cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International toll free number

Cherplyn0206
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I call an international toll free number does that mean that I'm already using the 500 one-time Int'l LD bonus?

17 REPLIES 17

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@pkaraa 

Oh Dubai.....that city holds a special place in my heart. Just ask @Anonymous it's A 3 time lucky kind of place for me!🤣🤣🤣

Same here. My next international trip (whenever that is) will be via Dubai. 😍

@pkaraa 

Oh Dubai.....that city holds a special place in my heart. Just ask @Anonymous it's A 3 time lucky kind of place for me!🤣🤣🤣

pkaraa

@darlicious wrote:

Edit:

* Its important to note that @pkaraa did not specify which country they were calling the Canadian toll free number from whereas we can call most toll free numbers in North America which include several international countries.

Dubai... Called Canadian toll free number from Dubai while visiting UAE for an auto show.

@Cherplyn0206

Geez and I thought no one was going to actually answer this question. But no one was willing to experiment and blow a nickel on an experimental phone call.

So its a split decision between @walker1  who noted that it does depend on the leasee/owner of the toll free number on whether they accept calls from certain calling areas, countries etc...it has been noted in the past that toll free numbers for Australian government agencies cannot be completed as dialed as they do not accept toll free calls from North America and other continents except their own.

Toll free numbers in North America can be called by public mobile customers without using any "billable" minutes including the limited minute $10 and $15 plans. However I am not 100% sure if this also includes province wide calling plans. Perhaps @Nezgar can confirm if this is true. Unless of course if the above paragraph applies.

Otherwise international toll free numbers can be called as noted by @pkaraa* if they are based in a country that is included on the list of international destinations that public mobile offers long distance calling add ons to but they do deduct from your international calling minutes add ons. As they did when I called a toll free number in the UK earlier today.

I have now used a total of 3 international calling minutes in as many days calling Ireland, the United Kingdom and China. 3 down only 2797 more to go.....total on two accounts.😁

Edit:

* Its important to note that @pkaraa did not specify which country they were calling the Canadian toll free number from whereas we can call most toll free numbers in North America which include several international countries.

pkaraa

Once I called international toll free number of Canada from outside of Canada and I have been charged with international long distance call. So answer to OP is yes you will be charged your international minutes if you call other country's international toll free number.

Collect call is a different story.  

In the case of “800 type” toll free numbers, they are only applicable to country code 1 (Canada and USA) and can only be called from within country code 1. If you try to call one from another country it will be an invalid that you CAN’T call. I am not sure what an “international” Toll free number is but if it is a number from outside of Canada and USA I doubt it will go through regardless of what calling plans or add-ons you have.

AE_Collector

@walker1 wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

Some “international” toll free numbers only work if the call is made from a particular country or region. The company paying for the toll free number determines which calls they'll pay for ( accept ) and from where.

Kinda like not wanting to accept a collect call.  

I got it. But you are the one that keeps saying it. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Cherplyn0206 

If you were able to call this number BEFORE having the bonus international add-on minutes, then NO you won't lose international minutes. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

Some international toll free numbers only work if the call is made from a particular country or region. The company paying for the toll free number determines which calls they'll pay for ( accept ) and from where.

Kinda like not wanting to accept a collect call.  

@walker1 wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk 

Why is instant pudding called instant pudding when it's not really instant?  And it's a sorry excuse for pudding in the first place.

😏 ....great answer. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

Why is instant pudding called instant pudding when it's not really instant?  And it's a sorry excuse for pudding in the first place.

@walker1 wrote:

@Cherplyn0206 

If it's a toll free number then no. But on the other hand some international toll free numbers called from Canada aren't free so you'll be using those international calling minutes that were given to you for free as a bonus 🙂

1. Then why......would it be called an international toll free number? If it does not work?

2. If you say call a toll free number that is toll free in province or country like Australia....what happens if we from Canada calls it. 

a. Does it go though as an LD call against our add on?

b. Is it rejected?

c. Would we have to find an alternate number to call against our LD add on?

3. Are some toll free numbers assigned to a region or world wide...and how do you know the difference?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cherplyn0206 

for holiday gift, you can make call for Free,

• International calling covers the following countries: Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela,

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Cherplyn0206 

Have you tried calling that international toll free number yet?  If you have, let us know how you made out, if you don't mind.  Were any add on minutes from your account used?

That way we'll know what to tell others with the same question, with certainty.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Cherplyn0206 wrote:

If I call an international toll free number does that mean that I'm already using the 500 one-time Int'l LD bonus?

@Cherplyn0206 

Technically yes, but customers have reported that toll free numbers do not deduct from Plan/addon minutes.

Test it and see. The Overview counter is very immediate. So call a toll free number, as soon as it starts ringing that is when the timing starts. Stay on for a 1 or 2 minutes then disconnect.

Do you see a reduction in the addon?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cherplyn0206 

it's not a one time call No until you use them all, 

for Example long distance in canada or from USA,, Add (+1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,
1416xxxxxxx,
or
+1416xxxxxxx,
both is will going through your call...

International call from Canada, dial: 011 Digit Mobile Number.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@Cherplyn0206 

If it's a toll free number then no. But on the other hand some international toll free numbers called from Canada aren't free so you'll be using those international calling minutes that were given to you for free as a bonus 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.