cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls from landlines display "Private Number"

HuronBob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My wife had submitted a ticket because all of her incoming calls displayed "Private Number". We thought we had it resolved becuase anyone using a cellphone that called displayed either a contact name or a number. Then our neighbor called from their landline and it was displayed as "Private number". My wifes cousin called her from a landline and we got the same thing ("Private Number"). We were about to submit another ticket but I thought I would try and see if the same thing occured on my cell. We are both with P M. I got our neighbor to call my cell instead of my wifes and wouldn't you know it, it shows up as "Private Number" on my phone as well. We know that these phone numbers are not unlisted numbers. Please help get this resolved.

32 REPLIES 32

@HuronBob not solved, but at least we know why

happy Telus really tracked it down for you

>" Funny how the caller ID worked perfectly well when my wife was a customer of theirs". 

There was because the calls didn't leave their switch back thenm. I guess the trouble with smaller provider 

😞

HuronBob

@dust2dust  @softech  and all others that submitted suggestions. I would like to thank all of you for your support and suggestions in trying to help me resolve the issue of landlines appearing constantly as private numbers. I got a call from tech support last week and was given the bad news about the issue I was having. Here is what the tech found out for me. Telus was able to track the phone routing from my neighbors landline to my wifes cell phone. It appears that when leaving the local switching station, the caller ID was stripped from the call and then sent through Sasktel and then Alberta before coming back to southwestern Ontario. The local landline suplier (Tuckersmith Communications Co-OP) was contacted by the Telus tech and was told that they would do nothing to fix their problem as it would require to large of an investment. Funny how the caller ID worked perfectly well when my wife was a customer of theirs. There should be laws against that sort of B.S. 

It took a month and a half for the final result to get back to me but the Telus support group never stopped trying to resolve the issue on behalf of this Public Mobile client. Thank you all

lol That would be wives' 🙂 otherwise I think it's wife's in the case of possession. But I'm no English prof. English and all its stupid rules and exceptions....

HuronBob

@dust2dust    I did start a ticket a while back and they got back to me vey quickly. They reset both my wifes (only one wife 🙂  ) and my simcards but it did not help. He escalated the issue up a level. The second person tried a couple of different things that also did not solve the issue and I suggested that it could be the local Bell service providers issue because they are a pretty Mickey Mouse outfit (local provider, not Bell) and he agreed that it was quite possible and he escalated it again to a level that could trace where the call display service is actually failing. So this is where we are at. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of it at some point.

Good for you to continue testing ideas. We all appreciate participative fellow customers.

We could go to the nth degree and figure out which provider it is and which dial code turns off private number or if they even have such an option to turn on to begin with.

So has support got back to you?

HuronBob

@dust2dust  I went to the neighbors and used their landline to dial my number with the *82 in front and the result was still the same.

HuronBob

Well as soon as we dialed *31#, the recording started so it doesn't work in this neighborhood. I'm very hesitant to go back over and bother them again. I may try again tomorrow,

No, we're trying to unhide the landline call out. So the *31# was one possibility. I also found *82 recently for you from your update earlier. Maybe while you're waiting for support to do something you could get your neighbour to try it.

Just to be certain, it's *31# then your number. I think the 1 in front would be optional. Same as *82 (no # and optional 1).

HuronBob

@dust2dust According to the tech I am trying to work with, he said that #31# would hide the phone number. I did not try #31# but did as you said wit *31#1 and only got a reccording that the number is not recognized. I am starting to get the feeling that this may be a local issue from land lines that have to go through our local exchange before going out to cell towers?

HuronBob

@softech I am again working with someone right now to hopefully resolve issue.

As from before, this is just for testing to identify where the number is blocked somehow. Instead of *31#, try *82yournumber from that landline.

My thought process on this is that the landline has a setting to not show their number. Or that this happened somehow in the background. So the idea is to unhide the number for a single call.

No it does not explain why the number showed on a previous provider.

@HuronBob   push them to escalate the issue.  Message them daily for update to keep the ticket opened.

HuronBob

@softech I restarted the ticket yesterday and got a different tech. (No biggie) He asked how long has this been happenning? (Ever since my wife started with PM). I thought it was fixed but our neighbor had used her cell phone that particular time and that worked fine. That part of the issue was fixed because all numbers (cell or land) were showing as private. The tech also reset the network on my phone and after shutting down, removing sim and re-installing and starting up, it made no difference

@HuronBob what did PM say when you re-open the ticket with them? did they escalate to senior technical support?

HuronBob

People calling from a cell will display their name (If they are a contact) or number if they are not. It was not just the one number. She recieved 2 other cals from landlines that all displayed as private numbers

@HuronBob   Just "Carol" is not showing correctly?  how about other people's landlines? do they show?

HuronBob

@Meow  The neighbors landline displayed as "Carol" (one of the contacts on my wifes phone) on the Bell network before switching her service to PM(Telus).

@HuronBob   

and people on mobile calling you will show the number?

only your neighbour landline showing Private number? was it just that one neighbout?  did you ask other friends to check with their landlines as well?

HuronBob

Not IPhones

HuronBob

Ok, I went over to my neighbors house and used their landline to call my number and started with *31#1mynumber. I could not get past the *31#1 before I would get a recording that stated that number is not recognized.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

iphones? If so, go to settings general about and see if any updates happen.

HuronBob

But there was no issue with landlines prior to my wife signing up with P M

HuronBob

@dust2dust  I will give it a try

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If your neighbour is willing to try things then have them dial *31#1yournumber and see if you get private number.

It's not about their number being unlisted or not. I think Meow has touched on this likelihood.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@HuronBob wrote:

My wife had submitted a ticket because all of her incoming calls displayed "Private Number". We thought we had it resolved becuase anyone using a cellphone that called displayed either a contact name or a number. Then our neighbor called from their landline and it was displayed as "Private number". My wifes cousin called her from a landline and we got the same thing ("Private Number"). We were about to submit another ticket but I thought I would try and see if the same thing occured on my cell. We are both with P M. I got our neighbor to call my cell instead of my wifes and wouldn't you know it, it shows up as "Private Number" on my phone as well. We know that these phone numbers are not unlisted numbers. Please help get this resolved.

Make sure all the caller don't hide their phone numbers whether are landline numbers or cell phone numbers.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Land line could be Real land line (Bell, wires to your home) or VOIP. At some voip 'land lines' customer can be set Not to display name/number.

Ideally, find a phone which displays land line number and then call your phones from the same line and see what you will see.

@HuronBob  it's weird  😞  Ask on the same ticket and see what they say

HuronBob

I mean both of our phones

HuronBob

The only problem is that it is not happenning on my wifes phone but mine as well

HuronBob

I'll give it a try.

Need Help? Let's chat.