cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 11 + Apple watch 7, how to ?

Volleyball
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have Iphone 11 and physical sim from PM.

(I like to keep my current  PM plan)

Can I activate the esim in the Iphone 11 with Lucky or Kodoo to have 2. phone number and use it together with Apple watch 7 ?

Thanks for help

19 REPLIES 19

Volleyball

Hello dabor

I searched all carriers and a cell plan with my Apple Watch is to expensive.

The other problem would be to give my PM plan up.

I like my present plan with PM and it covers my needs for my cell. 

But not able to activate my Apple Watch with PM is for today the mayor problem.

Many such devices are sold and when the competition starts to support them, clients will change over.

Volleyball

Hello S—S

Thanks for your help and all the links to more info.

It permits me to do more research and make the right decision.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sounds like a good idea @Volleyball ! Let us know how it goes once you've had that setup for a couple months. A lot of us would be curious to know how well you find that arrangement working for you!

All the best! 🙂

Volleyball

Thanks for help.

I'm thinking to keep my PM plan with the actual sim for the majority for my calls and data.
The second plan should allow me to have on the esim on my IPhone 11 the second phone number that I can answer on the phone or on the Apple Watch 7.

For my data needs, I'm sticking to my PM plan. (  On the watch, the screen is to small to work with)

0PX9O4

@hTideGnow 

Au contraire, once PM moved to VoLTE, you would be free to use the data from your new eSIM to make VoLTE calls from Public Mobile. And if the eSIM is active from Telus or Koodo, they will still not count against your eSIM data usage. BUT this is not currently possible because PM doesn't support any eSIMs.

In my opinion the reason that newer higher end phones don't support dual-active is that is creates a lot of complexity in both software and hardware. And the need for dual-active use is greatly mitigated in a world where most carriers offer eSIMs and support VoLTE.

HI @0PX9O4   , again , thanks the for clear explanation and the list

So, basically dual-active data is not common at the moment.  Given that North America is so against Dual Sim compare with Europe or Asia, i guess now they have no choice with eSIM+nano at the moment, but they won't allow Dual Active Data here.  

I was hoping to get a new phone with eSIM for data only and nano for  PM for voice, i guess I have to re-think (yes, it works now but once PM moves to VoLTE, I am screwed 🙂  ) 

0PX9O4

For instance, Here's a list of the Android phones that Koodo will allow eSIMs on:

● Google Pixel 5
● Google Pixel 4 / 4 XL, 4a, 4a (5G)
● Google Pixel 3A / 3A XL
● Motorola Razr (Single SIM only)
● Samsung Galaxy S21 or newer (excluding A-Series)

None of these are dual-active. In fact almost no high-end modern phone supports dual-active SIMs.

thanks @0PX9O4   

I am more an Android person, do you know those high end Samsung phone allows dual active data channels?

0PX9O4

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @0PX9O4   thanks for clarifying. 

So, for the moment PM is running voice on the 3G network, it will work perfectly.  

But once PM changes to VoLTE, then having PM SIM for voice and another SIM for data would mean we cannot receive calls or data at the same time.  ?  We might even not receive calls as the phone cannot have 2 active data channel?

Depends on the phone. On a non-dual active phone, you will not be able to have 2 live data connections simultaneously either. So a VoLTE call on 1 number and a data connection from the other number will not be possible simultaneously on such devices. But 2 VoLTE/WiFi calling calls will be possible regardless, even on phones that only support 1 active SIM at a time.

HI @0PX9O4   thanks for clarifying. 

So, for the moment PM is running voice on the 3G network, it will work perfectly.  

But once PM changes to VoLTE, then having PM SIM for voice and another SIM for data would mean we cannot receive calls or data at the same time.  ?  We might even not receive calls as the phone cannot have 2 active data channel?

0PX9O4

@hTideGnow 

Yes you can, and for that matter this applies even on a lot of the higher-end Android phones that support eSIM. But not all phones will be able to maintain two ACTIVE connections at the same time. An active connection is a 3G phone call (VoLTE uses data anyway), or an data connection where something is actively being downloaded or uploaded.

@0PX9O4 wrote:

@Volleyball 

Yes you absolutely can do this. But keep in mind that both the eSIM and the physical SIM cannot have an active data connection at the same time, since the iPhone 11 is not a "dual-active" phone.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

HI @0PX9O4   But both SIM can still be used together?  We can setup something  like using voice on the PM and Data on Koodo?

0PX9O4

@Volleyball 

Yes you absolutely can do this. But keep in mind that both the eSIM and the physical SIM cannot have an active data connection at the same time, since the iPhone 11 is not a "dual-active" phone.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Volleyball 

your iphone 11 service with public mobile now right, so you need to open another line from Kodoo or Lucky because the use eSIM service, and also you need to keep your service with public mobile but you have to do call forwarding from iphone 11 to apple watch.

Set up and pair your Apple Watch with iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM - Apple Support (CA)

Set up cellular on Apple Watch - Apple Support (CA)

How To Pair Apple Watch To iPhone

Set up call forwarding and call waiting on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

How To do Call forwarding on iPhone.

Call Forwarding (publicmobile.ca)

i hope these link is help you. Good Luck.

@Volleyball     Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of knowledge about Apple products or ESIMS...   There are other users here who will be able to provide you with a more knowledgeable response, so just wait until you hear from others who have more experience with both ESIMs and IPhones.  

pkaraa

@Volleyball yes you can use eSIM from Koodo on iphone 11 and both the notifications will come on your connected watch. 

Not tested with PM and koodo myself but same device have been tested for one physical and one eSIM. 

Volleyball

Hello dabr

I currently use my IPhone 11 with physical sim from PM.

My question is if I can activate my esim with Kodoo Lucky to gave an second phone number on my phone and use it together with the Apple Watch 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Volleyball 

for your iphone 11 Yes is will working with Public Mobile. but for watch at public mobile not supporting,

visit Here link to review full information about your device.

visit  Here link, to check it all Provider in Canada about compatibility with any device.

Public Mobile uses the following frequency bands:

• 4G LTE and LTE Advanced: 700 MHz, 850 MHz, 1900 MHz and 2100 MHz downlink and 1700 MHz uplink (AWS).
  • HSPA: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz (UMTS).

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Volleyball    Sorry, PM doesn't offer ESIMs.  You'll need a physical PM SIM for use in a compatible phone.

Edit:  Nvd the above, misread...if the other carriers offer ESIMs then yes you can use that in your Apple watch.

Need Help? Let's chat.