cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an override to change my number early?

GeekWithTea
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there! So I recently moved and changed my number last week (around the 20th-22nd). I didn't realize it, but the person who had the number before was a bit of an irresponsible character who just happens to share my semi-rare first name. I get a lot of spam calls & had to negotiate with a taxi company that I didn't owe them a $10 credit from skipping the bill...

I can't technically work until the beginning of September but I don't want my resumes to get trashed (idk how much of a reputation she had but I want to be careful because I have no reputation at this point).

Is there any way to over-ride the 30 days ban from changing my number?

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@GeekWithTea wrote:

I get a lot of spam calls & had to negotiate with a taxi company that I didn't owe them a $10 credit from skipping the bill...

If you know an incoming call is spam, or a telemarketer - forward them to Lenny! 😁 👍

@computergeek541 wrote:

You have to wait the 30 days. As for the taxi company and others contacting you, that confuses me because Public Mobile doesn't provide that information. How did they get your phone number?  

I may be misunderstanding this but assume that someone had this phone number and amongst other things they stiffed a taxi company for a fare after having given the company the cell number to arrange the pick up. Then they dumped the number and the OP now has the number and is still being called by the Taxi company trying to collect the fare.

As far as the 30 day rule with phone number changes, I have no experience but if the number needs to be locked up for a year or two because of a previous user I would think the moderators would want to know about that and change the number for the OP. But that’s just my impression of how things are done here with regards to problems for brand new customers. Am I off base with this? It isn’t that the OP doesn’t really like the digit 4 in the number or something equally silly.

AE_Collector

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@GeekWithTea 

You can get a beautiful number with fongo or TextNow

Fongo is great option for this since they offer free forwarding to Canadian numbers

I have a fongo number for almost a decade, I needed a local number in Montreal and though I've been in Montreal only twice I still keep the number, it's beautiful and very reliable. They also forward you voicemail, Hotmail tends to not receive all (not only from fongo but in general), you can still get it through voicemail system if you specify 'copy' as opposed top'forward' in voicemail options. Or just use Gmail, I never missed it there. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@GeekWithTea , there's no way around the one number change per 30 day interval.  However, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, you could activate an account with a competing brand and port the number into your current Public Mobile account.  There's no limitations of how often you port into an account.  

@GeekWithTea wrote:

Hi there! So I recently moved and changed my number last week (around the 20th-22nd). I didn't realize it, but the person who had the number before was a bit of an irresponsible character who just happens to share my semi-rare first name. I get a lot of spam calls & had to negotiate with a taxi company that I didn't owe them a $10 credit from skipping the bill...

I can't technically work until the beginning of September but I don't want my resumes to get trashed (idk how much of a reputation she had but I want to be careful because I have no reputation at this point).

Is there any way to over-ride the 30 days ban from changing my number?

You have to wait the 30 days. As for the taxi company and others contacting you, that confuses me because Public Mobile doesn't provide that information. How did they get your phone number?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@GeekWithTea as far as I know no. Only one change is allowed per 30 day period. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.