cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiring sim card and out of country

serenahsieh00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, the community I have a question for you all, I have some issues with my SIM Card. I am currently in Spain as I have been here since January 6, 2022, and won't be back from home in Canada until March 25, 2022, at least. I have gotten a temporary SIM Card in Spain so I have taken out my Public Mobile Sim Card. However, I have gotten a message on my iPhone that my Sim Card will expire in 4 days as of today February 3, 2022 (CEST Time). Is there any way to activate my Sim Card without making a phone call here in Spain (it's basically impossible to make a phone call anyway)? Also, I'm not able to find my IMEI number because right now the IMEI is my temporary Spain Sim Card/Number. I really hope someone can help me as I really want to keep my phone number as it would be a big hassle to change my number and plus I love my number. 

***** Thank you everyone for replying and helping me the issue has been solved! 

19 REPLIES 19

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@serenahsieh00 

When SIM get switched then it is normal to get a msg from Apple to get the SIM back and keep the number for iMessage and Facetime. Ignore it and your number for these both facilities will be updated to your Spanish number.

When you ll put your PM SIM back then also you ll get a message about the same thing. 

that SMS is for people who are trying another SIM for testing or borrowing.

your account is good. Dont worry.

VIP_Tech
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @serenahsieh00 

don't worry about your plan with public mobile, and this message is coming from Apple because security device from Apple system found you change IP address in different country just ignore Apple message but unless you want to use Facetime you need to updated your phone number but if you can check your email Apple will send to you a security notifications and Follow the instructions in your email.. 

and you will be back to Canada until March 25, 2022, then if you like to save some money you can remove your Autopay from your account, and when be back enter your payment details to be Reactivate.

don't forget to review about Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

@Anonymous 

The PM SIM is ok. That’s normal messaging from Apple when you change the SIM in an iPhone. Since a SIM change does not happen much....the messages can be misleading (upsetting). Apple has been stepping up security. 

As long as the PM account is paid or suspended for no more than 80 days (really 90, but be safe), both the account and SIM is valid. OP could keep paying but I would suggest to change plan to $15 then back to $40 to save some money.  That is....only if OP does not lose any extras. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : From the OP. From the thread. From the images supplied by the OP after wondering about the message about an expiring SIM. You're one of the Apple guys here so I wondered if you could shed some light on the matter for the OP.

@Anonymous wrote:

@CountyDownIeUk :

Doesn't *#06# work on iphones?

Yes it does. 

What say you about all the messages the OP got? All the Apple ID stuff.

uh.....I don’t understand your question. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CountyDownIeUk : Doesn't *#06# work on iphones? What say you about all the messages the OP got? All the Apple ID stuff.

On your iPhone goto settings, general, about, scroll down and you will find your IMEI number. It may also be on back of phone or on SIM card tray depending on your model.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@serenahsieh00 : Right. From Apple. Not here. I'm not an Apple guy so I don't know nuthin' about all that stuff. 🙂

So you're on the $40 plan and it will renew on the 22nd. You could choose to suspend it and save your 40 bucks and then reactivate moments before you leave or when you arrive. You've already kinda wasted that money when you renewed on Jan 23rd-ish from autopay.

@serenahsieh00   Your message from your iPhone is your iMessage account issue.  It is because you are using a different SIM on your iPhone

Your PM account.  No worry.  It actually got renewed on Jan 23 already.  All Good. 

Your next payment day is Feb 22.  There are ways to save the $40 while you are away on the trip.  You can put it on Lost/Stolen closer to Feb 22 and reactivate when you are back.  Or if you don't want to have the trouble , you can just leave it there (afterall, it is a one time $40 saving at this point anyway).   If you do nothing and let Autopay continue, On Feb 22 and March 24, PM will use Autopay to get the renewal money

For your iPhone iMessage-number issue, any Apple expert can advise

serenahsieh00

Thank you for your reply! 

serenahsieh00

Hey z10user4 these are the screenshots I took (sorry if its little blurry) 

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 6.03.57 PM.png

IMG_9083.jpg

IMG_9085 3.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@serenahsieh00 : Again, the mystery is the message you got which brought you here asking. Are you able to post a screenshot of that message. It's not possible to have come from here while you are in Spain so it must be from a different source. AND with your PM SIM out to boot.

As for the timing...when did you last pay? You could also think of the timing as being about 4 months from the last payment. So if you last paid mid to late November then you would have something to worry about. You had working service on the 6th so it would have to be at least early December. So even if the account suspends for lack of payment (which it shouldn't because you have autopay on...you might want to think about turning it off and letting the account suspend) then you should be fine for when you return.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@serenahsieh00 

If you are currently on AutoPay and your Self Serve account shows Active,

you should be good.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If your account is suspended for more than 90 days, your PM service will be cancelled/terminated.

You should log on at around 88th day and top up your account and resume service.

>>>>>I have gotten a message on my iPhone that my Sim Card will expire in 4 days as of today February 3, 2022

How did you get this message if your PM SIM is not in your phone and you CANNOT have service in Spain with PM account?

@serenahsieh00   Can you login Self-Serve My Account, it will tell you if your are currently Active or Suspended or next payment date or last payment date before you lost your number. (Account Status is right after the colour box)   Send us a screenshot and would be able to better advise

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/

serenahsieh00

Hey softech thank so much for you reply! I'm wondering how can you check the current status of my account cause I can't seem to find it. And yes my phone was working perfectly fine before January 6 and took off on my flight to Spain. I am still currently paying my phone plan/autopay is still on even though I am abroad. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@serenahsieh00   So, was your PM service  working without issue on Jan 5 or 6 when you were still in Canada?

Can you try to login to My Account and see what is the current status?  Is it Active? or Suspended? 

If it is Suspended, it should show you a future date that you need to reactivate or you will lost your number.  If the date is AFTER March 25, then you can wait till you are back in Canada to reactivate the service to save some money.

If it is Suspended and it shows the last date to renew is BEFORE March 25, then you can make a manual Payment and click Reactivate current plan and logoff My Account.  Log back on in 10 minutes and MAKE SURE the status is showing Active 

Also, If you have service without issue in Jan 5 or 6 when you were in Canada, then if you have Autopay enabled, PM will still charge you and renew without issue

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@serenahsieh00 If you have taken out PM SIM and using local SIM then how you are getting Public Mobile's msg about the SIM.

It must be Spanish SIM which you got new in Spain. 

IMEI is your phone IMEI #. Go in settings of the phone and you ll find it.

SIM # will be on SIM. 

If you were paid for the current cycle on Jan6th and coming back on Mar 25th then if you put your account on hold/suspend state after removing autopay, it should be good. Just re-activate on Mar24th and add autopay again if you want.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Log in to your self-serve account and see when the plan will expire. If it has expired then see when it will deactivate. Then make sure you pay _before_ that date. Whether you'll be home or not. If you arrive home before that date then you would be reactivating anyway.

Edit: I don't know what that expired message is. Sounds like an iphone thing. What matters is what your account says.

Need Help? Let's chat.