cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Internet service?

Angelic_Fille90
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well. (It's been a few years since I've used the website.)

I have one question to ask.

Does Public Mobile still have data internet service only? No home internet option?

18 REPLIES 18

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Namu wrote:

What a great form this is. I am learning so many new things! I'm so happy I joined public mobile other community forums for mobile phones don't have all this kind of different information available.

Agree.  The members on this community forum are knowledgeable in hardware and software related to mobile data.

Welcome to PM.

Namu

What a great form this is. I am learning so many new things! I'm so happy I joined public mobile other community forums for mobile phones don't have all this kind of different information available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@barrascuk : I have both. The phone thing they call Wireless Home Phone. My SmartHub is no longer active. It's also a ZTE. Yes, data via wifi or ethernet and talk out of the phone jacks.

barrascuk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 : You can also use the Telus SmartHub with the PM SIM in it and do calls with a wired phone and data via its wifi.

@Anonymous Not sure if you are using the correct terminology. I just bought a ZTE cell to land line phone set adapter. And from what I understood that ZTE also makes a SmartHub that takes a SIM card as well but it is for internet service (data) only. Or is the smart hub capable of both??

Different model numbers and the SmartHub on the second hand market is higher priced than the cell to land line phone set adapter.. 

I just bought one of these. 

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 

why you getting that Smart Hub device, is too expensive, and has a data limited....

in market have to many provider for 50% off for home internet service,,

and they has a data is Unlimited. where you live which city !

I'm not gonna get it if its THAT expensive and will have limits.

P.S. I live in QC.

By putting the SIM into the smart hub instead of into the phone you are still accessing the same data bucket on the account that is linked to your SIM. 

If you are tethering off your phone as suggested by esjliv you are using your phone as a router, using the data in your phone account. The smart hub only replaces the phone in terms of hardware, your data allowance is still the same.

If you are looking for a cheap unlimited wired home internet connection you'll have to find another (specific?) provider. (not sure how may oxymorons there are in this sentence though...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 : The device does not have limited data. The data bucket is limited by the cell service.

Angelic_Fille90

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 

why you getting that Smart Hub device, is too expensive, and has a data limited....

I'm not gonna get it if its THAT expensive and will have limits.

P.S. I live in QC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 

Angelic_Fille90

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 : That's about exactly what it is. It just doesn't use the phone line or coax cable or fibre. (Edit: or satellite) It uses cell.

Nope...just insert the SIM.

Oh.

It uses just the SIM CARD? O.O

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 : That's about exactly what it is. It just doesn't use the phone line or coax cable or fibre. (Edit: or satellite) It uses cell.

Nope...just insert the SIM.

Angelic_Fille90

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 : Have you been with Public Mobile all this time? If yes...then spoiler or boycott alert...you're with Telus. 🙂

The box uses the cell system with a SIM. It has phone jacks to connect a wired phone (or cordless base). It has an ethernet jack for local network. It has wifi for wireless network. Simply insert the PM SIM in and the talk and data work. No texting.

I seem to think Hell has something similar out east. Maybe even Robbers. But not sure. I'm out here in the real west in BC...not the wannabe Texas-style AB. 🙂

Basically its like a router almost.

Do I have to contact PM or Telus to have it setup?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 : Have you been with Public Mobile all this time? If yes...then spoiler or boycott alert...you're with Telus. 🙂

The box uses the cell system with a SIM. It has phone jacks to connect a wired phone (or cordless base). It has an ethernet jack for local network. It has wifi for wireless network. Simply insert the PM SIM in and the talk and data work. No texting.

I seem to think Hell has something similar out east. Maybe even Robbers. But not sure. I'm out here in the real west in BC...not the wannabe Texas-style AB. 🙂

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Angelic_Fille90 : You can also use the Telus SmartHub with the PM SIM in it and do calls with a wired phone and data via its wifi.

How does THAT work?

P.S. NEVER used Telus service before.

Find a Telus smart hub on the used market of your choice, plug the PM SIM with a data plan into it.

z10user4 might have more first hand experience for specifics on set-up. But as long as your LTE hub is unlocked or locked to TELUS., you should be good to go.

Here is more info about the Smart Hub 

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/smart-hub

Angelic_Fille90

@Anonymous wrote:

How does THAT work?

P.S. NEVER used Telus service before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Angelic_Fille90 

they have a plan with data and call and text,, but No home internet option...

Anonymous
Not applicable

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Angelic_Fille90 wrote:

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well. (It's been a few years since I've used the website.)

I have one question to ask.

Does Public Mobile still have data internet service only? No home internet option?

@Angelic_Fille90 

Correct.

Only Data available with PM; no home internet option.

EDIT: but you can hotspot your data to other devices that allow it.

Need Help? Let's chat.