cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about the new Public Points.

Hishighness420
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey all, I'm trying to decide if switching or staying is best for me when it comes to points vs the old program. I just had some questions hopefully you all can answer. 🙂

#1 I pay $15 a month now on autopay, so it estimates the amount back I'll get is 0.75 points a month. I just want to make sure fractional points are a thing, so after 2 months I'll have earned 1.5 points, then 2.25 points, then 3 points, etc.

#2 It says I'll get 1 point for every month I've been with Public, does that continue into the future, so I'd get 1 point a month or is it just for the past and then after that I don't get 1 per month?

#3 Is there somewhere that says how much the add ons are? Or are they just converted in points to dollars, so 1 GB of Data is $15 so it would be 15 points?

#4 Finally, has public said anything about keeping the 250mb for autopay? I see it's still listed as a part of my plan, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything about them getting rid of it for points members. Reason is that feature is pretty much the entire reason I switched to Public so I could get emails and stuff on my phone.

Thanks everyone!

11 REPLIES 11

Hi @BEER   the 250 mb data is include with or without the Autopay enabled.   It has been like this for long time., for sure before the CRTC mandate. 

It might be a glitch in the beginning.    But now with the CRTC mandate, PM cannot remove it.  However, they still market it as Autopay freebies , even though it is not

(btw, I think the CRTC is a "recommendation" only, is it a mandate?)

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CountyDownIeUk wrote:

@Hishighness420 

250mb of data is a CTRC mandate as per below. 

I have also heard autopay or no autopay you must be given 250mb. 

603DDB6E-8DF9-49ED-BA9B-FF8104CDC92B.jpeg

Someone should tell Bell Mobility that they should include data even without auto pay.

Bell Plan. $15/mo

100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling Plan

250 MBData at 3G speeds when you register for Automatic Top-Up

100 minutesCanada-wide Calls

UnlimitedCanada-wide & International Texts

yuma2021
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

yuma2021_0-1645065017702.png

this might help new point system. which only one bill cut off discount for now. which you need 15 poinit =$15

others all extra data,talk , text etc. 

old reward system is way better then new.

i had free time so i made chart. hope this work for you .

yuma2021_1-1645065416178.png

@esjliv wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk - the header there says 'Postpaid'. I wonder if that is just an oversight on how it is written on their part?

Good point.....but it fits.  My apologies.....here is the CTRC definition. 

A640D31E-4BA4-4090-BBBC-0E855CDB30D8.jpeg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CountyDownIeUk - the header there says 'Postpaid'. I wonder if that is just an oversight on how it is written on their part?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Hishighness420 

250mb of data is a CTRC mandate as per below. 

I have also heard autopay or no autopay you must be given 250mb. 

603DDB6E-8DF9-49ED-BA9B-FF8104CDC92B.jpeg

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Staying or switching is really up to you - HOWEVER on the plus side if you switch you would get a one time migration bonus for every year you have been with PM. For example if you started your plan 2 years ago you would get 24 points ($24) in addition to a 5 point ($5) bonus for switching. That's money that you can use immediately  towards monthly plan fees, data, etc. including entry into draws. Also if you stay with "auto pay" you would still get the 250 gb data each month.

*** Just read on one of the other responses that with the  $15 plan, you get 250Mb with or without Autopay.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Hishighness420 You're better off staying on old rewards if you want to save money. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

#1 Fractional points should not be rounded as per initial announcement so if you earn 0.75 that will be on your account.

#2 will be too good to be true. Unfortunately it is only 10 points/year for every year you are with PM.

1 year = 10 p, 2 years = 10p, 3 y = 10 p. and NOT 1y=10, 2y=20, 3y=30.

You would get some one-time perk points when and if you switch.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Hishighness420 

For your questions:

1. yes for parital points, but with $15 plan , you are MUCH better staying with the OLD system for  $2 Autopay discount.   New reward system  just give you $0.75 worth of points

2. the 1 point every month is ONLY a  one time migration bonus.  

After you joined, you only get 10 points per year.  You are much better staying with the OLD system to earn Loyalty reward ($1/month after completion of 1st year , $2/month after 2nd year, up to $5/months after 5th year) 

3. Generally speaking Add-ons are around 33% cheaper if you claim with points in the new system.

So, 1GB Data is only 10 reward points (equals to $10) rather than the full price of $15

Here is the Add-on price vs points: 

Spoiler

US Roaming
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Bundle - US Roaming - Talk Text 250 Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00 (15 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) - $10.00 (5 Reward points)
Data - US Roaming - 500 MB Data (10-day) - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
Text - US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)
Talk - US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00 (5 Reward points)

Data
1GB Add-on - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
200MB Add-on - $5.00 (5 Reward points)

Talk
100 Philippines Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
1000 U.K. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
1000 U.S. Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
300 International Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
500 China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)
500 min Canada-Wide Long Distance - $5.00 (5 Reward points)
750 India & Pakistan Long Distance Minutes - $15.00 (10 Reward points)

4.  Autopay Data bonus still there with either Old or New system.  To be honest, there is a glitch with $15 plan, you get 250Mb with or without Autopay.  But with $25 plan and above, you need to have Autopay enabled to get the 500Mb bonus

this is the general summary of the new system comparing with Old

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more loyalty rewards, meaning the loyalty discount of $1/month up to $5/month will disappear. Instead, they will only give $10 each year on the anniversary.

For someone with PM between 1st to 12th month
                  The old reward system will give $0 that year, versus $10 at the end of the 12th month with thew new system
    For someone with PM between the 13th and 24th month:
                    The old reward program will give $12 that year ($1/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 24th month with the new system
    For someone with PM between months 25th and 36th:
                   the old reward program will give $24 that year ($2/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 36th month with the new system
    for someone with PM between months 61 and 72 (and every year after that after that point)
                  the old reward program will give $60/year ($5/cycle) versus $10/year under the new system 

3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot
    Also, you have to remember to convert your points to dollars once it reaches 15 points.  PM no longer automatic apply the reward discount.

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Hishighness420 wrote:

Hey all, I'm trying to decide if switching or staying is best for me when it comes to points vs the old program. I just had some questions hopefully you all can answer. 🙂

Many posters in the forum have had discussions of this. I will tell you my summary. If you are on a $40 or hight plan, it may be more $'s saving in the long run. Otherwise, I do not feel it is worth it.

#1 I pay $15 a month now on autopay, so it estimates the amount back I'll get is 0.75 points a month. I just want to make sure fractional points are a thing, so after 2 months I'll have earned 1.5 points, then 2.25 points, then 3 points, etc.

Yes, fractional are a thing. So it would be 0.75 points received on $15 payment. 

#2 It says I'll get 1 point for every month I've been with Public, does that continue into the future, so I'd get 1 point a month or is it just for the past and then after that I don't get 1 per month?

Quote:

"you'll earn one point for every month you've been with Public Mobile when you join Public Points.

After you join, you'll also earn 10 points for every 12 months you stay with us."

#3 Is there somewhere that says how much the add ons are? Or are they just converted in points to dollars, so 1 GB of Data is $15 so it would be 15 points?
See points catalogue: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/Public-Points-Catalogue

#4 Finally, has public said anything about keeping the 250mb for autopay? I see it's still listed as a part of my plan, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard anything about them getting rid of it for points members. Reason is that feature is pretty much the entire reason I switched to Public so I could get emails and stuff on my phone.

Nothing know about keeping or changing this plan. So, it is here for as long as it is posted (like any other plan).

Also that $15 plan comes with 250MB regardless of whether or not you are on Autopay or not (this is the only plan like this).

Thanks everyone!

Need Help? Let's chat.