cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Travel

sheriking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It doesn't sound like PM has a coverage plan outside of Canada/U.S.  We are traveling to the Caribbean in September - don't necessarily need to make calls, I guess the best way to communicate with family back home is through WIFI and using Facebook Messenger or WhatsUp.  Any comments/suggestions?  Thx.

57 REPLIES 57

@CatCanyon   depend on what phone you got, your phone might or might not work there.  Bring it with you, try it there.  If it works, perfect, then you have no worry about the contacts.

But if you worry about the contacts, sync it into Google or Apple cloud first, then even you got a new phone there, you can sync it back down to the new phone

CatCanyon
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks

@CatCanyon wrote:

I can install the SIM I got. However, I was then wondering about all my contacts etc. When I was in Morocco I bought a local phone. I actually brought my old phone. Thought that would be good for the Aussie SIM. Do you agree? If I understand you correctly, my 10 gig can't be accessed here even with Roaming on???

There is no roaming available anywhere but in the U.S. So no, you wouldn't be able to use any of your Public Mobile services.

CatCanyon

I can install the SIM I got. However, I was then wondering about all my contacts etc. When I was in Morocco I bought a local phone. I actually brought my old phone. Thought that would be good for the Aussie SIM. Do you agree? If I understand you correctly, my 10 gig can't be accessed here even with Roaming on???

Thanks for your response. 

CatCanyon

Thanks for your suggestions. I figured out the necessary steps to speak with my mother using Whatsapp... her care giver answers Whatsapp. I got Text now... also great. However,  next issue...

TextNow is great in Australia. Only issue is that open wifi is almost non-existent where I am. So, I'm limited in broad usage of my tools! Do you have a solution? I've turned in Roaming.

@CatCanyon   do you have access to local prepaid data there?

CatCanyon

TextNow is great in Australia. Only issue is that open wifi is almost non-existent where I am. So, I'm limited in broad usage of my tools! Do you have a solution? I've turned in Roaming.

CatCanyon

TextNow is great in Australia. Only issue is that open wifi is almost non-existent where I am. So, I'm limited in broad usage of my tools!  Do you have a solution? I've turned in Roaming.

@CatCanyon wrote:

The only issue with using apps is my mother is unable to see to receive the call.   I can do this with all other contacts... no problem.   

@CatCanyon   you are the one going on trip,right?  If so, you download the app and your mother does not have to 

Your mother call from a landline (or mobile) to your new number (you got from TextNow), a regular 10 digits number.  Your app will ring.  To your mother, she won't know you are using app to answer the calls

CatCanyon

The only issue with using apps is my mother is unable to see to receive the call.   I can do this with all other contacts... no problem.   

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

softech: Yes, I have the app and it works great. But I've only used it in the states. I guess it's obvious that once on the internet that it will answer wherever you are.

@dust2dust yes it will answer on any mobile network and wifi. .   Tried mysel

Places with free WiFi, like shopping malls , might block the VoIP port.   But Textnow can get through  those blocks more often than Fongo.   To be absolute sure, mobile data is more reliable than public free wifi. ( but hotel wifi usually ok)

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

softech: Other than the obvious being on the internet, do you know for certain that Textnow will answer anywhere in the world? (assuming some exceptions) Or is it simply obvious?

I understand the texting trick.

@dust2dust   

if @CatCanyon  get a TN, he will get a new phone number.  He can give that new phone number to his mom and mom can call him anytime, again, like any number.

or @CatCanyon can choose to forward the PM number to the TN number.  Then everyone call him on the usual PM number, it got forward to TN number while he is in Autralia

sorry, text does not work for forward without a trick

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Again with terminology 🙂

Textnow is a whole other number unrelated to your cell number. It only needs the internet.

Your cell number only works while in Canada or roaming with add-ons in the states. Nothing else.

I'm trying to get you back to your original intentions...your mother. You can call her however which way you like. She can only find you on your cell number while you're in Canada or roaming in the states. I'm not sure about voip apps finding you anywhere in the world. You can call here and the US but I'm not sure about being called.

>, if I give my TN number to my colleagues in the US, they will actually be calling my current Canadian number ??

@CatCanyon   yes, to your US friend, it is just another Canadian number, no different from your own Mobile number

When he calls, yuru TN app will ring as long as you are on WiFi or Mobile data.  If you missed the call, they can also leave voice-mail and you can listen to the VM by using the app

PM is not VoIP.   PM is real mobile carriers 

Forgo and TextNow are VoIP app.  

For your Coinbase text, is this a non Canadian business?  If it is US, maybe it can only send shortcodes, special system generated text, to US number only??   Many oversea services can only send text to within their own country 

CatCanyon

Ah! So interesting. Thanks. I'll download the app before I leave. Just double checking my understanding... the number I get from textnow becomes a layer over my current number which remains in digital existence? As an example, if I give my TN number to my colleagues in the US,  they will actually be calling my current Canadian number ??

Looking forward to your response. Thanks

CatCanyon

Yes... confusion in terminology is me!... do I have this right??

I believe with my PM plan I use either 3 or 4 LTE for internet... not aware of terminology UMGS.... thanks for that.... will look it up. However, isn't PM service VOIP? Therefore, aren't intensively calls using VOIP?? Not UMGS??

In addition, and perhaps you can answer this question... I've been trying to get a crypto wallet from Coinbase ... the second step authenticity is cell number. I keep getting an error message that my phone number is VOIP and therefore not good enough to secure the wallet.

Thanks for your attention.

data switching on - optionally. To save possible excess data consumption most people would opt not to let it switch automatically.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I think there's still some misunderstanding. I guess I'm not explaining well enough. You've been getting several ideas so no wonder there might be some confusion.

Textnow gives you a number to use for talk and text. It needs the internet. It's just an app completely unrelated to cellular service.

If you think you're fine with all of your other contacts finding you one way or another then that's done. The question still remains - will your mother call you? If not then you don't need to do anything differently. Just call her using whichever method you have available.

CatCanyon

Ok... more questions... thanks for your patience...so my 10gb data will switch on when away from wifi network??

CatCanyon

I wish I edited better before sending messages...;-) not *downgrade... download

CatCanyon

Thanks for the info. If you're willing, I'd like to repeat what I think you said. 

If I leave my old phone (Samsung 5) at home in BC, and clearly plugged in (as it loses power at an exponential rate) without the sim card (which I will leave in my current phone) then I should receive all the texts. This pathway is without having to downgrade textnow?? Do I understand your suggestion? 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I don't like to think of mobile data as called wifi. Your question has some convoluted terms in it. Your 10 gig's of data uses LTE(4G) or HSPA(3G) for internet connectivity. Phone calls are only on UMTS(3G). Texting can use either.

Yes, when you signup for TextNow (as well as Fongo), you can pick a new local number.  You DO NOT need to port your owner number.  You can , but you do not need to.  So, it is a new number you get for your travel.

so, you picked the new number and just give it to your friends and family and ask them to call you (You don't even need to tell them you have a VoIP .. as I said, it is just like a real line, real mobile or landline)

Please note for TextNow, if you don't use it for a month a two at all, they will recycle the number.  But if you use it occasionally to make or receive calls, even once a month, it should be sufficient to maintain the same phone number

It's free, so it has ad (unfortunately) , Usually after you made a call, there is a 10 sec ad comes up..

CatCanyon

Thanks... just checking... when I sign up for textnow do I retain my phone number? 

Also, when I return do I delete the app and dies that simply put me back into PM heaven 

CatCanyon

Thanks. I've often wondered:  does my 10 gb data plan act as wifi for phone calls when not on my home based wifi network?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you think your mother won't call you then you can call her using whichever method you like. No, textnow does not need the app at both ends unlike some others. What's nice about a voip app is that all you need is an internet connection. Wifi's everywhere.

CatCanyon

Great question. Thanks for picking up the thread of questioning. So many things to consider while traveling. 

Need Help? Let's chat.