cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't make a local call because it is telling me it is long distance

bibliie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i paid for my old plan but changed it to the 40$/5G one (yes its paid for and my next payment is due in febuary 24) and now i cant text,call or use my data i cant receive texts or calls either and i tried asking a bot they told me to remove my sim and put it back in then restart my phone but it didnt work. then they told me to check my apn but that didnt work so then i tried to put it as lost/stolen then logout for a few minutes then log back in re activate my service then restart my phone MANY times but it still doesnt work and keeps saying they cannot place my call because i dont have a long distance add-on (numbers are local and my plan includes unlimited calls throughout Canada and unlimited text internationally) please help me.

25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@slava74 wrote:

Need help. I can't make a local call because it is telling me it is long distance.

Thanks

@slava74 

Did you add a 1 in front of the 10 digits?

If you stay on the line after the recording does it connect you anyway?

If you're worried about any charges, there won't be any.

@slava74  a écrit :

Need help. I can't make a local call because it is telling me it is long distance.

Thanks

Did you write a message to the moderator..https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 and explain what happened? Waiting time is few hours to 2 days.

slava74

Thanks

@RossN wrote:

I would suggest you give them your pin and phone number, it may save you a step later

It will not save a step. There is a new identification procedure triggered AFTER the first private message. All personal info in that first message is ignored.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@blueandpink et al. Sending the phone number & PIN with a private message to the moderators will not save time. They have a new procedure that requires a separate connection to send your PIN, etc. to prove your identity. That link is provided when they first respond to your message, no matter what you include therein. From that point forward replying to any private message from a particular moderator is supposed to go directly to them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Paid...then i switched......possible explanation......

bibliie
my payment is due next month on the 24th and my plan is 40$ per 30 days

@bibliie wrote:

update: i bought a 20$ tap up card and now i could call.

That's strange.  Does your plan cost $20 per 30 days?  If so, I would double check when your payment was due and whether you may have accidently passed the date without paying for another 30 days.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@surreyboz wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

Don' worry that's normal @1Dani...try it you don't have to pay for what you didn't pay for it!!! That's prepaid!!Smiley Wink

Sorry for Going off Topic.  I wouldn't call it Prepaid.  Prepaid is where you can be billed for overages & pay per use charges from your Prepaid Available Balance. The correct name for Public Mobile is Pay Before.

@Orginal Poster,  Just ignore that message and see if the call goes through. 

I don't believe the term Pay Before has ever been used by any carrier in Canada other than Freedom Mobile.   In my opinion, Prepaid and Pay Before are used to mean one-in-the-same, although Prepaid is the more generic and accepted wording.  I'd say that unless you've previously been a Wind/Freedom customer before, many people would not understand what Pay Before means.

Companies have used various terms to describe a type of plan where everything is pay-per-use. Rogers used Pay as You Go, while Wind used the the phrase Pay Your Way.

@bibliie, I would stop restarting your phone (although it's possible that could cause the network to reprovision something on your account, but you've already tried multiple times), and definitely stop trying to play with any settings on your phone, especially things like APN settings.

APN settings only relate to data usage.  Further, there are no settings on your phone that can change a local call into long distance.  This is an issue with your account, backend, or network end that you cannot control, nor can you fix yourself.

if calling a local number is resulting in a message that call cannot be placed, you will need to get the moderators to fix this.

I know no company in Canada uses the name Pay Before other than Wind but think about it, doesn't it make sense to call it 'Pay Before at Public Mobile' because Nothing works with PM unless you Pay Before for the Service you want.

bibliie

update: i bought a 20$ tap up card and now i could call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@surreyboz wrote:

Sorry for Going off Topic.  I wouldn't call it Prepaid.  Prepaid is where you can be billed for overages & pay per use charges from your Prepaid Available Balance. The correct name for Public Mobile is Pay Before.

Yeah I'm gonna join computergeek541 here...would it make it clearer if there was a hyphen in the word? Pre-paid. Pre = synonymous with before. Here we pre pay for the service we expect to get.

Now...post-paid = synonymous with after. For those services one pre pays for the service they wish to use and post-pay for extra services that one didn't pre-pay for.

There are real pay as you go services out there where you consume a pot of money bit by bit for whatever service you wish to use.

@surreyboz wrote:

@Lieux wrote:

Don' worry that's normal @1Dani...try it you don't have to pay for what you didn't pay for it!!! That's prepaid!!Smiley Wink

I don't believe the term Pay Before has ever been used by any carrier in Canada other than Freedom Mobile.   In my opinion, Prepaid and Pay Before are used to mean one-in-the-same, although Prepaid is the more generic and accepted wording.  I'd say that unless you've previously been a Wind/Freedom customer before, many people would not understand what Pay Before means.

Companies have used various terms to describe a type of plan where everything is pay-per-use. Rogers used Pay as You Go, while Wind used the the phrase Pay Your Way.

@bibliie, I would stop restarting your phone (although it's possible that could cause the network to reprovision something on your account, but you've already tried multiple times), and definitely stop trying to play with any settings on your phone, especially things like APN settings.

There has been some reported success in fixing strange glitches by having your phone reported as lost and then reactivating your service, but there's no guarantees.

APN settings only relate to data usage.  Further, there are no settings on your phone that can change a local call into long distance.  This is an issue with your account, backend, or network end that you cannot control, nor can you generally fix this type of thing yourself.

if calling a local number is resulting in a message that call cannot be placed, you will need to get the moderators to fix this.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lieux wrote:

1Dani
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was replying to the original problem on the thread, sorry, I haven't figured out how to quote yet.  I myself have no problems or complaints and just finished upgrading my daughters package.

1Dani

This happened to me and I have no idea why it worked but when I triied to turn on my wireless hotspot everything started to work fine and has worked fine ever since, sounds weird, is weird, makes no sense but it worked, maybe you can be so lucky too!

bibliie

like my old plan expired yesterday it was 45$ and i put 43$ on my account then i switched to the 40$ plan so now i only have 3$ in my account 

@blueandpink wrote:

I think you will need your PIN, try to give them a call and it will be ok. Maybe try to wait a while for the information to be updated, it happens to me last time and it works for me

@blueandpink

Just a reminder that Public Mobile doesn't offer over the phone customer service (unless you are still on a plan from before January 2015, and that support is ending this spring).

All support starts here in the community, where we as fellow customers try to help. Any account related issues are going to be referred to the moderators, who are the Public Mobile customer service representative. That information has already been given in this thread.

Tamhoop

@blueandpink wrote:

I think you will need your PIN, try to give them a call and it will be ok. Maybe try to wait a while for the information to be updated, it happens to me last time and it works for me

@bibliie

As you are waiting for moderator help, you might want to try manually loading $1 into your balance.  Sometimes, that also restarts your plan.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

blueandpink

RossN
Mayor / Maire

I would suggest you give them your pin and phone number, it may save you a step later

Do we still need to give you our PIN the first time we write a message to you @CS_Agent? It's usual now to just ask for the explanation of the problem...????

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bibliie wrote:

i paid for my old plan but changed it to the 40$/5G one (yes its paid for and my next payment is due in febuary 24) and now i cant text,call or use my data i cant receive texts or calls either and i tried asking a bot they told me to remove my sim and put it back in then restart my phone but it didnt work. then they told me to check my apn but that didnt work so then i tried to put it as lost/stolen then logout for a few minutes then log back in re activate my service then restart my phone MANY times but it still doesnt work and keeps saying they cannot place my call because i dont have a long distance add-on (numbers are local and my plan includes unlimited calls throughout Canada and unlimited text internationally) please help me.

@bibliie

I read you paid for your old plan...did you change plans after your payment date then pay again for the new plan?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your issue, just send a private message through the following link, and provide your public mobile phone number and PIN and explain whats going on :
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

Need Help? Let's chat.