cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off mobile data by app on a Samsung Galaxy S8

schultzter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good morning

My son inherited my Samsung Galaxy S8 and I have him on the $15  plan that includes 250MB of data. I want to turn off mobile data on all the games he plays but not on the parental supervision app.

I can turn off background data but as soon as he starts the game it isn't background anymore! I only want the games to use data on Wi-Fi.

Any idea how to do that?

My daughter's phone has the option, but she has Lineage on her phone so it isn't the same. I believe the S8 runs Android 9 and the North American version does not allow alternative firmware.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@pkaraa wrote:

Not specifically for S8 but works on androids

account settings.

parental supervision apps

enable data while using app.

Hmmmm.... Cannot find those settings on Moto E4. Every search for 'account' sends me to annoying Google account. Google is everywhere... at least I do not use it as search engine.

schultzter

That looks interesting! Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not specifically for S8 but works on androids

account settings.

parental supervision apps

enable data while using app.

for rest .. use wifi only. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@schultzter 

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

@schultzter  Also, on the Quick Panel, you might be able to add the Mobile Data Toggle button there for easy access.  (but some carriers block this on its firmware build)

Meow
Mayor / Maire

I do not think you can turn data usage per app on Android. It is all or nothing. Maybe 3rd party app exist to handle that?

As for putting different firmware you would have to explore/learn about rooting your phone which might be successful or it might brick your phone... 😞

softech
Oracle
Oracle

check this. setup ,  Connection,  Data Usage,  then togglr Mobile Data 

EricPellerin

I believe you should try an application such as "Netguard-no root firewall" available on the Playstore. 

This application has the advantage of being able to choose which applications can use mobile data and which ones can use only WIFI. Just tick these apps and you're done. 

So you might not limit internet access to your parental controls and make sure that all other apps(his games) require a WIFI connection.

Screenshot_20211002-101340_Google Play Store.jpg

Need Help? Let's chat.