cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to port my phone number and get a new one with Public Mobile

Bagera
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Guys,

I want to change my phone number (Public  Mobile) however I dont want to loose the old one i want to keep as a text message phone, so I found a good plan at 7-11 speak out which would allow me to pay less for that old phone number.

So what I need to do is:

1. Port my old phone number to 7-11

2. I dont want to loose all the loyalty points and so on with public mobile as I want to get a new number

How would I go about that?

10 REPLIES 10

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

What you want is a new line opened at PM and then an agent to swap the numbers around. This type of triangle swap can technically be done with a temporary 3rd line, but you're never going to find an agent willing or able to do that for you. That was even a stretch to find someone at the tier 1 providers to do that; it ain't going to happen on the budget brand with limited customer support.

Bagera

Thank you !

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bagera 

No, if the account is on hold you can’t do anything with it until you restore service. It won’t have any service at all. I don’t think this is the solution you are looking for but I’m just outlining the only sort of “number storage” that you can do with Public Mobile.

But if your intention is to keep the number as a texting phone perhaps the $15 plan would be suitable for your needs and work for keeping your rewards and number like you’re intending as it does offer unlimited international texting. Then you could create a new account as you originally intended for your 2nd phone. 

IMG_4500.jpeg

Bagera

will you be able to receive text messages? while the number is put on hold ?

JRod

@Bagera 

The only sort of number storage you could do here is to let your account suspend and be put on hold, you then have 90 days to make payment again to restore the account. If you don’t make a payment within 90 days then the account is automatically closed. This keeps the number on the account though, it cannot be moved to another service without resulting in the account being closed. 

For example if someone is out of country for a few months or so they might switch to the $15 plan right when they leave which gives them 30 days, then not pay so the account is on hold for 90, and then make payment at day 85 or so to restore the account. This process can be repeated as many times as necessary to keep the account and number. 

Bagera

Thank you i did send them an email, the point is i need my old phone for couple of months to be able to move all the MFA accounts over. i hope Public mobile offer something like that even within the service here if i can keep my number for a monthly fee without loosing my rewards.

JRod

@Bagera 

I know this is not what you want to hear but I don’t think this exact scenario is possible.

Yes you can port your number to another carrier but this will close your public mobile account and you will lose all of your rewards in the process. 

You can change phone numbers if you go to profile, then click the pencil beside your phone number but this will then put the number you intend on keeping back into the available pool of numbers or back to the original carrier if the number you have was ported in from somewhere else.

You can reach out to support to see if there is some sort of solution that only they can offer but from my knowledge I’m not sure if this is possible.

Please click this link below to message customer service:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Keep an eye on your mailbox here as that is where your reply will come in (envelope icon on desktop, click your avatar icon in the corner and then click messages if on mobile).

Bagera

So essentially no way to get rid of that and keep my old number 😞 and my rewards

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Bagera 

sorry, there is no way to get that done. Once you ported your number out, your account will be closed

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Bagera 

if you successfully port away to 711 or anywhere else...your PM account is deactivated. You'd lose it all.

Need Help? Let's chat.