cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found iPhone that's with Public Mobile, trying to find owner.

koen4224
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Someone in my local area found an iPhone 7/8Plus that is with Public Mobile, I'm trying to find the owner but it's clear this sim card is still in service so they haven't got a new one yet.

If I take it out, and get their number from my settings when I put it in my phone, can I message @CS_Agent providing their Public Mobile number to get details in order to return the device to them?

FB_IMG_1669598675284.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

golfball
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If it's currently enabled you can try asking Siri to call various family members that may be in the contacts.

Tsawwassen
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Maybe look at the phone book - at the very top it may show “my card” and that would be the owner. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Have you swapped out sim? Gotta be quick to call or txt the number. Once a swap is done the owner may get a message that it was swapped out to another device and jump to suspend account. If emergency info is there....is there an emergency contact number?

@koen4224 wrote:

That's a great idea. It is currently still in service, but the number may be on their icloud account. 

I think I know what you mean. Let’s hope they have the number registered for immesage or FaceTime on other Apple devices. 

koen4224

That's a great idea. It is currently still in service, but the number may be on their icloud account. 

koen4224

Telus won't have access to any accounts or backends to return it anyhow, I've been in before and they've discussed in depth how it used to be, and now they don't do anything aside from selling the actual SIM Cards. 

koen4224

I've been to Telus before and I've discussed their access to Public in depth for over 10 mins, they explained to me that in store they have no access to anything from Public aside from selling the physical SIM Cards. 

@CountyDownIeUk 

I support you for standing up for what feels right to you.

@HALIMACS wrote:

Personally,  @koen4224 , I would probably take it to a TELUS branded store.

They would be able to cross reference the SIM number to an account holder through back-end processes with Public Mobile.

It would likely be best that they arrange contact with the rightful owner, as opposed to you.

Just my two cents worth.

You would trust that option? Efficient? No commission? Integrity? 

I would trust the OP 100%. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Personally,  @koen4224 , I would probably take it to a TELUS branded store.

They would be able to cross reference the SIM number to an account holder through back-end processes with Public Mobile.

It would likely be best that they arrange contact with the rightful owner, as opposed to you.

Just my two cents worth.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

A CSA may be able to help, knowing the SIM card number and phone number.

Knowing xxx-xxx (-yyyy) can possibly help identify area in Canada of owner. 

If IMEI number is on back of phone or back side of SIM card tray I can give you the serial #, and model info and possibly the original carrier. 

For privacy a CSA might not help. 

And of course if it rings...answer it. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Also if you pull sim, obtain phone number, then text the number as they may have iMessage set up on other Apple devices...or they may have set up to received all texts on all Apple devices. I can  try  number to iMessage if you don’t have a Apple device. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ah, yes. I totally forgot about that with IPhones (And that is with me having one LOL). This is a very good tip @koen4224 See if you can see a name using the tip @CountyDownIeUk gave

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

See if you can find emergency info on phone. 

Note: A first responder views your Medical ID from the Lock Screen by swiping up or pressing the Home button (depending on your iPhone model), tapping Emergency on the passcode screen, then tapping Medical ID.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

1. Thank you for being a good samairtan. It is nice to see not all good people are dead. 2. Like what @JK8 said, someone will eventually call so you can answer and explain what has happened and how to return the phone. Now I do not know whether the Customer support agents would be able to help but it is worth a shot so do it anyways and follow the instructions @hTideGnow gave 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@koen4224 

Someone is bound to call…answer and see if they can assist you with the rightful owner.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @koen4224   you are a great person!!

yes, you can open ticket with CS agent by message them

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

After ticket is submitted, make sure to check your Community Inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically for response from PM