cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I transfer my old phone number?

Duatyn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone know how I transfer my existing Koodo phone number when the My Account Public Mobile service isn't working? I just tried signing up with a new Public Mobile sim card, but I don't want to put it in my phone yet until I get all the account details set up and verified. What's interesting is all the payment info was accepted and processed, but I need help transferring my old number.

Right now I don't know what my new temporary Public Mobile number is (thought this would have been emailed to me when it was selected automatically during sign up?) and this is required information in order to receive help.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed?

PS: My name is DUSTYN. Not what the post name says. Can't seem to change it.

15 REPLIES 15

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn   Thanks for updating your thread and good to hear CSA's managed to port over your number fairly quickly.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn 

Thanks for sharing....I've never heard of it taking that long to reinitiate a port request of a mobile number? Which as you discovered wasn't the case.

Duatyn

Oh it was the support agent / CS_Agent: "Gaby"

Hi Dustyn!

Thank you so much for all the information provided! It is more than enough to submit the port request for you, no worries.

I have just checked with our port department and we found an error with the first port request submitted today. They have created a ticket that usually takes 24-72H.

Please keep the Koodo sim card in the phone until you receive the text message to confirm the port, then please reply yes within 90 min and then the port will complete within minutes.

I apologize for the fact that it requires a ticket and we appreciate your patience!

Gaby

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn 

That's great to hear! I'm curious though....who told you it would take 24 to 72hrs to have access to your koodo number?

Duatyn

Thank you kindly Meow! 🙂

Great news!

I'm up and running on Public Mobile now with my original Koodo number!

Here I was thinking I would probably be waiting at least 24-72hrs

Also managed to snag that 15GB for $40 plan that came out around Halloween? This was the primary reason I wanted to switch from Koodo. Can't find anything else like that on other carriers. So very happy it was still being offered on Public Mobiles website. Even if this offer wasn't available, Public Mobile offers other good plans.

Thank you again to everyone here who guided me in the right direction to achieving a satisfying resolution!

🍻💖😍👍

~Dustyn~

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Thank you @Duatyn  for feedback. Not many customers provide one. Most people just ask a question and then they disappear with no clue provided if issue was resolved or not.

PM has few gremlins lurking about but overall experience is very positive. Community support is second to none and agents are doing fantastic job considering how many inquiries they receive. But that is just my humble experience.

Welcome aboard!

Duatyn

Just to let everyone here know, a CS_Agent has been working with me and there was a problem with the activation and the port request that I did myself. So it's now been corrected and the request resubmitted. I "should" have access to my existing number on Public Mobile in 24-72 hours.

Thanks to all the very friendly and helpful people here who have guided me throughout this ordeal. 👍 I suppose on any other day I had decided to join Public Mobile, things would have been pretty seamless if the site was working correctly?

I will post back an update when I am actually up and running. 💖

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn 

Postpaid makes things easier and your bill will be prorated. Once you know your pm Sim card has all of its services working (if not get the CSA to provision your pm Sim card to your account)you can get the CSA to put in your port request. Make sure you have your koodo Sim card back in your phone to reply YES to the PAT (porting authorization text) within 90 minutes of receiving it. Your port will likely complete within minutes and your koodo Sim card will stop working and your koodo account will be automatically canceled. Put your pm Sim card in your phone and reboot. Welcome to Public Mobile!

Duatyn

Hi!

It's a Koodo monthly plan (not pre-paid).

I'm also in touch with CSR.

Any help provided is greatly appreciated! ✌🏻

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn 

Are you porting from koodo prepaid or postpaid?

If you have not requested porting at activation remove your koodo Sim card and put your pm Sim card in your phone and check that all of your services are working.

Send yourself a text message or call your koodo phone number to find out your phone number.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn   Is the Koodo number prepaid or postpaid?  If prepaid, then customer support will need to be involved, but postpaid numbers can usually be transferred by logging into the account yourself and choosing Change Number/Transfer option from Profile page and following prompts.  Obviously, you cannot do that for now. 

Keep the Koodo SIM in your phone until you're able to respond to the transfer request.  I'll private message the Telus porting # number you can call and they will ask Koodo to submit the port request text and you need to answer with YES within 90 minutes.  Check your message box top right, however, this is only to be called if your number is postpaid. edit: otherwise wait for a response from CSA's.

Duatyn

Thank you for the reply!

I guess I'll leave the community account name thing alone then.

The whole number porting thing I can't do efficiently as I would have to swap sims around. I haven't tried using the new Public Mobile sim in my phone yet as the site says not to switch out the old sim if you are porting your number. I guess I could try swapping it to find out what my new number is? My existing service is still active, but I don't know how, when or if it will be cancelled as I thought Public Mobile is supposed to take care of this once the number is ported automatically?

I'm attempting to contact CSA directly now. 👍🏻

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Do not worry about name, it does not matter, that is your ID at Community and I do not think anybody can change it.

You would need to open new Community account but I would not bother.

For number porting while web site is not working properly you could try asking agent but I would be very cautious as maybe something else is not working as expected and it might create even more headache for you later.

Nevertheless, try agent see what they have to say. Just bad timing for you regarding number porting...

Mind you, both accounts have to be active

As for your temp PM number, just call somebody and see what number appears on display.

To Contact CSA-agent; there are 2 methods:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If ticketing does not work very first time, contact agent directly.

- Send a private message to the CSA - agent by clicking Here

Duatyn

Thank you kindly.

Just stressed out by all this as I got charged for the activation, but I can't complete the number transfer.

I have sent them a message.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Duatyn   You can send a private message to CS_Agent for assistance here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

You may have bit of a wait hearing back from CSA's since they're more than likely being inundated with messages for assistance because of the system outage.

Need Help? Let's chat.