cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Add on US data while in the US and phone is in airplane mode.

Cici1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are already in the US and now want data for GPS maps. We have our phones on airplane mode so we don't get charged with texting and phone calls from Canada. I have not tried to add on yet as I forgot my password and am locked out right now. But ... with my phone on airplane mode I don't have access to selecting mobile data. What will happen if I take it off airplane mode? Can I safely add a us roaming plan when I am already in the USA? Is there any other issues I may have trying to do this? I am not technically inclined. Thx!

8 REPLIES 8

Cici1

Thank you. Yes I saw text come in and got nervous. Glad you mentioned that. Thx.

Cici1

Thank you for responding. Off airplane mode and getting text messages so hope that doesn't mean anything. Assume I just can't send them. Thx agsin

Cici1

Thank you for your response. I appreciate knowing my phone isn't roaming by default.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Cici1 wrote:

We are already in the US and now want data for GPS maps. We have our phones on airplane mode so we don't get charged with texting and phone calls from Canada. I have not tried to add on yet as I forgot my password and am locked out right now. But ... with my phone on airplane mode I don't have access to selecting mobile data. What will happen if I take it off airplane mode? Can I safely add a us roaming plan when I am already in the USA? Is there any other issues I may have trying to do this? I am not technically inclined. Thx!

Hello @Cici1 

Turning your airplane mode OFF while outside Canada will not incur any charges, if you did not purchase any Roaming Addons to use in the USA.

You will not be charged for anything you do not have services for outside of Canada, texting, calling, data usage...which you need a Roaming Addon to use any of these services anyhow.

WIFI areas are usable regardless if your airplane mode is on or off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cici1 

How To Purchase Add-Ons Through Self Serve

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races.

and here you have to resetting your password Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,and Explain your issue 
they can solve your issue, they are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Submit a Ticket 

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
     Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cici1 : No extra charges here. You can receive texts too. You could have wifi on while in airplane mode.

You could use wifi and a VoIP app like TextNow also.

You can use 611 or 18554public to buy add-ons. If you have a pre-registered payment card then you'll need your 4 digit PIN. Or use a voucher online or have a friend get one and tell you the voucher PIN.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@Cici1  you don't have the mobile plan purchased yet, so putting your phone off airplane mode will allow you to use Wifi but still not data.

you can use your phone to use Wifi or use a computer to to go My Account and purchase the add-ons

First thing, reset the My Account password.  Use the Forgot Password link or you have to contact PM to have it unlock (using Chatbot to open ticket)

Once you get the account unlocked, you can go into My Account and do this

1. Load enough fund for the add on you want to purchase.  

2. Once the payment went through, you can not go to Add-on section to buy Roaming data

3. once purchased, reboot your phone,   Then enable roaming data and you might want to manually select network, use either T-Mobile or AT&T and see which one works best

But honest, I think it might be easier and cheaper to get a local SIM.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

If you have access to wifi then turn off airplane mode and enable wifi to purchase an add-on which expire 10 days after purchase.  You will need to log into your account to add funds and add the add-on.

Need Help? Let's chat.