cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to block a number from leaving voice-mail?

BarnDamage
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been receiving spam calls from a specific number, I blocked the number but, they can still leave me voice mails, how do I stop this without changing my phone number?

19 REPLIES 19

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@srlawren 

Lol... Whoops! That's the problem with these long quotes of quotes and quotes you can mix up who actually said what? But yes it was more of a comment on the fact that the overhaul of the self-serve system sucks so a new overhaul that actually works would be better.

To quote Mike Holmes I simply don't understand why telus simply didn't spend the money to...."Do it right the first time!"

But I guess that's what happens when you fund your self-serve overhaul by raising the funds via a $3 price hike to the $10 50/50 legacy plan? 😀😄😃😅😅😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

"Even if Telus were to decide to implement that is already in their possession so that Public Mobile customers could use it, they would need to overhaul the Self Serve system again."

@srlawren 

That wouldn't be bad thing? Would it?

@darlicious well, you quoted @computergeek541 and then tagged me so I'm not sure if you meant to tag him instead?  I'll try to answer your question anyway: would it be a bad thing for them to overhaul the self-serve system again?  For us--no.  For Telus/PM--well, sort of.  Work like that is relatively expensive and they just spent to do a refresh recently.  It seems unlikely to me that they would want t spend to retrofit this feature into their pre-paid systems when they already offer it on their post-paid systems and would prefer everyone migrate there anyway.  Just my personal thoughts, with zero inside information, but to me it seems like they would want more time to pass before spending more on the prepaid self serve system.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

"Even if Telus were to decide to implement that is already in their possession so that Public Mobile customers could use it, they would need to overhaul the Self Serve system again."

@srlawren 

That wouldn't be bad thing? Would it?

@srlawren wrote:

@Nezgar in the context of using Call Control at Koodo or Telus, this would be completely unnecessary, and as @computergeek541 points out, would send ALL of your unanswered calls to nowhere.  

Right, your phone wouldn't even ring in the first place in that case unless someone got past call control.

@srlawren wrote:

@Nezgar wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

In your particular case, you would put the number that is leaving you the nuisance voicemails on your blocked list, and they would be intercepted by the feature at the network level and not sent to your voicemail box. 

In addition, setting the busy/declined conditional call forward to something other than voicemail (ie 0000000000 or 3063370005) will guarantee that a caller on the block list never reaches your voicemail.

@Nezgar in the context of using Call Control at Koodo or Telus, this would be completely unnecessary, and as @computergeek541 points out, would send ALL of your unanswered calls to nowhere.  

Even if Telus were to decide to implement that is already in their possession so that Public Mobile customers could use it, they would need to overhaul the Self Serve system again.

srlawren

@Nezgar wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

In your particular case, you would put the number that is leaving you the nuisance voicemails on your blocked list, and they would be intercepted by the feature at the network level and not sent to your voicemail box. 

In addition, setting the busy/declined conditional call forward to something other than voicemail (ie 0000000000 or 3063370005) will guarantee that a caller on the block list never reaches your voicemail.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Yes, but that can cause calls that you simply do not wish to answer at that moment to going to nothingness.  

Right -- that's a good point I forgot to mention, is with this setup don't manually "decline" calls you still want to go to voicemail, just ignore the call or press the volume up/down buttons to silence the ringer to let the call go to voicemail after 30 seconds of no answer. 🙂

@Nezgar wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BarnDamage wrote:

I've been receiving spam calls from a specific number, I blocked the number but, they can still leave me voice mails, how do I stop this without changing my phone number?

Search your phone's app store for options. There are several options to do this, but it involves using the app to answer the call and then automatically hang up on the other person. Be careful with this though because misuse of the app will cause you to hang up on people who didn't mean to.  These apps do keep lists for which phone numbes to give this treatment. These types of apps will only work if you disable the stock phone blocking of that number because you need to allow the app that you use to answer the call (and hang up on them).  This method has the advantage of still allowing people not in the app's "bad list" to stll leave you voice messages.

Setting the busy/declined conditional call forward to something other than voicemail (ie 0000000000 or 3063370005) will guarantee that a caller on the block list never reaches your voicemail -- no app required.

Yes, but that can cause calls that you simply do not wish to answer at that moment to going to nothingness.  

@computergeek541 wrote:

@BarnDamage wrote:

Search your phone's app store for options. There are several options to do this, but it involves using the app to answer the call and then automatically hang up on the other person. Be careful with this though because misuse of the app will cause you to hang up on people who didn't mean to.  These apps do keep lists for which phone numbes to give this treatment. These types of apps will only work if you disable the stock phone blocking of that number because you need to allow the app that you use to answer the call (and hang up on them).  This method has the advantage of still allowing people not in the app's "bad list" to stll leave you voice messages.

Setting the busy/declined conditional call forward (*67) to something other than voicemail (ie 0000000000 or 3063370005) will guarantee that a caller on the block list never reaches your voicemail -- no app required.

@BarnDamage wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

srlawren

@BarnDamage  Another possible solution--while probably not what you want to hear--is to move to a post-paid account at either Koodo or Telus (where you'll enjoy the same great network as PM, since Telus owns and operates both) as well as have access to Call Control at no extra charge.  Here's my recent thoughts on how it works and why it's so effective: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Canadian-Privacy-Laws-being-broken/m-p/86...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BarnDamage 

It depends on the callers motivation. The link left by @hTideGnow  referring to a post by

@Nezgar  will give you options if you want to actively participate in discouraging the spam caller. Lenny can help too!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nightmare/m...

Any of them will catch up to you eventually. I get the recordings from "Fedex", "DHL", and some chinese speaking thing. I rarely get voicemails though.

@hTideGnow wrote:

Hi @BarnDamage 

check this steps by @Nezgar to manually redirect rejected calls

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Blocked-Callers-Able-to-leave-voicemail/m...

And with number change.  if it is someone who aim this at you and know your number,  the  it will help.  If it is random spam calls, then there is really no way to avoid

Good concept but, legit calls will be routed the same way.  

Hi @BarnDamage 

check this steps by @Nezgar to manually redirect rejected calls

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Blocked-Callers-Able-to-leave-voicemail/m...

And with number change.  if it is someone who aim this at you and know your number,  the  it will help.  If it is random spam calls, then there is really no way to avoid

@BarnDamage wrote:

@hTideGnow do you know if it would stop if I changed my phone number 

Avoiding spam is a whack a mole game that you can't win. It is not like spammers target one particular phone number, all phones numbers represent equal opportunity.  Unfortunately growing thick skin to this stuff is the only solution that preserves the sanity.  

BarnDamage
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@hTideGnow do you know if it would stop if I changed my phone number 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @BarnDamage you cannot block particular number for leaving VM..sorry

Need Help? Let's chat.