cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the phone number on the sim card back

DonS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

ok, this is a weird question, and I'm not even sure if this is the right sub-forum for it!

So when we order a SIM card, there is a phone number programmed into it, based on your location.

I got my card last year, and immediately changed the number by porting over my old one.

But lately, when I see that default number (such as signing up for an SMS based app like Signal or Allo... apps that try to grab my phone number from the card so they can set up service), I wish that I'd kept it.

Is it possible to get that number back, or was it sent to the trash bin when I ported my old number over?

9 REPLIES 9

DonS

Yes, I'm on Android and I haven't seen much reason to root for the last couple years.

Thanks for the help, I'll message the mods .

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@DonS, at this point I would recommend sending a message to @CS_Agent with your e-mail address and current phone number, explain the situation, and either:

1. Ask if it is possible to have your old temporary number reassigned to you (provided that it hasn't already been assigned to someone else). 

2. Ask them to perform a network reset/re-push/send to switch on your account as the phone number on your SIM card does not match your current phone number. This should refresh the phone number on your SIM card (which will correct the issue you're having). I've seen this work in the past when I had this issue a few years ago with another carrier.

Alternatively, if you have access to an unlocked iPhone or BlackBerry you can insert your SIM card into that and then edit the number on the SIM card to be correct. It is possible to do this on Android as well, but it requires your phone to be rooted which usually voids your warranty (and is not something I'd recommend).

DonS

@skmkenn  The original PM number is listed.

Perhaps the number wasn't there when the card was mailed, but it's the number I had the first day, before I ported.

It's stuck on my SIM card now, and following me around for 18 months. Kinda wish I'd kept it, it's a cool number.

skmkenn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

On your phone, open SettingsAbout Device > Status > SIM card status. At the bottom you'll see an entry labelled My phone number, is the entry correct or is it showing this other number that apps are picking up on?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The best way to determine the "assigned number" is to call it and if the phone rings, that is the assigned number.  As mentioned, the SIM card does have a phone number field that can be populated with a number.  The PM SIMs do not come with a hard coded number.  It is assigned by the network based on the account to which the SIM is activated and the phone number that is associated with the account.  That said, it is possible to edit a SIM and put a number in the number field different that the network assigned number.  To do that would require extraordinary effort using a SIM editing app.  I have done this kind of SIM editing back in the days I was with Wind Mobile.  Their network does not push a phone number properly and so my phone would always show unknown number.  I edit the SIM so that the phone reads the number off of the SIM. 

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

sim cards store phone numbers, but they do not come with one. Once a sim card is activated, it will be assigned the phone number in the account. You need to activate an account, in order for the SIM to work.

Once you sign up for an SMS app, it assumes that you keep that same phone number, not get a new one. So the phone number is actually stored in the app as well. So you need to go through the app settings to change your number

When you port over anything, the account is closed. If you used a temp number, and then ported over. The temp number is gone. 

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
The number on sim card is the serial number for the sim card it has nothing to do with your personal number you use this serial number when you activate your SIM or swap sim card.

DonS

It seems like there is a number hard-coded into the SIM card though, because apps still ask me to confirm that number, even though I ported the same day I received the card.

It's the same number that was printed on the SIM card envelope, and that number has survived a couple new phones, and a few factory refreshes, so it has to be saved on the SIM card.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@DonS, SIM cards do not have a phone number attached to them.  A number is assigned to the SIM card when A) you pick a new number, or B) you port over your existing phone number.  Not sure what phone number you are referencing.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.