cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I cancel my plan with Public Mobile?

cijunliu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I signed up with public mobile today and I cancelled my plan. Will I be able to get a refund if I just signed up today?

24 REPLIES 24

@7373 wrote:

Remove automatic payment 

Yes, this is the usual way.  But OP situation is a bit more interesting she joined and leave on the same day (at least she mentioned she want to leave, wonder if she ends up staying or left)

Remove automatic payment 

@cijunliu   did you actually cancelled the account with PM? or you are staying ?

if you got it cancelled, you got the full money back ?

cijunliu

I have resolved the issue, thanks all for your help

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Of course, this new user to PM hasn't said why they want to cancel so soon, we can only guess based on their other post (of 2 posts total) what is going on with them.

Lorca

Hi @cijunliu, If you’ve ported your number to Public and want to keep it don’t forget to re-port to the provider you prefer. Send a message to a Public mobile employee through the chat bubble on the bottom of this page asking if it’s possible to get a refund. Watch for your answer in the little envelope at the top right. 

AngieD

Just don't pay.  Public Mobile will cancel automatically.  (Make sure your account is not on auto-pay...if it is, change it in your account)

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/period.htm

this might not apply to PM.. this is the trick

If you have a contract with an early cancellation fee, you have a trial period.

No contract here.. no early cancellation fee

@cijunliu 

Just to reiterate....the answer is NO. Pm like all prepaid providers have a no refund policy. They can choose to give you a refund but they are not obligated to do so....nor do they have any reason to give you one. The fulfilled their end of the contract. You activated your sim card. Pm provisioned it to your account and gave you full working services. A few hours later because you didn't see the promotions appear in your account and you were not patient enough to allow pm to add them within the terms and conditions of the promotion you want to cancel and get a refund. I'm sorry but prepaid service does not work like postpaid service you are not entitled to a refund nor do you deserve one.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@cijunliu wrote:

I signed up with public mobile today and I cancelled my plan. Will I be able to get a refund if I just signed up today?

@cijunliu  PM is postpaid service and there is really no way to cancel your plan like a postpaid.  Usually people just let it expires due to non-payment and 90 days later the account will be closed

did you stop the number porting by replying NO to the text and let your old number stays with the old provider and never cancel the old provider's service?    If that is the case, you still have not cancel PM service yet.   Your PM service will still work  (Try it with your PM SIM in a phone and see if you can dial out.  Also, try logging into My Account and confirm if it shows Status Active)

PM is a prepaid service and technically no refund.  But if you cancelled your porting and decided to Cancel the service within the same day (or day 2 now, I believe), open a ticket with PM and see if they can do anything:

Spoiler

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Hi, if you stop paying or remove autopay service will be canceled but if change your mind in 3 months you can re activate the plan by topping up your account 

bluejaywpg

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

The question is...how do you cancel your Account the same day you set it up?

Wouldn't you complete the process and then port out? Thus close your account. 

Not the exact question asked in the OP, but given the nature of cell services (in that there is a phone number tied to the service which can be ported to any other phone provider), it depends if the person cancelling is willing to give up the phone # assigned to the account. If they got a new # & just want to cancel like nothing ever happened, then it's easy. Either let it lapse (make sure autopay is disabled & cc info is deleted) or talk to PM (mods...?). If they want to keep their phone #, I guess they would have to port it to a new provider & then request a refund after the fact...?

In other words, it's not really different from ending your service like you normally would, is it? The only difference is that as a brand new customer, they may be entitled to a refund, whereas a longtime customer might not (presumably) if they wanted to end their service on the day their card was charged for another month of service, or if they ported their phone # right after the monthly charge went through.

Funny thing - when I ported my wife's phone from Rogers (a monthly prepaid account) to PM, they did apply a credit to her Rogers account for something like $3. So I guess if we ever by some chance switch her back to Rogers in the future, we might get a tiny "discount" LOL.

bluejaywpg

Most provinces, if not all, mandate the ability to get a refund right after purchasing goods or services. There are exceptions, of course. You obviously can't return a product that was used / worn / broken unless that product was like that out of the box, unless the store is still willing to do so (like Costco from what I have heard).

But in this case, we're talking a pure service. A federally-regulated (ha!) service, at that. And someone shared a link that contains this text that suggests you may be entitled to a refund, assuming a prepaid service qualifies as a "contract" (which it technically still is):

"Now, under the rules of the Wireless Code, you can cancel your contract and return your phone if you’re not happy with it. And you can do this at no cost, within 15 days of your purchase, if you haven’t used more than half of the monthly data specified in your plan.

If you are a person with a disability, you have an extended trial period lasting a full month. It includes 100% of the monthly usage limits specified in your contract.

Talk to your service provider."

Use the chat box in the bottom right or PM 1 of the moderators...?

The question is...how do you cancel your Account the same day you set it up?

Wouldn't you complete the process and then port out? Thus close your account. 

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

First time I have seen that someone is asking for same day cancellation of service.

Dont know whats PM rules for that but connect with support agents to know more.

Normally there is no refund policy at PM prepaid service so you can cancel autopay and let it run into deactivation after 90 days.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cijunliu 

I am surprised that you are canceling with PM without even trying out the service.

Did you get the problem solved with your activation?

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@cijunliu  Hi just cancel Auto Pay and that’s it.  If you want to keep your number go to a Carrier of your choice and port your number out to them you will need to give you a new carrier or account number from public mobile. To access your your account number please go to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/  your account number will be in near the top right corner once you login write this number down or take a screenshot.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The decisions of some people make little sense...

@cijunliu 

No. Why wouldn't you stay and gets your money's worth? Unless you ported out already you haven't cancelled anything yet. At least stick around to get your free month credit and your bonus referral credit and your autopay rewards. Why would you waste $86 worth of services?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@cijunliu   you just activated today and you are leaving?

your last post was asking about 2GB Bonus, this is normal, you won't see it until 2 or 3 days

And , I believe you requested port in of your number as you said you didn't receive incoming calls.  This is normal before the number arrived in PM. 

are you leaving because you are not happy with the 2 issues above?  then let me tell you, they are normal procedures and not PM's fault

Do you know where the number now?  If it is with PM already, you will have to port it back out first or you will lost your number

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@cijunliu wrote:

@cijunliu  you cancelled 'which plan' the public mobile one you just activated? I don't think you can do that without porting it back out again...is that what you did?

If you activated public mobile SIM and were charged, there is no refund here, as this is a prepaid service.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Depends on what buyers remorse policy is in place for your province.  

Need Help? Let's chat.