cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check MINUTES addon usage outside Self-Serve

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Anyone know of a way to check usage of a MINUTES add-on outside of Self-serve?

I tried 611 BUT it only gives usage for DATA add-ons. 

34 REPLIES 34

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97   you tagged the wrong Jade,  it's @J_PM  you want to tag  🙂

Thanks. Corrected.

@J_PM  Please see the above.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Lol....yes that seems to be "naughty" Jade!

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@pm-smayer97   you tagged the wrong Jade,  it's @J_PM  you want to tag  🙂

Thanks @softech  and @darlicious  for the tips.

It seems my most viable options, however inconvenient, would be to track usage using the built-in phone app counters, factoring in the lack of minute rounding (in my experience, if you make a lot of shortish calls, it is a difference of about 20%. Of course, this difference will be lower if you have lots of long calls).

So again, given NO INTERNET ACCESS (no DATA, no WiFi), I think my approach would be to take note of when a new minutes add-on is purchased (via the text message notification that is received when purchasing a minutes add-on, turns out there is no text notification for this add-on), then add the number of minutes used from the 50 minutes from each time the 50/50 plan renews (based on the timing of the text message notification) if the 500 minutes have not been used up within the 30 days, and once reaching about 80% of usage (say about 450 minutes), that would be a clue to purchase another 500 mins add-on.

VERY CRUDE and clumsy but the closest there seems to be at this time.

@J_PM   Please consider adding one or all of 3 things:

1. text notification when a minutes add-on is about to run out, like the 10 minutes notification for the base plan

2. ability to check usage of minutes add-ons via 611

3. ability to check usage of add-ons via text messaging to PM.

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97   The solution might be there with you all the time (if you are on Samsung.. possibly other Android)

Not sure what type of phone you have, I know on Samsung, there is a phone counter for Total outgoing minutes.  Maybe that is what you are looking for ?  sorry, I think iPhone has only Total minutes but does not break down into outgoing/incoming

But of course, the counter won't round up to the next minutes like what PM does, so, it is still inaccurate if you compare against PM minute counter

Seems like that may be my only workable workaround. It's not convenient but it is something to work with.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

I see what you mean now. The price updated overnight so I can now contact pm to discuss the rate hike. An update will be posted soon.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@darlicious wrote:

@softech 

The $10 soon to be $13 50/50 plan counts both incoming and outgoing minutes.

Yes, very sad change. And we get nothing more for it....  😞

@darlicious wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

You must monitor your minute usage somewhat from the time you purchase your $5/500min add on and it depletes down to around 100 minutes remaining? When you get to below 100 minutes send yourself a text denoting the minutes remaining. Then when you get the 10 minutes remaining text you know when you will switch over to the add on for usage. You can then account for your add on minute usage using your phone and when you know you have less than 20 minutes remaining in your $5/500min add on you know it's time to add a new one before you leave home for an extended time.

But I'm a little surprised if you are low usage customer that you have blown thru the "more is merrier " add ons already. I'm still working on the "more is merrier" 1gb data add on from 2019 with only 48mb/1024mb used from the August 2019 1gb bonus add on gift. I have so many minutes remaining on both of my accounts to not worry but have used up one $5/500min add on each since joining pm.

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

Seems like personal tracking of used minutes using the built-in phone app is the closest work-around to use.

"Low usage" is relative. My definition of low usage is that it is lower than the next plan up cost wise.... Unlimited calling is $25. From the $10 plan (yes, soon to be $13), that is $15 more (soon to only be $12). For it to be worthwhile to upgrade, I would have to exceed 1550 minutes/30 days on a regular basis. That does not happen. Not close, but lately high enough to use up all the free minutes add-ons provided by PM, i.e. more that 50 mins/30 days... so not hard to achieve. BTW, I only had 2100 free minutes from PM promos on one plan (that was my highest accummulation). All gone now. So in recent months, have been purchasing 500mins add-ons...but no easy way to track usage.

@pm-smayer97   Yes, i asked because I was trying to looking Apps for you

did you check my suggestion about the native counter comes with the phone dialer?   Seems to be your only choice at the moment

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97  are you on Android or iOS?

Relevance? The plans use iOS, Android, and dumb phones.

Thanks @darlicious , then iPhone dialer counter would work as well 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

The $10 soon to be $13 50/50 plan counts both incoming and outgoing minutes.

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pm-smayer97   The solution might be there with you all the time (if you are on Samsung.. possibly other Android)

Not sure what type of phone you have, I know on Samsung, there is a phone counter for Total outgoing minutes.  Maybe that is what you are looking for ?  sorry, I think iPhone has only Total minutes but does not break down into outgoing/incoming

But of course, the counter won't round up to the next minutes like what PM does, so, it is still inaccurate if you compare against PM minute counter

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

You must monitor your minute usage somewhat from the time you purchase your $5/500min add on and it depletes down to around 100 minutes remaining? When you get to below 100 minutes send yourself a text denoting the minutes remaining. Then when you get the 10 minutes remaining text you know when you will switch over to the add on for usage. You can then account for your add on minute usage using your phone and when you know you have less than 20 minutes remaining in your $5/500min add on you know it's time to add a new one before you leave home for an extended time.

But I'm a little surprised if you are low usage customer that you have blown thru the "more is merrier " add ons already. I'm still working on the "more is merrier" 1gb data add on from 2019 with only 48mb/1024mb used from the August 2019 1gb bonus add on gift. I have so many minutes remaining on both of my accounts to not worry but have used up one $5/500min add on each since joining pm.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pm-smayer97  are you on Android or iOS?

Not total buckets. It's total remaining.

Turns out it does give me international minutes. All 3 giveaways. But not plan or a free Canada which I have. Although none have been touched.

@softech wrote:

Pretty sure app will not come to PM.  (old story, Koodo has an app and Telus killed it)

I just looking forward the Self Serve page will be a more mobile friendly site and easiler for everyone to check usage on the phone. 

But as I mentioned, the solution I am looking for is outside DATA usage, i.e. no internet access., e.g. à la 611, or even text messaging, NOT Self-serve NOR an app, since both required internet access.

@dust2dust wrote:

The 50 texts, 50 minutes and 100 minutes all get a warning text that there are 10 texts or minutes left in the plan. I concede that there will be some users that don't monitor texts coming in even though they get them. Is that the fault of Public? No.

If a person is managing the accounts of those kinds of users then they just have to deal with logging in to manage. I agree that it seems to be an obvious thing to include minutes in 611 usage, but this is Public.

I am already familiar with the notification at the 10 mins and 10 text marks. As I mentioned the TITLE, I am looking for feedback for minute ADDONS, for which there currently is no notification. That would at least be of use but alas does not exist for ADDONS.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

One of my wish list to PM is an PM app to view all usage on my smartphone but unfortunately Self Serve is the only option.

Whether an app or web browser for Self-Serve, both require internet access. But what I am looking at is a solution without data access while on the go, as I have mentioned in some of my posts.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 wrote:

Anyone know of a way to check usage of a MINUTES add-on outside of Self-serve?

I tried 611 BUT it only gives usage for DATA add-ons. 

And as it turns out, 611 is not accurate re:remaining DATA. It reports that I only have 9.5GB when Self-Serve reports 10.5GB. 😞

Pretty sure app will not come to PM.  (old story, Koodo has an app and Telus killed it)

I just looking forward the Self Serve page will be a more mobile friendly site and easiler for everyone to check usage on the phone. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

One of my wish list to PM is an PM app to view all usage on my smartphone but unfortunately Self Serve is the only option.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The 50 texts, 50 minutes and 100 minutes all get a warning text that there are 10 texts or minutes left in the plan. I concede that there will be some users that don't monitor texts coming in even though they get them. Is that the fault of Public? No.

If a person is managing the accounts of those kinds of users then they just have to deal with logging in to manage. I agree that it seems to be an obvious thing to include minutes in 611 usage, but this is Public.

@Meow wrote:

Yes, you might be right on both counts.

So why not upgrade plan to unlimited calls and forget worrying about minutes?

Because one, my usage is not high enough, and two, with the $10 50/50 plan I can still get LTE data if I want it but would lose that to 3G once I switch plans. That said, I don't really use data...but eventually I may.

Yes, you might be right on both counts.

So why not upgrade plan to unlimited calls and forget worrying about minutes?

@softech wrote:

@pm-smayer97   and remember, get an VoIP app for emergency use, you have Wifi (or Data), then you are alive.

there's the rub... often do not have WiFi... and no data on the phone. Also, some of my phones are dumb phones.

@Meow wrote:

With free WiFi almost everywhere, will TextNow help you out? And you can use self-serving account that way and check minutes/buy add-on.

If you often get into this situation, did you consider buying $5=500 Canada wide minutes? Never expires but good to have as backup. Or upgrading to $25 Plan?

That is exactly the problem ... buy add-ons but cannot see when they are running out without logging into Sefl-serve. Was hoping for a viable alternative.

And no, free WiFi is not available in A LOT of places. Hence the inquiry.

With free WiFi almost everywhere, will TextNow help you out? And you can use self-serving account that way and check minutes/buy add-on.

If you often get into this situation, did you consider buying $5=500 Canada wide minutes? Never expires but good to have as backup. Or upgrading to $25 Plan?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately no other options currently 

Need Help? Let's chat.