cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any advantage to unlocking a Telus iPhone 5 for PM use?

WRXFiles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

That's it really.  Hooking up my wife's phone for the $120 deal as as well (Did my unlocked Nexus 5 a few days ago).  I have read enough to understand that Telus locked phones will work on Public Mobile, and the IMEI number checks out. 

Originally I thought I would have to do an unlock, but now, realizing it will work without the unlock step, just wondered if there is any advantage on Public Mobile to go ahead and unlock it anyway?

6 REPLIES 6

suno
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
No advantage if you will primarily use Public Mobile.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I hope that's not true @hummuschips

hummuschips
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If you plan on travelling in the future and using the iPhone with a local SIM you should get it unlocked from Telus before you port your account.  I believe they will only unlock phones if you currently have an account with them in good standing.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you plan on unlocking in the future then might as well do it with the carrier. Hassle free, safe and no need to wait unlike online unlocking methods. But yeah, no real advantage other than easier reselling if its unlocked.

Lag333
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Agree with above. No advantage. I've tried the PM SIM card in 2 locked to Telus iPhone 6's and I didn't even have to change apn settings. Everything worked automatically !

meekju1339
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

No advantage, both will work the same

Need Help? Let's chat.