cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just transferred today but no data avail

frankenfurter
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just switched over from wind/freedom a few hours ago but I don't get any data service.  Voice and text work fine.  I've tried 2 different phones and neither can get data but everything else works fine.   Phones say registered on Public Mobile but apn setting say Koodoo or telus with Koodo the default.

Is it possible to get a refund?

Any help will be  appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@frankenfurter I'm very glad I could help.  Basically every manufacturer builds a table of default APN values into their firmware, and many manufacturers include a Public Mobile APN (sp.mb.com) but a few, including Asus, don't seem to include it, unfortunately. 

Just be glad you don't have an LG phone.  Many of them require a factory reset to get data working after changing providers!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

frankenfurter

That was the solution.  I had to add Public Mobile apn to make it work.  

I would never have gotten this phone to work on Public if you guys hadn't helped me out.

Public should build a truth table  e.g.   if Asus then apn  etc.....

Much Appreciated.  

srlawren

@frankenfurter neither the Koodo nor Telus APN will work.  Asus phones seem to need manual APN configuration.  

Try here:  https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-max-zc550kl-2016 or https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-max-zc550kl or https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/asus-zenfone-max-plus-m1 depending on the Zenfone Max you have.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

frankenfurter

Hi All!

Grateful for the replys. 

My phone is an Asus ZenMax.  Bought from BestBuy before Xmas.  Old Freedom sim went in  from my old phone and without any mods worked great.  It is unlocked. 

I got the sim card and activation through London Drugs.  The phone activated immediately in the store with "Public Mobile" listed on the front screen. I made a call and everything worked.

I've tried the lost/stolen deactivation as recommended somewhere else but that did nothing.  When I checked the APN settings (never knew there was such a thing as in 20 years of owning many different cells phones and different services including Telus I've never had to touch a thing!)  the first screen shows 2 selections a) Koodo sp.koodo.com and b) Telus SP sp.telus.com.  The default is Koodo.

If you select the Koodo default the next screen shows Name: Koodo   APN: sp.koodo.com

the next non blank field is MMSC:  http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc  MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18  MMS Port: 80  MCC:302 MNC: 220

As you can see there is no reference to Public Mobile. 

These setting happened through the automatic activation of my phone and sim card.  If it's wrong than it's wrong from Public.

You guys are the experts here I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

mimmo

@Russell  if voice and sms work it means the phone is unlocked.  Locked phones ask for a network unlock pin when the incorrect sim is installed in the phone.

Lack of data on new activations  90% of the time is a result of  wrong APN settings.

@Russell wrote:

Its  possible your phone is not unlocked.  If it is unlocked i was able to change my apn settings to the following amd it worked.

Name: CA - Public Mobile MMS

APN: sp.mb.com

Authentication type: PAP

APN Type: mms

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@frankenfurter wrote:

Just switched over from wind/freedom a few hours ago but I don't get any data service.  Voice and text work fine.  I've tried 2 different phones and neither can get data but everything else works fine.   Phones say registered on Public Mobile but apn setting say Koodoo or telus with Koodo the default.

Is it possible to get a refund?

Any help will be  appreciated.

@frankenfurter you've come to the right place.  This is where the magic happens.  You've got questions, this is the best place to be.  You can also search for your specific issue and someone may have experienced and solved it. Good luck.  

mimmo

hi @frankenfurter  try setting up your APN.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

also was your phone bought from freedom?  if so what phone is it?  some freedom phones need some minor additional setup

Russell

Its  possible your phone is not unlocked.  If it is unlocked i was able to change my apn settings to the following amd it worked.

Name: CA - Public Mobile MMS

APN: sp.mb.com

Authentication type: PAP

APN Type: mms

Need Help? Let's chat.