cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calling from Hawaii to Canada while on Vacation

Palakika64
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good Morning -

I have read through a lot of the information on this subject, but am still not clear as to how to do this. 

My husband and I are going to Maui, Hawaii for our 50th anniversary and although we plan on being "disconnected" from our devices, while there ... we want to get some sort of add-on, so that we can receive and also makes calls between Maui and Canada in case of any emergency (mom and dad are 92 yrs old) ... and/or if we need to use the phone for something similar, while on Maui.  We would NOT be using the phone on a regular basis.

Can this be done.  Can anyone tell me specifically (step-by-step lol), in this situation, how to put an "add on" in place and if it's even possible. 

6 REPLIES 6

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You should be fine. My experience was fine arriving at the airport and the Lahaina area. I didn't try it in the Kihei area. You will find coverage gaps along the ways as with all providers.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Best bet is to buy the USA calling add-on....but read the warnings first.  

While suggested to buy through *611....but verify if you need the money to buy in your balance before hand. 

Calling over wifi is a good idea....for calling out. But if an inbound emergency call is needed that is a problem. Wifi calling over FaceTime Apple to Apple, voip, Facebook needs to be reviewed to see if is 100% meeting your needs. 

Or buy a Mint OR Tracfone mobile SIM from Walmart for the duration. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Palakika64  - note Roaming Addon begin as soon as you successfully add them to your account.

You can go onto My Account (under the 'Shop addon' section) to purchase them, or you can purchase them by calling 611 from your device (you need your 4 digit account PIN).

WolverineCaz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For non emergencies, when I'm out of the country I usually just use the wifi and use the facebook messenger app to call people. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Palakika64 

Here is some more information about US roaming:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve

The problem with Public mobile US roaming is that the 3G Network is being decommissioned in the USA.  The quality of talk is unpredictable since US talk roaming with Public mobile is dependent on the T mobile 2G network in the USA.  This coverage of this network varies across the USA.  Some customers have had no issues with talk, while others could not use this service in their area.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Palakika64   Yes, you can.  Get the US roaming Talk and Text addon, it is 15 days long

Or if you need data, get the Bundle (talk/text/data) as well

And just in case, install a VoIP app, TextNow.  It will give you a 10 digits number.  you can make and receive calls on the app as long as you have wifi. Give this new number to your relatives as a backup just in case the roaming didn't work out well

Need Help? Let's chat.