cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is checking the voicemail considered long distance if outside of home province?

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

With the unlimited provincial talk plan will long distance charges apply if I am out of my province and I check my voicemail?

10 REPLIES 10

kkum
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

On a similar note, whenever I call my voicemail (613-581-4001 since I'm in Ottawa) it shows up as "Subway" on my phone.

I'm on a Galaxy S7 Edge and I'm guessing that number is somehow registered to Subway in Samsung's database? I know this isn't really PM's fault but just curious if anyone else has this "issue".

It's kinda funny cause my workplace (Carleton U) shows up as Tim Hortons. Smiley LOL

dohadotahmed
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
I think the last 4 digits of voicemail number is 4002.
Go to your android settings. Then tap on call....tap on voicemail....tap on setup

Now you can see the voicemail number.

Jiangjun1949
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
How to know my voice mail number. My area code is 403.Hiw to know the three digits between 403 and 4001. Thanks

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Jiangjun1949that number with the 4001 is everybody's voice mail number. Only the first 6 digits are different.

Jiangjun1949
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
@ eth_786.
Thank you for participating PM community chat. But I would like to nicely advise you not to leave your personal phone number to public for your privacy.

@ech_786 wrote:

And I have found the solution to check the voice mail if you are out of your home province.

Since data is Canada wide, I have installed calling aps such as Fongo and Hangouts...

From there you just call your voice mail #, like in my case if there is voice mail notification on your cell phone, I open Fongo and dial 613-581-4001, then you will enter your PIN and listen to your messages.   You will be saving your minutes this way and get hear your voice messages 😉

There is always things to work around.  Sharing with caring .. lol

There are all sorts of workarounds, thanks for identifying some options.  Personally, I use google voice because my Canadian number is registered in my google account.  Unfortunately, many customers are not fully adept with using these alternatives.  So, they will end up using the phone call route and incurring long distance charges.  Anyway, I put in a suggestion to use a toll free number for voice mail for the benefit of everyone. 

ech_786

And I have found the solution to check the voice mail if you are out of your home province.

Since data is Canada wide, I have installed calling aps such as Fongo and Hangouts...

From there you just call your voice mail #, like in my case if there is voice mail notification on your cell phone, I open Fongo and dial 613-581-4001, then you will enter your PIN and listen to your messages.   You will be saving your minutes this way and get hear your voice messages 😉

There is always things to work around.  Sharing with caring .. lol

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I just checked my forwarding number for voice mail.  It is a 647 number and I am in the GTA.  So, it looks like long distance charges apply when leaving the home province.

dohadotahmed
In my understanding Yes because the voicemail number is associated with the area code you live which is the same province you are from. So connecting to the voicemail means you are calling to your home province from another province you are travelling now. So it's a long distance charge.

ech_786

Yes, I beleive ...because it goes with area code.  Someone else can comment here but I beleive this is the case.

Need Help? Let's chat.