Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo NOT Public Mobile showed up as transaction source on my Visa statement

PDobrovolny
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why?

23 REPLIES 23

@softech 

I have done 14 activations myself both porting in a phone number and choosing a new number and I have always had public mobile show up as the merchant. They have all been done with a MasterCard. Maybe the type of credit card can trigger koodo to show up as the merchant instead of pm?

Edit:

Edmonton seems to be a consistent factor in this.....mine have always shown BC but regardless of where the activation is done it bounces over to Edmonton for Koodo transactions.

@softech wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

Public mobile is aware of the issue.  It is a system glitch and "an ongoing investigation taking place with our system vendor to determine the fix." 

Last response from PM was about 2 weeks ago for this specific issue.  I will include this thread in the update and hopefully, speeds things up for a system fix.  

@Dunkman  so, it was not intended?  they are not passing some transaction to Koodo payment system?  Honest, it has been a long while like this, I am surprise to find out it was just a system glitch

@softech 

Not intended according to PM management.  PM and Koodo (prepaid) likely share same payment vendor and other backend processes.  You are correct that it has been happening for a while. One of the oracles even got a welcome to Koodo text message with helping with a new activation of a PM SIM card for a new customer.  😣

@softech wrote:

You can decline a transaction?

@softech  - if this is showing as a PENDING charge you can contact the credit card company when it is still in this 'pending state' and they can stop if from authorizing. At least, that is what I did before with my card company.

@softech wrote:

@Dunkman  so, it was not intended?  they are not passing some transaction to Koodo payment system?  Honest, it has been a long while like this, I am surprise to find out it was just a system glitch

@softech yes - it has been happening for a while, consistently, I don't know that.

esjliv_0-1641150291010.png

This showed up on my credit card statements for two activations:

1 - April 2020 activation ported from Bell landline.

2 - December 2020 activation ported from Koodo cell.

I wonder if this shows up on New Number activations as well and not just porting activations?

@PDobrovolny wrote:

This led to me canceling that transaction and now you've deactivated my phone!

Help!

You can decline a transaction? I thought it will just go through and you will have to do a lot to reverse the charge after and will take long

So, was the charge a regular monthly renewal charge?  or a charge for new activation?  

If it is just regular renewal charge, just go back to Self-Serve My Account and make a manual one-time payment

@Dunkman wrote:

Public mobile is aware of the issue.  It is a system glitch and "an ongoing investigation taking place with our system vendor to determine the fix." 

Last response from PM was about 2 weeks ago for this specific issue.  I will include this thread in the update and hopefully, speeds things up for a system fix.  

@HALIMACS wrote:

@esjliv wrote:

@PDobrovolny  so are you able to reverse the cancelling of the transaction with the credit card? I am not sure if this is possible or not, just thought I would ask.

@esjliv I suspect since the OP's service has been deactivated, that PM is treating this as a chargeback where they would normally require the OP to cover the declined charge before reinstating service.  Their system may even give the OP troubles when trying to register a payment card again.

@HALIMACS  -  yes, exactly what i think as well.

if the OP's credit card has a hold on Public Mobile transactions (or, named Koodo...), calling the credit card company back and asking them to release any hold should allow next attempts to make charges on their credit card when topping up or future charges to their account.

And of course, getting Public Mobile representatives to unlock any future holds on this particular credit card must be cleared up.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

starting to think this issue is why koho removed public mobile as a bonus rewards partner.

@PDobrovolny 

I am sorry this has happened. To remedy the issue you will need to purchase a voucher to cover the amount of the chargeback so that customer support will reactivate your service. This is required since pm is a prepaid provider so they deactivate your service until you back pay for the services recieved.

@J_PM 

Really this is unacceptable....make an announcement so that new customers especially are made aware of this glitch or put a disclaimer on the activation portal's payment page warning customers that their payment may appear as KOODO or PUBLIC MOBILE.

@esjliv wrote:

@PDobrovolny  so are you able to reverse the cancelling of the transaction with the credit card? I am not sure if this is possible or not, just thought I would ask.

@esjliv I suspect since the OP's service has been deactivated, that PM is treating this as a chargeback where they would normally require the OP to cover the declined charge before reinstating service.  Their system may even give the OP troubles when trying to register a payment card again.

This (of course) is NOT what they should be doing since the chargeback was not due to a customer trying to attain 'free' service, but rather a customer being diligent about questionable charges on their credit card.

They should goodwill the charge to get the OP's service going immediately and apologize.

@PDobrovolny  and all.

This is a HUGE problem that Public Mobile MUST remedy.  I'm glad @Dunkman assures that the "powers that be" are working toward a resolution.

I was involved with assisting with an activation on Dec 31, and the credit card transaction displayed this:

HALIMACS_0-1641147030897.png

This is utter foolishness on Public Mobile's part and ANY affect this has on customer's services should not only be remedied on a priority basis, but should also be recovered with perhaps 1 month free or bonus GB data.

Customers (especially new activations) should not have to wonder about this.   

Horrible first impression.

@PDobrovolny wrote:

Help!

If you can log into the Self Serve account, you should be able to make a payment, yourself to reactivate services. If it turns out you paid over what you need, those extra funds would just be used on future renewals of you plan anyhow...so you could leave the funds there.

Or, contact CSAs if you are more comfortable doing that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@esjliv : Ah. Timing. Gotcha. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

Edit:  @esjliv : unrelated...

@Anonymous  - yes, I see that now, after reading OP cancelled the transaction.

@PDobrovolny wrote:

Help!

@PDobrovolny@ ohhh, well can you log into your Self Serve account and make a payment...if not you may need CSA

To contact the Public Mobile Customer Support Agent (CSA)_Team, there are two methods to reach them:

1 -  Faster - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right-hand side of your screen,

or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Customer Support Agents (CSA)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PDobrovolny : You're now the second one impacted by this that I know of.

Most of us here are fellow customers like you. You will need to contact the CSA's to rectify the situation.

Edit:  @esjliv : unrelated...

@J_PM : This practice must stop.

@PDobrovolny wrote:

Then, please reactivate my phone!

Thanks.

@PDobrovolny 

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*Is your phone locked? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you. You will need your imei number, dial *#06# to get it.

Did you port over a number?

PDobrovolny

Then, please reactivate my phone!

Thanks.

PDobrovolny

Help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PDobrovolny : Indeed...why? Yes they're under the same parent company but we did see not long ago someone rightfully doing a chargeback on that charge and inadvertently stopped their service. It simply should not be happening.

@J_PM 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PDobrovolny wrote:

Why?

@PDobrovolny  - Telus owns both Koodo and Public Mobile. It seems the activation of a SIM card charge shows Koodo. Nothing to worry about.

But it should show Public Mobile going forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PDobrovolny 

is some issue with system network sometime is the first transaction is will showing Koodo but for next is will be show you public mobile
don't worry about it.

Need Help? Let's chat.