cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this experience an agent/retailer scam?

dannicoara
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Everyone, 

Been a PM customer for a while, good experience and my son decided to switch over as well. I've decided to go the the same agent that set me up last time. I don't recall paying more than $10 for the SIM card (and account setup) at that time. Everything went smooth, so I expected same treatment... 

Well, please let me know if the experience I've had, at the store location, is expected for a PM agent:

- went in to port the new number, been asked for information to setup the new account (he said he won't just provide me with the SIM for $10, he is to set up the account as well "that's how he makes money")

- he finished the setup without entering the referring code/.number. I asked why he did not set it up as I am interested in the rewards/discounts. He said he could not do anything at that point and asked me to reach to PM moderator

- asked for $20 charge for setting up the account. I asked why to pay more than the $10 SIM, and he replied not to worry as I will receive the $10 setup fee (!!) back as a credit shortly. So I paid. 

- reaching out to the PM moderator later on, I've been told the referral fee ($10 has been already applied to the account (?!) - I have checked self-serve and indeed it shows up in self-serve) and there's already a phone number (that I don't know) assigend as the number that referred me... 

- Should the retailers provide you the SIM for $10?

- Could they refuse to provide you with the SIM card only? The option on the website was to purchase the SIM from amazon, directly or store location and do activation on line - nothing mentioned about setting up the account while in store)

- Should they charge $10 or $20 for the account setup?

- Is it legal for the store agents to use their own numbers as referral account?

Thanks for the feedback/guidance - better to know for the future. 

I hope my case gets addressed quickly so I can receive the referral reward.

Keep well Everyone

Dan

20 REPLIES 20

GGPlayer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is definitely a scam. Why need an agent/retailer to do this for you?

Just buy online from Amazon and activate it online by yourself.

@Alan_K, I still think charging $10 for the SIM is robbery.  Yes others do it, but if someone wants to get service, they can’t get service without the SIM. 

SIMs should be free.  A cost the provider should cover as part of doing business.

Don’t get me started on the higher tier in store activation fees...  

dannicoara

Thanks @Alan_K  - will do as instructed. Thanks for your support on this matter.

Dan

@dannicoara wrote:

I have checked self-serve and indeed it shows up in self-serve) and there's already a phone number (that I don't know) assigend as the number that referred me... 

- Could they refuse to provide you with the SIM card only? The option on the website was to purchase the SIM from amazon, directly or store location and do activation on line - nothing mentioned about setting up the account while in store)

- Is it legal for the store agents to use their own numbers as referral account?

I do not know if retail employees are allowed to use their own codes.  However, I will say that if someone's referral code was used to activate your account, you should have known about it.

In additon, your son's self-serve account does not give you indication of who referred him.  Any strange phone number in your referral list means that you have referred someone.

@Alan_K wrote:

@dannicoara wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Been a PM customer for a while, good experience and my son decided to switch over as well. I've decided to go the the same agent that set me up last time. I don't recall paying more than $10 for the SIM card (and account setup) at that time. Everything went smooth, so I expected same treatment... 

Well, please let me know if the experience I've had, at the store location, is expected for a PM agent:

- went in to port the new number, been asked for information to setup the new account (he said he won't just provide me with the SIM for $10, he is to set up the account as well "that's how he makes money")

- he finished the setup without entering the referring code/.number. I asked why he did not set it up as I am interested in the rewards/discounts. He said he could not do anything at that point and asked me to reach to PM moderator

- asked for $20 charge for setting up the account. I asked why to pay more than the $10 SIM, and he replied not to worry as I will receive the $10 setup fee (!!) back as a credit shortly. So I paid. 

- reaching out to the PM moderator later on, I've been told the referral fee ($10 has been already applied to the account (?!) - I have checked self-serve and indeed it shows up in self-serve) and there's already a phone number (that I don't know) assigend as the number that referred me... 

Keep well Everyone

Dan

Thank you for sharing your experience @dannicoara . The Community members here are right in the sense that these are not coherent with the guidelines that we give our retail partners. Other than our own Public Mobile kiosks (100% managed by us), the behaviour of other retailers is harder to influence but I will definitely share this feedback. 

In a PM, can you please share with me the retail location and I will escalate this behaviour with the right team members? I will also ensure the right referral code is added for your son's account (please share his account number and the referral code you need to be added) + the phone number you'd like to remove as a referral.

Other than that, in the meantime, the best thing to do is to leave a review on our store locator to alert other potential customers of this behaviour.

Thank you @Alan_K  for your immediate response to @dannicoara  appalling customer service experience. I'm happy to see you find this as distressing as I do.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

That is a scam

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dannicoara wrote:

Hi Everyone, 

Keep well Everyone

Dan

Thank you for sharing your experience @dannicoara . The Community members here are right in the sense that these are not coherent with the guidelines that we give our retail partners. Other than our own Public Mobile kiosks (100% managed by us), the behaviour of other retailers is harder to influence but I will definitely share this feedback. 

In a PM, can you please share with me the retail location and I will escalate this behaviour with the right team members? I will also ensure the right referral code is added for your son's account (please share his account number and the referral code you need to be added) + the phone number you'd like to remove as a referral.

Other than that, in the meantime, the best thing to do is to leave a review on our store locator to alert other potential customers of this behaviour.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Shocking!! This reminds me of why you are asked to sign the back of your lottery ticket. So as to prevent fraud on behalf of the retailer. This salesperson has figured out a nice little money earner for himself. I have never heard of any retailer charging to activate a mobile account. Every mobile account agent or reseller has worked out a licensee agreement with the telecom provider and is compensated as per their contract.  Any telecom provider should be outraged as this kind of conduct by a paid representative of their retail licensee. As should the retailer and I'm sure this is  grounds for dismissal. 

As far as the entering of the referral code...i have heard of retailers that supply a referral code for those who do not have one...as a courtesy. It may or may not be a standard code supplied by pm but likely does not benefit the retailer. The fact that the salesperson knowingly lied about how and when to enter it and I believe used his own or an accomplices referral code for their own benefit will hopefully be their downfall. Surely this highly suspicious activity can be traced by pm by the "incorrect" referral code and the account it belongs to reviewed as it violates the terms of service we are all bound. Morally it's just wrong and I certainly hope that @dannicoara  and @Alan_K  follow up with the retailer in question.

We have certainly come to expect subpar customer service from the low cost brand pm has marketed itself as and there are many more stories of having poorly informed and under-trained sales personnel bumbling through an activation then positive quick and painless transactions like @clexxi  shared with the community the other day. But everybody at the very least expect when they visit a retailer for an in store activation to not be lied to, fleeced for their money and scammed out of the referral reward by a salesperson using their paid employment as a their own personal meal ticket. Nor should we put up with it. Well done @dannicoara  for coming forward and sharing your experience.  Scammers get away with these kind of schemes because people are often embarrassed once they realize what has happened and keep it to themselves and the perpetrators 

continue with impunity. 

Please don't let this taint your impression overall of pm and the community  and we all welcome your son to the self serve world of savings that public mobile has to offer. 

P.S. Oracles can we start a petition stating as community members that we do not agree with the tactics of this salesperson and expect public mobile to take action to defend its brand and image.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo wrote:

@Anonymous  there are no charges to activate instore with PM, Koodo, virgin telus and bell do however charge 35$ for activating or hardware upgrades.

@dannicoara there is a spot to leave retailer reviews in the list of retailers.

I understand that PM doesn't charge the customer themselves via the store. It's the store that can charge for the service.

You need a period somewhere in that sentence 🙂 .

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous  there are no charges to activate instore with PM, Koodo, virgin telus and bell do however charge 35$ for activating or hardware upgrades.

@dannicoara there is a spot to leave retailer reviews in the list of retailers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dannicoara wrote:

Thanks Everyone for the feedback and support.

This is a lesson learnt as a novice PM customer... I will submit the PM retailer information to the PM moderator so they could address further. I will definitely use a differebnt location or just order the SIM online. I did not expect the PM retailers to play such games...

The last time I bought and activated a phone in a store was 2013. They charged me 30 bucks for the privilege. I had gone to another store to verify. It just seemed to be the standard. I guess maybe stores still do charge for the service.

The problem with the online purchase is when there's a promo. And here they happen out of the blue and last maybe a couple days. Once in my time here they had a promo where it was that you ordered online and had time to receive it and activate it within a timeframe. They were linked by a unique email address you provide.

Anyway...welcome to PM.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K  this might be with investigating. 

dannicoara

Thanks Everyone for the feedback and support.

This is a lesson learnt as a novice PM customer... I will submit the PM retailer information to the PM moderator so they could address further. I will definitely use a differebnt location or just order the SIM online. I did not expect the PM retailers to play such games...

dannicoara

Hi @GinYVR  - this is a PM retailer. Got it from the PM website.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dannicoara this is absolutely sketchy, and for future any time you go through a different experience from your own, recommend just advise to stop the transaction and go somewhere else, or ask to speak to a manager.  

Paying for a $10 SIM card is standard, and some retailers don't like to just give you the SIM without setting up the service (i.e. Walmart is notorious for not selling SIM Cards without setting up the service).  I believe they get some kind of sale tally by setting it up, don't believe there's any commission involved though.

Not entering the referral code is ludicrous as well.  That's how YOU get your monthly $1 referral credit.  I believe the screen they use to set up the account is the exact same screen we see when we set it up at home.  So next time ask to see the screen and make sure the referral code is entered.  Not sure why some of these retailers like to make life so difficult.  Always make sure to ask to see each screen before they move on to the next one.

Retail reps are not supposed to be using their referral code/number, they're supposed to use your designated referral code. 

$20 charge for setting up the account is complete fraud in my opinion.  Just go back to their first point, the rep said they have to set up the account in store "that's how they make money" and then at the end they tell you to pay $20 for setting up the account?  Sounds like double dipping to me.  That should have raised red flags right there.  Just tell them no, and walk out, or ask to speak to a manager.  If you didn't pay that $20 before, why would that change now? 

There shouldn't be any charge for account set up, and if they refuse to set up then leave and go somewhere else.  If I were you I'd go back to that store to speak to a manager.  Did you get a receipt showing you paid $20 for an account set up?  If you handed cash and there's no record of that $20 then you'll need to ask the manager to go through the security footage if there is one.

At the end of the day I suggest you report this rep so that others don't go through this experience.  Suggest you talk to their manager, and also get the name of the retail location, address, name of the rep who "helped" you, and name of the store manager.  Once you have that send the information to a PM Moderator.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@dannicoara 

If you have any comments regarding this particular store,
You can look for the store here and write your review.

Both choices should be offered at particpating stores:

1. Store sells you SIM card for $10. You bring it home and activate it yourself.

2. Store does it all for you.
- They normally charge you $10 for the SIM card. From time-to-time, some stores like London Drugs and Walmart will offer free SIM promotion with in-store activation.
- You pay for the first 30 days of your plan (+taxes).
- If you have your referral code, the salesperson should use it.
Within 72 hours of activation, your son will get one-time $10 activation credit.
As the referrer, you will get $1 credit every 30 days as long as your son's plan remains active.
- And if you ask, they will port over your old number for you.

If the salesperson used an incorrect referral code, your son ask can ask Moderator_team to make the adjustment, so you will earn the $1 every 30 days.

To submit a ticket to Moderators, click on the green Question Mark (at bottom right).

Type "submit a ticket" or "contact us" to get started.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@dannicoaraIs the store an authorized Public Mobile retailer? Or just any phone store?

If it is not a chain, he can sell anything at any price he want and you as a customer has to decide. Just like Store A might sell a can of beans for 0.99 but another might sell it for 1.59 for the same thing.

Public Mobile doesn't charge for setup fee, but it doesn't mean a store can't charge for one for their time.

I don't think it is illegal for clerks to use their own number, but it doesn't pass the smell test. It reflects badly on the store.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I got 2 new lines setup at the end of Aug...I went to a store near me as per PM website and just purchsed the SIM card. They didn't ask me about activation. Next time, just go to another store of go the Amazon route.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I had that issue with Walmart. In past I got my mom the $10 sim card to activate at home. When I came back to PM same store the person at Mobile section of Walmart told me they don't sell sim card alone and that it must be activated in store. At the time I didn't have my Lucky Mobile account number and had to go to a PM kiosk where it was a smoother process.

Some will give you some card to activate at home and others won't. Not sure why even if it's same store.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I have seen posts that some retailers will not sell just the sim as they want new accounts to be activated in store.  They probably can charge extra fees associated with setting up the new account.

Need Help? Let's chat.