cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Friday holiday service

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
So today probably isn't the best day to be doing this, but I moved two more lines from WIND because my parents were complaining about the bad reception lately (it was fine before). They don't use data so this new $25 promo is just perfect and they still have the option to add the 1G data if they need it. I did a direct port (not the safer active, then port) method and everything went smoothly. Port went fine without any problems. I didn't even have the problem using the same credit card as my other two lines.

It looks like PM has fixed some of these long standing issues. Just want to give credit to the PM tech team.

13 REPLIES 13

@echf oh I just read an announcement post from Dave 

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/An-update-from-Dave-what-we-ve-been-up-to/...

Apparently they have updated port process so the older bugs have possibly been fixed

@echf the actual porting itself is fairly reliable (to transfer the number from old carrier to Public)

The main issue is in assigning the number (or any number if you choose a new Public number)

The system really falls apart during the phase where number will be assigned

I am very skeptical the system is identical to Koodo (Koodo seems more reliable here, and Koodo also has some issues I have never seen/heard of on Public)

echf

@kav2001c wrote:

@echf no. There are numerous things to be cleaned up.

Their issues are far more severe than the slow loading website issues.

@echf wrote:

I believe PM's backend system is quite reliable, but not their frontend webpage.

Care to share more? I mean I still believe PM's porting system is reliable backend, there is no evidence showing PM's porting system is the reason causing porting issues. I guess PM share the same porting system with Koodo (Just speculation, since PM can port Koodo number in seconds). If Koodo doesn't have problem with their large userbase, I bet PM is going to be okay. Problem happened usally because human mistake. 

Of course their self service portal is pretty buggy, and their subsystem like billing system. Always some mysterious bugs and very outdated user interface. They should rewrite it completely! 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
I don't think it's a sign of anything, necessarily, as other people are still having issues on sign up. During the 4gb promo I ported both of my lines over during activation with no problem, as did my 10 or so referrals. But the issues still existed then.

Jonavin

@echf Good points about the user feedback and validation. I think it was easy for me because it's not my fourth or fifth time activating an account, so I knew exactly whta to expect. One line ported over in minutes, while the other took several hours. Both are normal in my experience going between any two carriers, and there's no real explanation for it. The line that had an actuve tab attached actually was faster. 

I think a bit more feedback to the user would avoid a lot of request for support. That said, I do agree with @kav2001c that there are some fundamental issues on the backend that ends to be address. Things like future dated plan changes and use of same credit card for multiple accounts. Heck, the whole idea that you need a new email for each account.

@echf no. There are numerous things to be cleaned up.

Their issues are far more severe than the slow loading website issues.

@echf wrote:

I believe PM's backend system is quite reliable, but not their frontend webpage.

echf

I suspect some browser and the cache just cause problem. They should update their website with some morden website technology. 

AND, human mistake is quite common. You don't know you made a mistake untill the porting failed. Some people type one more character here and one less character there. 

I suggest PM should add more foolproof design in their next verison activation system.

1. A confirmation page after the user enter the information.

2. Let user choose their previous carrier, prompt notification when user enter uncommon information (for example, Fido account number is 9 digit but user enter 8 digit).

I think they can add those feature in their next verison activation system

1. Provide estimated porting time

2. Provide APN setup instruction and troubleshooting

3. Direct them to the community

4. Send a email when the porting is taking longer then usual

Public Mobile can do so much more. It can really avoid many bad reputation and unhappy customer

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

There is no such thing as a bad day for leaving Wind/Freedom.  Doing the one step port involves a small amount of risk taking.  Honesty as buggy as the system may appear to be, it probably works 99% of the time.  Tell your folks, welcome aboard.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
Thanks for the info. Good to see that there is something behind the frequent maintenance ops.

@Jonavin wrote:
It was Master Card.

Thanks for the info.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Jonavin
It was Master Card.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Jonavin Just an informal survey; which credit card did you use? Couple of customers just had problems using Visa.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Oh, the Winds had changed, then Freedom began to ring, before the Shaw

Alas, not to be

But don't worry, PM is the place to be

Need Help? Let's chat.