cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is VoLTE the end of Public Mobile in Canada and also USA?

Master2001
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are planning to go USA after February 2022, you probably won’t be able to make or receive calls. AT&T will decommission 3G.

To make or receive VoLTE calls, Public Mobile need to enable VoLTE.
When you make calls with Public Mobile SIM, your phone fall back to 3G to make the call. If 3G is not available call don't work.

I can confirm you can’t make or receive call where 3G is not available in Canada.
Internet is working but not calls.
I recently went to Réserve faunique La Vérendrye, QC. Calls on Bell and Videotron were working with VoLTE but not Public Mobile.

39 REPLIES 39

jack4614
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would never change the plan I have. 

jack4614

That's the answer:

Addressing your concern about a reimbursement, we are sorry that service might not be available. We are working really hard to get Voice over LTE enabled for our clients, but there is still no update about it. 

I want to set up the right expectations about your request, and extra features offered might be subject to changes like this specific roaming feature. As well, service for Canadian usage is still being offered and used every day! Therefore, service is still being provided. 

If roaming might not work, and you would like to pay less, as previously mentioned, we are offering a $50 plan for 10 gb at 3g speed unlimited talk Can wide & unlimited Int tex.

We understand your refund request, and we wish it was available, however, prepaid services are non refundable, and roaming service on Alaska might not work properly until we get an update or feature that might allow our clients to connect properly. Stay tuned. 

@jack4614 wrote:

I did, dust2dust.

They offered to change my plan to a cheaper one. No reimbursement. (no comments for now)

HI@jack4614   , don't let it stop there, push them to have a senior support to review your ticket.  Ask them if VoLTE coming.  If you change plan now, if they have VoLTE for roaming next month, you won't be able to get back into this plan

@jack4614- lol Of course they did. Please don't. This has to get figured out eventually.

jack4614

I did, dust2dust.

They offered to change my plan to a cheaper one. No reimbursement. (no comments for now)

@jack4614- Remember to try asking about roaming contracts with AT&T. State that the help pages say AT&T and that Alaska is a state. You should be able to do text and data. Don't take the first flip lazy answer. Try to get it raised up to someone who would actually know. The first line support people are just that.

jack4614

Alaska is still advertised as the 49th state :). Should still belong to the US..........

Anyhow, thank you guys for all your support, even if we don't find a solution.

@jack4614- I still wonder about AT&T roaming agreements but this is from the help pages.

-----------

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage. Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

---------

AT&T and 50 states. Last time I checked, Alaska was one of those states. Certainly not talk but text and data should be fine.

Thanks @dust2dust   I missed that.

Not sure if CS agent can do anything for a one time compensation.

Just hope VoLTE will come soon.  (And not sure why there are so many issues  with Alaska.  OP sees it but cannot connect to it..)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow- Please read his replies. He's on the old $60 plan. Not add-ons.

@jack4614 wrote:

I am in Seward today and later back in Anchorage. I see AT&T. If I try to connect manually, the phone tells me the network is currently unavailable. A friend of mine with a different carrier uses AT&T with no issues.

HI @jack4614 

Pretty sure you won't have luck in Anchorage as well, some already tried without success there

Since it didn't work, you can open ticket with CS agent and as them to cancel the add-on for a refund.  They will do it without much trouble.

open a ticket with PM CS Agent at : https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot. Follow this to get to ticket open screen quicker:

start by typing : Contact CS Agent
then Click "Contact Us"
then Click "Other"
finally Click "Click here to submit a ticket"
you will then direct to another page to open ticket.

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM's CS Agent

If you have problems submitting a ticket, you can also send a private message to the CS Agent (but this can take longer):
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

jack4614

In Canada, it works fine everywhere, yes. 

@jack4614- No. VoLTE is not supported by PM. The phone works fine for you in Canada right? There's a rumour that Public might be implementing VoLTE in the Fall. But truly just a rumour. Then they would need to contract with roaming partners to allow those kinds of calls.

jack4614

My settings at the moment

Screenshot_20220822-091300.png

jack4614

Yes, It is set on LTE.

VoLTE would work, I heard, but Pixel6 is not supported by PM.

@jack4614- Well they don't have control over what roaming partners do. Maybe you could get some clarification on whether AT&T is still a roaming partner and report that back to us. Is your phone set to LTE/4G?

jack4614

The main issue is that PM doesn't care. 

"It doesn't work. Sorry."

jack4614

I am in Seward today and later back in Anchorage. I see AT&T. If I try to connect manually, the phone tells me the network is currently unavailable. A friend of mine with a different carrier uses AT&T with no issues.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@jack4614- Yes that would be frustrating paying for that plan all this time through a pandemic only to coincidentally find that the providers have mostly turned off 3G service now that you can use it.

I'm surprised you have no AT&T. I had understood that at least text and data would still work with them. But maybe the contracts were ripped up when they turned off their 3G.

Hi @jack4614   Which city you are in now?  Many reported that they don't see AT&T network there

if you see it, try manual connect as well as try Automatic.  

jack4614

AT&T is here, everywhere. But I can't connect.

HI @jack4614   If it is Alaska, there is no T-Mobile or AT&T there now.  In this case, you need to use local mobile data

jack4614

I can't. There is no T-Mobile in Alaska. AT&T would be available, but the phone doesn't let me connect. "AT&T is unavailable." Full reception.

HI@jack4614   you can still use US roaming

For voice, T-Mobile still has its 2G network which PM roaming can use .  So, you can buy US roaming, and then select T-Mobile as the network, your phone will use it's 2G for voice and it's LTE for data

of course, you can also just buy data roaming and use VoIP all like Fongo or TextNow to make voice calls.  If you are using only Data roaming, you can choose either AT&T or T-Mobile when you are there

jack4614

It is August 2022; the US turned off 3G. I have a plan with US ROAMING included and a Pixel 6 pro. No VoLTE is available. I am not able to use public mobile anymore. No solution was offered. Only sorry. Means: That's it for our relationship. Unfortunately.

@gpixel 

VoLTE is a separate bandwidth share dedicated for talk. It can be managed separately from primary data provision. There's really no reason a provider (like Public Mobile) can't support VoLTE on a VoLTE-capable network while also supported throttled LTE-based data - aside from the arbitrary business decision to not do so. They might cite technical complications, but these are really just artificial obstructions which could be implemented differently if they really decided to make it happen.

The perfect reward to help you share the spirit of the season.

At Public Mobile, we’re all about giving. So we want to give you another reason to refer a friend to us. Between December 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021, refer a friend and we’ll take $5 off your payment every 30 days for six months as long as they stay with us. See details below.

this should tell you their plan for the future. I think we get volte in April after the T-Mobile 3g shutdown. pm needs to increase the throttle limit though. I can already tell volte won't be a success without it. the lte connection with the 3mb throttle is too inconsistent... it needs to have a buffer and 3mb can't provide it.

PM has made tons of improvements in the past couple years. they've been leading the pack with newer plans and better promos. I don't really see them shutting down. 

T-Mobile and at&t both have volte on prepaid... it's going to depend on whenever Telus decides to disable the filter.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Well, I certainly hope they don't vanish, because I can actually afford to keep my line active thanks to this company.

@Korth wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

For some reason I have never liked Koodo....just because of that blue annoying mascot that used to advertise on TV!! lol. 

He doesn't look blue to me. He looks Italian.

koodomobilead

Wasn't totally blue ... but annoying. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 9.51.24 PM.png

Need Help? Let's chat.