cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G3 Networks Shutting Down in US - how about Canada?

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi. The only mobile phone I have was mainly purchased for travel in US commonwealth islands where a cellphone is necessary. In Toronto I find Public Mobile prices work for me because I pretty much use it on an 'as needed' basis. That said, I wonder how the shutting down of G3 mobile will affect me while traveling in the US and in Canada, and when will it happen? Any word from corporate Telus?

10 REPLIES 10

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes...... All prepaid account's on Telus network, Public Koodo even Telus prepaid operate on 3G  voice in Canada.

So it should be logical that LTE voice will be transitioned to all prepaid customers on Telus network.

🤞

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 : Yes, I'm well aware of the shutting down. I guess I could have been more clearer in my question. You said something about roaming would make use of VoLTE in the states. How do you come to know this?

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hope we can get VoLTE domestically sometime soon as well. Totally miss out on better small cell coverage indoors and in areas with new cell sites that don't have 3g gear on the voice side with PM .

@Anonymous 

I read this awhile back and here is the link to the ending of 3G in Canada:

https://northernbi.com/3g-sunset-update-for-us-and-canadian-network-carriers/ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BKNS27 : May I ask for some corroboration for that? I don't know so this would be good to know.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@cory_c 

Your phone will switch to roaming in 4G/LTE while you are in USA.

The 3G will end in Canada at the end of 2025.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cory_c 

Most phones sold in the last few years are already capably of LTE (4G), so even once 3G networks shut down in US (as they are going to soon), and then in Canada, your phone will likely still be able to roam on the newer 4G LTE networks that are already live here in North America.

A PM SIM does already allow one to use Telus' existing 4G (LTE) network, but currently only for data, and the the data speeds are throttled back. It remains to be seen whether PM will allow its customers to access the Telus LTE network for calls and texts as well, in the future.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @cory_c   I think it is still an unknown.

If it works depends if PM has a LTE VoLTE agreement with roaming.  

I saw people posted here and mentioned that Fido told their Prepaid customer that there will lost US Roaming once the 3G network shuts down there.   

Community manager replied that they will update us but so far no update.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@cory_c 

Public mobile will just have to keep up.

As for roaming in the USA, if your device is LTE compliant you should be fine connecting to AT&T or T-Mobile Networks.

Need Help? Let's chat.