cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am unable to make or receive calls in the lasr couple days

kaway
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Prior to this calls worked as normal. I am showing out of plan minutes but it shows I have 1000 add on minutes with 0 being used. Is this a plan issue or a network issue? Unable to access Simon.

11 REPLIES 11

kaway

Thank you.

@kaway wrote:

Cellular data is on. How do I contact a CS Agent?

@kaway  - did you check for any outages in your area?

Try manually selecting the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) and see if that improves anything.

If after all other troubleshooting and still issues connect with a Public mobile CSA to check in with them.

­­­Public Mobile Representatives customer support­­­ agents (CSA) can be contacted by either two methods, found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kaway 

You can try toggling airplane mode on/off just in case getting a new connection to the network helps but switching to 3G only will help determine a few factors. To do so go to your Settings >>Network and Internet>>Mobile network >>Advanced>>Network Mode or Preferred network type>> Choose 3G only. (Depending on your device the wording may differ but you should be able to use these instructions to get to where you need to be to change this setting in your phone.)

The quick and easy test is just to try calling 611 or make a call. Does this setting improve your ability to call and connect? 

Next find out your signal strength for the 3G network now that you are in 3G mode only. Again go to Settings>>About Phone>>Sim card status>>Signal Strength>> -dBm? What is your -dBm? I strongly suspect it will be below -100dBm. Ideally you want to see a number between -60dBm and -80dBm. -81dBm to -94dBm is workable. -95dBm to -100dBm is poor. Anything below that is unusable.

Where are you located? Major cross streets or your postal code will allow us to look at your local cell tower's. But it sounds like either bell or telus has shut down transmission of the 3G network bands (B2&B5) on your local tower in favour of 5G deployment. If you can still recieve a 3G signal albeit a weak one from a tower further away we can come up with some options while we all await telus implementing VoLTE for pm customers.

The workaround will be to download a voip provider app like textnow and choose a Canadian phone number. When you are in an area with a good connection to the 3G network you call forward (busy/unreachable setting) your pm phone # to your textnow #. Whenever an incoming caller cannot reach you due to a poor or no 3G signal for your phone to connect to the caller will be forwarded to your textnow phone # instead of defaulting to your voicemail. Textnow will work for free on wifi or use mobile data. (0.5mb=1min or 250mb=500min) You will need to use textnow for your outgoing calling when you cannot connect to the 3G network with your pm phone #.  Hopefully VoLTE gets implemented in the next couple of months so you don't have to use this workaround for long?!!

kaway

Network reset of phone did not work.

kaway

Cellular data is on. How do I contact a CS Agent?

kaway

Text works. Account is active.

kaway

When I make a call, I get dead airspace. If I wait sometimes it rings through but recipient says the call is really broken up and then I get call Failed error. i cannot call 611. I do not receive incoming calls and caller says it goes straight to voicemail. I  don't know where to change network mode.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@kaway 

Check to see if there is an outage in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

Also, is the Cellular Data is enabled in the phone Settings?

If everything is fine then it could be a provisional issue and you need to contact a CS_Agent to have a Technician look into the issue.

@kaway 

Does text work? Is your account status active?  

If above suggestions don't work, might also want to try network reset of phone. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kaway 

When you try to make a call what happens? Can you call 611? What happens to incoming calling? Do they go straight to voicemail? Does it ring for the caller first or do they get your greeting before it rings? If you switch your device's network mode to 3G only does it make any difference?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @kaway try to reseat your sim card with a reboot

and if you have another phone, try the PM said m card there. 

try using the phone in another area as well 

Need Help? Let's chat.