cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think someone stole my SIM

zackSmithComm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Please help. Suddenly my sim has stopped working. I've been getting emails saying people are logging into my accounts using phone verification but I am not getting those texts. How do I get this back to my phone??

29 REPLIES 29

@darlicious wrote:

@zackSmithComm 

When you get the moderators to change your self serve account email you can either have them change your profile name or make a new community profile using your new email.

Although you need moderators to change the email address associated with your self-serve account, you can change your community account email address yourself by clicking "My Settings" in the top right, or click this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile

In the end, just ensure that the same email address is used for both so that the system can automatically apply any community rewards to your account. Also ensure that the case is exactly the same - I had this issue it was resolved by ensuring uppercase/lowercase between self-serve and the community forums was exactly the same.

@zackSmithComm wrote:

Update: Thank you all. Thanks to you I managed to get a new SIM and get my phone number back. Not entirely sure how this happened but I am updating every password I have now and will go through the task of unsuspending my financial accounts

Good to hear. From other recent accounts of this I've read about on these forums it seems PayPal was the primary target. I'm curious if you saw notifications of accounts from additional institutions being targeted in your case?

@zackSmithComm 

When you get the moderators to change your self serve account email you can either have them change your profile name or make a new community profile using your new email.

Great to hear @zackSmithComm, now to make sure nothing else was compromised.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

zackSmithComm

Thank you for the suggestions. I will continue getting in touch with Mods to sort more things out. I understand using my real name may not have been the smartest idea, unfortunately I was rushing to make an account to ask my question to get it all sorted out.

Also,  @zackSmithComm , further to @darlicious recommended changes, if your REAL name is Zack Smith, I'd recommend changing your community username as well.

@zackSmithComm 

I'm happy to hear you have your service back. I would suggest you create a new email just for your pm account and have the moderators change your email. You can then change your community profile to your new email. Ask the moderators if they will give you a credit for the cost of your new sim card and review your social media to make sure you are not revealing too many personal details.

great job everyone! super bravo 👍

zackSmithComm

Update: Thank you all. Thanks to you I managed to get a new SIM and get my phone number back. Not entirely sure how this happened but I am updating every password I have now and will go through the task of unsuspending my financial accounts.

You all helped so much and I really can't thank you enough. Hopefully this never happens again aha. 🙂

@zackSmithComm 

EZ Sim canada, KW laptops, Cellular Waves, Cellular Point......

@zackSmithComm 

Walmart is my last choice check the "find a store" there are 22 locations in your area including superstore and loblaws.

zackSmithComm

If walmart doesn't work then I will just drive around checking every place until I find a store that does. Thank you everyone for your help. This has never happened to me and was quite scary. Looks like I was hopefully fast enough to stop anything major like money being lost though. Thank you once again, you guys are all really the absolute best

zackSmithComm

Thank you. I will check my local walmart and hope I can find something that works

@zackSmithComm 

TMS at superstore, some koodo/telus stores, walmart but they might refuse without activation which you dont want....wow mobile, cellurffic.....etc.....lots of independent mobile stores.

@zackSmithComm wrote:

I live in Kitchener, Ontario. It seems there are a lot of places around but no clue which sell SIMS. Some seem to be kiosks as well. Would any of those work? Thanks again

You can check local Walmart store 

if you need to order online, you probably don't want to use PM online as they use Canada Post for shipping and it takes time.

If you are Amazon Prime member, you can order via Amazon and they usually deliver within 2 days and they have better tracking 

zackSmithComm

I live in Kitchener, Ontario. It seems there are a lot of places around but no clue which sell SIMS. Some seem to be kiosks as well. Would any of those work? Thanks again

@zackSmithComm 

Where do you live? You can check the store locator at the bottom of the page.

zackSmithComm

Unfortunately no I don't have a new sim. Do I have to buy one through Public or can I buy one in a store perhaps? Thank you

@kb_mv 

You've got the **poof** bug bad! Are you sure self imposed quarantine is going to help? I think you need to teach that dragon breathing bug a lesson. Make it learn that there's nothing wrong with your posts. You need your healthy posts to dominate over the "sick" ones otherwise the percentages will stack against you if you become a quitter. You're dropping the ball instead of when you think you're bringing it home.

zackSmithComm

No I don't have a new SIM. Is there any way I can get one in a store, or do I have to buy one through Public? I know those may take a while to arrive

@zackSmithComm 

The moderators do prioritize your type of issue but response time has been up to 48 hours recently. If you have access to a new sim card you will be able to restore your phone service faster by replacing the sim card and simply changing the sim card by entering the new unactivated sim card # in your account.

@kb_mv wrote:

Wow, my post was yanked lol. I'm going home.

@kb_mv weird, I saw it there with my first reply.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

zackSmithComm

Thank you. I have sent them a message, and have locked down most of my accounts with financial institutions. I hope they can get back to me soon. Thank you everyone for your help

@zackSmithComm 

You should make sure any financial accounts havent been compromised first by changing those passwords and suspending your online banking. You send a private message to the Moderator_Team with Urgent- simjacked in the subject line. Leave a detailed message and include the following:

1. Full name and address on your account.
  2.  Email, phone # and pin #.

Keep an eye on your private message box (the envelope icon) next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little bubble to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly will speed up service times.

zackSmithComm

Hello. Thank you I have locked my account. I cant seem to figure out how to submit a ticket though... The chat bot keeps telling me to check the forum for support

Wow, my post was yanked lol. I'm going home.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@zackSmithComm 

Immediately put your phone in lost/stolen.  You can find it on the usage or plans page. Change your password. Then call your bank and all other financial accounts and inform them you have been simjacked. Once you have secured your accounts you can contact the moderators to restore your account.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@zackSmithComm wrote:

Please help. Suddenly my sim has stopped working. I've been getting emails saying people are logging into my accounts using phone verification but I am not getting those texts. How do I get this back to my phone??

You will need to log into your self-serve and check the last 4 digits of your registered SIM with what is listed online in your account.  If they don't match you will need to contact the moderators by submitting a trouble ticket through the Chat bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

@zackSmithComm wrote:

Sorry, but it sounds like you might be right.  Go into yoru self serve account (if you can still get in) and check if the partial SIM card number shown in your account matches the one that you have in your possession. If it doesn't, immedaitely report your phone as lost/stolen and also change your password and security questions. Then, contact the moderators by opening a ticket at https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat to have them re-assign service to the proper SIM card.

Need Help? Let's chat.