cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I upgrade my plan from 3G speed to 4G speed do I keep my 5GB bonus addon?

stigner123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I upgrade my plan from 3G speed to 4G speed do I keep my 5GB bonus addon that I received when I first signed up for Public?

If I go to the 4G plan with 3GB of data will I have 8GB instead or will that bonus add-on be lost?

11 REPLIES 11

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@chipmunk 

Yes.....you will nearly always lose recurring plan data bonuses when changing rate plans however when this same promotion was marketed over the holidays later that same year @Melinda_H replied to a thread confirming  you could keep the 2gb bonus recurring plan data as long as you remained at or above the $35 plan threshold (on a "3G" plan**). Depending on when you changed plans you could have inquired on whether the same offer would be extended to you despite activating 5 months before that promise/confirmation was made?

There has always been a distinct difference between these two types of promotional data bonuses. One being recurring plan data and the other a data add on. This may or may not have been the case before early December 2019 when on December 4th (if I recall correctly) @Alan_K ( pm....hmmm no username to tag anymore?) announced that all promotional data bonuses were now coded to be lost when the rate plan was changed. It took a few brave folk feeling lucky to test this proclamation and discover it did not apply to bonus data add ons only recurring plan data bonuses.

chipmunk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@darlicious wrote:

@stigner123 

Its extremely unlikely you will lose the 5gb bonus data add on however the terms and conditions always say you will.....so as always it's YMMV. However I have downgraded plans on at least 8 accounts and have yet to lose a promotional bonus data add on. But I don't know of anyone confirming either way when they have upgraded from a 3G plan to a 4G plan if they lost a bonus data add on? I'm sure though if they had it would have been reported in the community.

Just a reminder it will take up to 48 hours for your data to unthrottle from 3mbps to reach speeds of up to 100mbps.

To answer the question properly I think we would need to know what exact sign-up promotion @stigner123 has...

@darlicious 

I signed up with the following promotion and I did lose the monthly bonus data as I changed my plan about a year after signing up.

Since it was clearly in the fine print of my particular promo I didn't waste my and CSA's time to inquire if I could get it back.     

Screenshot 2022-10-02 13.46.29.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@stigner123 

Its extremely unlikely you will lose the 5gb bonus data add on however the terms and conditions always say you will.....so as always it's YMMV. However I have downgraded plans on at least 8 accounts and have yet to lose a promotional bonus data add on. But I don't know of anyone confirming either way when they have upgraded from a 3G plan to a 4G plan if they lost a bonus data add on? I'm sure though if they had it would have been reported in the community.

Just a reminder it will take up to 48 hours for your data to unthrottle from 3mbps to reach speeds of up to 100mbps.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

This bonus is part of particular plan/activation so you will not be able to keep it.

Only bonuses you can keep are those received from PM as part of Holiday bonus.

Plus all your rewards and add-ons.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Can we all make sure of the units we're typing. 3G is speed in this context. 3GB is quantity. 3Mbps and 3 gigs. Very different things.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@stigner123 

If you change to the 4G plan with 3 G of data.

Every month, you'll have 3G of data included with your plan to use.

Plus you'll get to also use your one time bonus data of 5G , until it's all used up.

Just to be clear.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@stigner123   just to clarify,

if you activate with this promo:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/New-Year-Savings-Get-your-second-month-...

this is a one time 5GB data, not recurring.  If you have not used it up yet and you still see it on your account, you would NOT loss it even you change plan.  This is a one time bonus and stay on your account as long as you stay with PM and as long as not used up

Only those recurring data bonus will be gone if you change plan.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@stigner123 

When you do your plan change, you'll be able to keep that data add on.

Data add on are attached to your account and not the plan you have.

That bonus data add on you have,  is probably just a one time 5GB.  You'll get to use it until it's all used up.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@stigner123 @Unfortunately no you would lose it 😞

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @stigner123 

Your  5G bonus data from activation  has a term saying it will be there as long as you are on the same plan. You will loss it if you make a plan change

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@stigner123   NO. Activation bonus will be gone with any kind of plan change.  

sorry about that

Need Help? Let's chat.