cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't make local calls - it says that I'm making long distance calls

lilyjayde
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This has been going on for the last 4 weeks for me. It was originally only happening randomly but if I ended the call and tried to call the person again a couple times it eventually worked itself out. NOW, my phone is doing it with almost ALL phone calls. I’m in Toronto calling 416, 647 or 437 area codes and the people are NOT out of province. 

What the heck is going on ?! I also messaged the moderator team last night and haven’t gotten a response yet about it but it’s really frustrating! I have to use my data to make a phone call on a texting/calling APP because of this. Then when my data is higher than it should be it’ll be “oh well too bad for you, your account shows you used it all and we don’t care what you used it for” Smh. 

6 REPLIES 6

lilyjayde
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m unable to complete the call. It’s mainly with 437 numbers I call. Sometimes 647 too. If I keep calling repeatedly sometimes it’ll work but the mods have had to make it so my plan has a small long distance add on. Appreciate that but still frustrating!

thanks everyone 

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

Can you confirm specifically, that the message is that you can not complete the call without long distance?

Calling between local area codes, not all exchanges are 'local'.  For instance, although Brantford and Cambridge are both in the area codes 519 and 226, I need to call 'LD' to call my Dad.  However, it's not a charge on my province wide plan.  The message I get (when I don't call LD) is "The number you're calling is long distance, charges may be applied".  If you're getting this message, it will complete, and there will be no charges, as it's in the same province.

Adding the +1 to all your contacts will help limit the message when dialing.

If there's truly an issue, and the calls won't complete, please contact the @CS_Agent via private message with your account details.

@stonechucker did an excellent job of explaining it with a great example.

This happens to me for 'local numbers' from time to time as well, it's a P.I.T.A, but the +1 helps. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Can you confirm specifically, that the message is that you can not complete the call without long distance?

Calling between local area codes, not all exchanges are 'local'.  For instance, although Brantford and Cambridge are both in the area codes 519 and 226, I need to call 'LD' to call my Dad.  However, it's not a charge on my province wide plan.  The message I get (when I don't call LD) is "The number you're calling is long distance, charges may be applied".  If you're getting this message, it will complete, and there will be no charges, as it's in the same province.

Adding the +1 to all your contacts will help limit the message when dialing.

If there's truly an issue, and the calls won't complete, please contact the @CS_Agent via private message with your account details.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is hard to dispute the data meter.  The phone may be doing some sort of sync or backup which consumes data.  As for calling issue, there are some quirks with certain area codes.  It is best policy to put +1 in front of a number.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Do the calls go through if you ignore the message? I have that message regularly but it does not affect connection.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lilyjayde  are you ptting a 1 infront of the number(s) you are dialing?    

the mods will get back to you, they work on requests on a first come first serve basis.  

Need Help? Let's chat.