. Some koodo retailers have just shown themselves to be greedy rather than customer service oriented.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

May be Koodo employees are not getting their time worth of the commission in selling and activating PM SiMs.

They are just taking advantage of no phone line to call support of PM. 

The only thing that may be able to prevent this is if Telus sets rules they must follow.

I cant blame retailers really as selling a card for virtually no profit and then imagine how many people try to return them when they get into trouble activating themselves online. We see lots and LOTS of activation problems here so just think how many problems don’t show up here but arrive back at the place that sold them the SIM card. 

AE_Collector

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

ok i see it but some store not sell the public mobile SIM card,

@Anonymous 

Koodo stores do stock and sell pm sim cards. Just take a look at the store locator and see how many koodo retailers are listed.

But I do not recommend you buy from a koodo retailer as they have been unscrupulous in the past.

@Jennalynn 

Just use the store locator to find another retailer near you. If anyone tries to sell you a pm sim card over and above the msrp of $10+tax turn and walk away.

those Koodo retailers are in fact just franchise, all they care is their commission.   😞

Check of store locator and call first and ask.  

if you have Amazon Prime and ok to receive it next week, you can order here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Public-prepaid-postpaid-Activate-Allinone/dp/B06X9ZGDWG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1K12HH...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Jennalynn 

Search the following store locator to see if that location comes up.

If it does, select "list view" and leave the appropriate review based on your experience.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/store-locator

Even though koodo and public mobile all operate under the TELUS umbrella, they are separate entities for business purposes and their staff will do what benefits their pocketbook and the entity they represent.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wherever you go. Just tell the employee you lost your phone and JUST need a new sim to add it to your account when you get home. They usually don't fuss alot, even at Walmart's since they think you already have an account and know they can't convince you to sign up with another provider. When you get home with the new card just sign-up and activate a new account. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jennalynn 

Koodo and Telus store not sell public mobile SIM card,

Where To Buy A SIM card,

You can purchase a Public Mobile SIM card at a variety of retail locations. Click Here link 

to open our store locator and find the closest retailer to you.

or 

Too easy buy it online or in store visit Here link, 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Retailers are suppose to sell you the sim. Dealers get a commission when they activate a sim card for a customer. It is hard for Public mobile to control retailers.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Well, Koodo and PM and Telus are 3 'different' companies even though they all belong to Telus.

So, most likely Yes, Koodo can refuse to sell you PM's SIM since PM is competitor. And it all depends on person on the other side of counter. Some are human some are less than.

I would suggest to you go to different store and forget about these guys.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They may sometimes when without activation, because of the lack of commission since they make money on new activations, not as much on device and sim sales.

Need Help? Let's chat.