cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just ported 2 phones - Different experience on each

sunkmail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I switched over my phone from Bell Thursday afternoon...

I'll start with what happened, as an FYI to other newbies.  I do have one question at the end.

Went with a new number, confirmed everything worked, then ported my Bell number.  The new number was ported and fully working within 5 mins.

Although, when I first attempted sign-up it has a 'Generic Error'.  I checked my CC (thanks forums) and it says it had made a payment, so I went to the suggested page to work through that.  Everything went smoothly after that.  (This was with the new, temporary number, not the porting attempt.)

Later that same evening I did the same for my wife's phone.

She didn't get the generic error message and the temporary number worked right away.

Her account says the porting was successful, but she couldn't receive calls.  Text and Data seem to work in both directions.

After about an hour, a text came in saying the port was complete and everything seems good now.

Now my question:

On My account, it shows that I paid $40 and have $0 balance.

My Wife's account says she paid $40, but has a $2 balance.

Any idea why it isn't the same?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the auto-pay??

I can't recall fully, but I think the 'generic error' and associated mess didn't activate the Auto-pay with the account but I did check/set-up the Aut-Pay right after.  Therefore, maybe I didn't get the discount with my first billing, whereas my wife's account didn't have the problem.

Is this something I should ask a moderator about?  Is this normal?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

sunkmail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

To Clarify,

Both Mine and my wife's accounts are working fine. 

I know that her issue was related to a delay in porting.  It was more a comparison of how quickly a port could take (mine), or how there could be a delay (my wife's).

As mentioned in my first post, I was including all the info in case some other newbie was trying to figure out if what they experienced was normal.

I also believe the text message that we received was when the port was complete, as it happened almost immediately for me and my wife didn''t receive the same text until much later, when everything finally started working.   (This is not the message that pops up on the PM website when doing the number change.)

Perhaps the text message is a newer feature?

@sunkmail wrote:

I switched over my phone from Bell Thursday afternoon...

I'll start with what happened, as an FYI to other newbies.  I do have one question at the end.

Went with a new number, confirmed everything worked, then ported my Bell number.  The new number was ported and fully working within 5 mins.

Although, when I first attempted sign-up it has a 'Generic Error'.  I checked my CC (thanks forums) and it says it had made a payment, so I went to the suggested page to work through that.  Everything went smoothly after that.  (This was with the new, temporary number, not the porting attempt.)

Later that same evening I did the same for my wife's phone.

She didn't get the generic error message and the temporary number worked right away.

Her account says the porting was successful, but she couldn't receive calls.  Text and Data seem to work in both directions.

After about an hour, a text came in saying the port was complete and everything seems good now.

Now my question:

On My account, it shows that I paid $40 and have $0 balance.

My Wife's account says she paid $40, but has a $2 balance.

Any idea why it isn't the same?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the auto-pay??

I can't recall fully, but I think the 'generic error' and associated mess didn't activate the Auto-pay with the account but I did check/set-up the Aut-Pay right after.  Therefore, maybe I didn't get the discount with my first billing, whereas my wife's account didn't have the problem.

Is this something I should ask a moderator about?  Is this normal?

Thanks

For your wife's account, everything happened just as it should have, including not being able to receive incoming calls on that phone for a short time.  To clarify, when you request a number port in self serve, that successful message does not mean that you number has been ported.  It only means that the number has been assigned to your account.  At that point, the phone number transfer has not been approved yet by the other carrier.

You're likley correct about that error message having something to do with Autopay messing up.  You can contact the moderators by clicking on this link:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.