cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I've just activated a $25 per month public Mobile plan and I still have no data

SCFurlong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated my $25 per month public Mobile plan last night at around 9 a.m. . Before I went to bed, my phone was sending and receiving SMS and I was able to call and take calls. As of 12 p.m. today I am still unable to send MMS messages and I do not have any data. I tried everything that I could find in the community to no avail. I've confirmed on my account that there is 3 GB of data remaining, I've triple checked my APN settings, I've reset my network settings and I restarted my phone more times than I can count. My phone is an LG G4, admittedly old but it used to work on the public mobile network and I'm currently waiting for delivery of my rugged phone.

I recall having the same issue when I initially set up this phone a couple of years ago. At that time, it involved somebody doing something inside the public mobile network and my issue was fixed. I guess I'm looking for that help again.

Thanks in advance

49 REPLIES 49

@SCFurlong 

Wow a great review so far.....a couple of questions.....

1. Where did you order/buy it from?
  2. Price and model #?
  3. Warranty and is it only honoured with the original owner?
  4. Can you order parts or get it repaired if you are not the original owner?

Thank you....when you have time to answer.

SCFurlong

This is a little early since it's only been one day with my new Ulefone armor 12 5G but I'm already impressed with the phone. I finished a rigorous day of taking photos with and without the Flash, messaging and texting people, making phone calls and internet browsing as well as fumble with it to tweak a few settings and here's my first days take away with this phone. I think it's a really good phone for the price. The battery currently sits at 78%, it has some weight to it but it really feels like a quality piece. If it didn't have you'll fall in wrote on it you would think it was made by Samsung. I was worried about screen resolution and camera quality but I'm not now. I take a lot of photos for work and zoom in a lot to capture detail portions of the photos and this phone's camera is excellent. The screen resolution is perfectly fine for me and to be honest with you I don't even notice the lower refresh rate. I don't game with my phone so tell me the screen resolution doesn't get any better. It is a raw version of Android 11 and it works great. The phone came with a screen protector already applied and an extra screen protector in the box. The exterior speakers are extremely loud and I can use the built-in FM radio instead of my jobsite radio. The ringer and notification sounds can be turned up extremely loud so you can hear it in a loud work environment. I love the fact that the power button has to be touched on the side to wake the phone up instead of a double tap to the screen. My previous Galaxy a71 will always come on when I was fumbling to move the phone. So far the only complaint is that there is a adapter to plug in headphones but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Any worries I initially had about this phone before its arrival have now been washed away. The coming weeks will be interesting. I figure I'm going to drop this phone at least a dozen times so let's see how it holds up.

@SCFurlong 

Thanks for the update. So far so good....no problems setting it up which is often an issue. I will look forward to your review!

SCFurlong

I'll probably do a review of the phone this weekend and another probably a couple of months down the road. After the next few days I'll know if it's going to work for me as I use the phone for work; the battery life, cameras and processor speed are kind of important to me. The rugged portion may take a little longer to review.

SCFurlong

My rugged phone arrived a week early. I installed the SIM card after fully charging the phone and everything just worked. It's a ulefone armored 12 5G and to my disbelief, the phone seems to be great and everything public Mobile is working. I never had to change one thing. I got SMS & MMS working, incoming/outgoing phone calls, data, everything all good so far.

If I have any trouble, the community will be the first to know. Thanks for your help!

@SCFurlong 

I have had that tethered mobile internet setting automatically set up on another phone which worked (I believe it's for hotspotting?) Regardless you are up and running now. 

When your new phone arrives make sure you get it updated to the latest versions of software before you put your sim card in it. If you do have any issues setting up the phone come back here and we will help you out.

I will be interested to know what you think of your new rugged phone. The camera, performance, audio etc.....and most importantly how rugged it really is....? The bf has the Sonim XP-8 and sadly has not passed the bf test. He managed to smash the screen and is slowly starting fail. Not being the original owner is making a repair almost impossible. So I would love a review when you have time and over time if you don't mind? thx

SCFurlong

The only difference with the third factory reset is I specified that Google not restore my previous apps. I installed my apps manually after. One other thing I noticed, after the third factory reset, there was another APN setting in my phone. Not the public mobile APN I put there but another one named 'tethered mobile internet'. While it is not selected as the APN I'm using it did give me some sort of an indication that perhaps on the first 2 factory resets, all of the data may have not been downloaded. Otherwise, why wouldn't the APN setting show up on the first factory reset? Not sure but I know one thing, I am not tech-savvy and most of you guys are and without your help, I wouldn't have gotten the thing going again. Phone is working perfect this morning and I'm still scratching my head over why it didn't work the first time.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

google for phone specific procedure for low level format. 

yes it requires a complete new setup which is probably better than 3 times factory reset. right?

@pkaraa   how to do a low level format?   and  what is the advantage for doing this? 

After low level format, we still have to setup the phone like first time using the phone?  So, the idea to to remove the data path and put it back later, the data that got saved are only pictures or some app settings?  We still have to install and setup all other apps after/

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Glad it is fixed. 

3 times factory reset is a bit too much.

A Low level format is recommended as performing a factory reset on an Android device simply removes the path to the data, making the device appear empty; however the data is actually still there. 

@SCFurlong   Glad it work. 

LG is not known to have issue when change provider and network reset or factory reset are needed sometimes.  But 3 times, that a bit extreme. . 

I  am thinking maybe you have allowed the backup to come down and restored on the phone in the first 2 times?  If so, it could be something setting got downloaded from the previous backup and caused the issue.  With the 3rd time, maybe  you have not restored from backup ?  honest, can't really tell why  🙂

SCFurlong

I did initially do a factory reset but believe it or not, it wasn't until the third factory reset got the phone started working properly. Ultimately you factory reset was the solution.

SCFurlong

Thank you all so much for your prompt responses to my query. I tried all of your suggestions and even tried them again but the APN settings I had we're correct, network settings were correct and I did have my data turned on. Ultimately I did three factory reset on my LG G4 before data started working. Why did I do it three times? I have no idea but my phone would not update even over WiFi so I felt something was really wrong. I did a third factory reset and the updates rolled in and installed without any issues over Wi-Fi. Just moments ago the phone updated and all is working perfectly. LTE is now showing next to my cell phone bars and my data is working great.

I hope I don't have any trouble connecting my ulefone armor 12 when it arrives in three or four weeks.

Again, thank you all so much for your assistance.

Angelaunrau2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@darlicious Hmm. Maybe not the best choice in article then. 

I would suggest Googling LG and public mobile data settings. You should be able to go into your data setting and check everything over and make sure that the settings are turned on and correct. 

@Angelaunrau2 

That link had promise but unfortunately it just takes you in a never ending circle.😃

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

In my case I had to wait a few hours after activation for the data to start working.  It was constantly at data out of service.  Also make sure your APNs are set correctly since it may default to the Telus one.  I had to choose the PM one and verify the configuration

Angelaunrau2

https://thecellguide.com/lg-device-select

Should help you I assisting to figure out your problem

Angelaunrau2

I would like to add that there is data settings that need to be changed on a LG-g3 / lg-g4.

With having alot of experience with those phones it is complicated to find the right data settings if you don't know how to 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous you're doing it again!  Nothing you listed is required here.  As has been stated many many times already in the thread, this is a known issue with certain LG models such as the G4 when changing providers, and can only be resolved by either a network reset (easy to try but rarely resolves) or factory reset.  Please stop pasting in your generic "re-seat the sim and then contact the support team for help" message over and over without understanding the problem.  This is beyond frustrating.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SCFurlong : None of the above is relevant to you or you've already done and reported back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SCFurlong 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your Data is on.

or can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone 

This is quick and simple,

and if still not fix it you Have To Submit a Ticket To Contact Customer Support Agent by  ,

Explain your issue to they can solve your issue, they are nice service Team the will help you 100%.

Here’s How To Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, and Submit a Ticket 

Spoiler
  • Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,Click Here link,to get started.

• or you can send a private message to Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, by Click Here link,
  • You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

• please include in your message,
  • your account number, 
  • your phone number,
  • your account 4 digit pin,
  • your Email address,

• Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent, will Response to your inbox by private message 
  • During business hours, we strive to answer customer messages swiftly. You will often get an answer within an hour. During peak periods, you may need to wait up to 48 hours.Customer Support Agents are available:
    • Monday to Sunday: 6 AM to 10 PM EST

Check your private message inbox (click on the envelope top right of your screen)

Good Luck..

@darlicious wrote:

@SCFurlong 

Did a moderator (now a CSA) text you a configuration file? Was it right after you activated? Has your LG 4 been used with a different provider since then?

@Anonymous 

Not directly but I didn't get an answer til much later......😁

@SCFurlong wrote:

Oh gosh, don't say that I ordered a ulefone Armor 12 as my rugged phone.

Ulefone Armor?  Someone had trouble trying to change the APN on a Armor 6, not allowing updating the APN and need a Freedom SIM to "unlock" it.  Hope you will have better luck with Armor 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@SCFurlong 

As previously mentioned older LG phones almost always need a factory reset.

.....after changing providers.

@Anonymous 

As previously mentioned....

@darlicious : I looked...nuh uh. 🙂 The only mention is that it's likely needed. Not why.

@Anonymous wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@SCFurlong 

@Anonymous 

As previously mentioned....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@SCFurlong 

@SCFurlong 

Lol....dont worry you should be fine but you may have to manually enter your APN on your new phone.

SCFurlong

I'll try that this evening

@SCFurlong 

Just make sure you back up your data first....maybe your new phone will arrive by the time you get  home!?😃

Need Help? Let's chat.