cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Blowing through my data all of a sudden!

kkawa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all! 

I'm blowing through my data all of a sudden! No change in my usage patterns, but i've gone from having amply every month, to ran out with three days left last month, now i'm not even a week in and getting a 75% usage warning. 

I've found where you can see how much data is used a day, and some are 1 GB!! 

Is there a place to see detailed where that data usage is coming from? this shouldn't be happening. 

Can my data be hacked or pirated, is that a thing? 

6 REPLIES 6

tzliu
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kkawa 

If no usage pattern change, make sure if you have not accidentally disabled your WIFI.  1GB a day usage is telling that you were likely using cellular data instead of WIFI data. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@kkawa are you on Android or iPhone?

If android, there is a Data Mobile Usage page, just change the cycle date to match PM cycle date and you can confirm how much data used during the period and which app used the data:

E-MobileData.png

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

First confirm how much data you have logging to your account. Then look at your data usage on account, not phone.

Public Mobile has web page cache issue so you might be looking at obsolete status. Click on little spinner refresh icons lower down. Try using different browser. Try Incognito/private mode. Clear browser’s cache. Try forced refresh. Use computer and not phone to log in.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@kkawa 

When it comes to those text notifications, they are very unreliable.

Your best source of information for a reliable counter is on your self-serve landing page. Before accessing that, make sure to clear cache and cookies and open an incognito tab, as you may be seeing cached information.

As far as where to see detailed usage, the only place that would be accessible will be your individual device under your data usage. It will show which apps are consuming the largest to least amount of data.

And while it is unlikely your data is being hacked, if you have set up a hotspot for others to use, that could be possible.  Check under your Cellular connections for any hotspots you may have created or enabled.

A few things you may want to consider: 

• Do you have Wi-Fi or data assist features turned on, which will revert mobile data when a Wi-Fi signal is weak
  • Do you have a data limit set on your device which will disable mobile data once that preset limit is reached
  • Did you ensure no background data is consumed when on mobile data. 

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should be able to see which specific apps are using the data in your phone's Settings app.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@kkawa wrote:

Hello all! 

I'm blowing through my data all of a sudden! No change in my usage patterns, but i've gone from having amply every month, to ran out with three days left last month, now i'm not even a week in and getting a 75% usage warning. 

I've found where you can see how much data is used a day, and some are 1 GB!! 

Is there a place to see detailed where that data usage is coming from? this shouldn't be happening. 

Can my data be hacked or pirated, is that a thing? 

Detailed used is inside your Public Mobile account.  The coutner is updated fast but the details of the usage are slow at updating.  Disable wifi assist and disabled background data on some apps to use less data.

Need Help? Let's chat.